Last updated on April 4th, 2022 at 04:08 pm
Facts About Liv Ullmann
|Celebrated Name||Liv Ullmann|
|Age||84 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Liv Ullmann|
|Place Of Birth||Tokyo|
|Famous For||Famous as a Norwegian actress and film director|
|Best Known For||Known for her lead role of Kristina in the 1971 Swedish film "The Emigrants"|
|Father||Erik Viggo Ullmann|
|Sisters||Janna Eika Ullmann|
|University||Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)|
|Marital Status||Married and Divorced|
|Net Worth||$20 million|
Liv Ullmann is a Norwegian actress and film director who is best known for her lead role as Kristina in the 1971 Swedish film "The Emigrants". Her role in the film garnered critical acclaim and earned her an Academy Award nomination and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress.
Ullmann is widely regarded as one of the best European actresses of all time. She received an Honorary Academy Award on March 25, 2022, for her "bravery and emotional honesty that has rewarded spectators with truly poignant movie representations." From her relationship with Swedish director Ingmar Bergman, she had a daughter, Linn Ullmann, who is an author and journalist.
What Is Liv Ullmann Famous For?
- Famous as a Norwegian actress and film director
- Known for her lead role as Kristina in the 1971 Swedish film "The Emigrants"
Where Was Liv Ullmann Born?
Liv Ullmann was born on December 16, 1938, in Tokyo, Japan. Her birthname is Liv Johanne Ullmann. She holds Norwegian nationality. Her ethnicity is White while Saggitarius is her zodiac sign.
She was born as the daughter of Erik Viggo Ullmann(father) and Janna Erbe(mother). Her father was an aircraft engineer. Her parents were in Tokyo at the time of her birth owing to her father's work. She has a sister named, Janna Eika Ullmann.
When she was 2, her family moved to Toronto, Ontario, where her father worked at the Norwegian air force installation on Toronto Island (in Lake Ontario) during Second World War.
Her father died from head injuries due to being struck by an airplane propeller four years after her family moved to New York. Following her father's death, her mother started working as a bookseller to continue the family's living. Then, they moved to Trondelag county, Norway. Later, she attended the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) and got graduated.
Liv Ullmann's Career
- Liv Ullmann began her acting career in Norway in the mid-1950s, performing in theater productions.
- She has acted in several theatre shows including "A Doll's House", "Anna Christie", "I Remember Mama", and "Ghosts".
- She made her film debut in 1957 with the role of Hotel Guest in the film "Fools in the Mountains".
- She then played the role of Gerd in the 1959 Norwegian film "The Wayward Girl".
- Ullmann came to prominence for her work with her then-boyfriend, Ingmar Bergman. She went on to star in ten of his films, including Persona (1966), The Passion of Anna (1969), Cries and Whispers (1972), and Autumn Sonata (1978), all of which received critical praise.
- She appeared frequently alongside Erland Josephson, a Swedish actor and another Bergman partner with whom she co-wrote the Swedish television drama Scenes from a Marriage (1973).
- In the year 1968, she played the role of Alma Borg in the Swedish psychological horror film "Hour of the Wolf". Her role in the film was appreciated a lot and earned her numerous awards.
- Ullmann got her career breakthrough in 1971 by portraying the lead role of Kristina in the Swedish film "The Emigrants". Her role in the film garnered critical acclaim and earned her an Academy Award nomination and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress.
- She led the jury at the 34th Berlin International Film Festival in 1984, and she chaired the jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 2002.
- In the 1976 Swedish psychological drama film "Face to Face," she played the starring part of Dr. Jenny Isaksson. Her performance won her a slew of nominations, including one for an Academy Award.
- In 1992, she made her directing debut with the Danish drama "Sofie." Erland Josephson, a friend, and former co-star appeared in the film.
- She then directed the 1995 Norwegian film "Kristin Lavransdatter" under HVE Entertainment.
- She went on to direct the Bergman-penned film "Faithless" in 2000. The film earned her a nomination for the Palme d'Or.
- In 2009, she gave her voice to the role of mother in the animated film "Sinna Mann".
- She was awarded for her Outstanding Contributions to International Cinema at the International Indian Film Academy Awards in Singapore in 2012.
- She portrayed the role of Ase in the German war drama film "Zwei Leben( Two Lives)" in 2012.
- She also chaired the jury at the 30th Moscow International Film Festival in 2008.
- Ullmann received an Honorary Academy Award on March 25, 2022, for her "bravery and emotional honesty that has rewarded spectators with truly poignant movie representations."
Liv Ullmann Awards
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama
- 2 National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actress
- 3 Montreal World Film Festival Award
- 2 National Board of Review Award for Best Actress
- 2 New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actress
- 2 David di Donatello Award for Best Foreign Actress
- Guldbagge Award for Best Actress
Who Is Liv Ullmann's Husband?
Liv Ullmann is currently single. However, she was previously married to Donald Saunders. Donald was a real estate developer. The couple tied the knot in 1985. Later, the couple kicked off their marriage and got divorced in 1995. They had no children together.
She was dating Ingmar Bergman from 1965-1970. Bergman was a Swedish director, screenwriter, producer, and playwright who is widely regarded as one of the world's most successful and influential films. The couple shared a daughter, Linn Ullmann who was born in 1966. Linn is a famous Norwegian author and journalist.
Previously, she also had a relationship with American actor, John Lithgow. She has traveled extensively for UNICEF as a Goodwill Ambassador. She is also a co-founder of the Women's Refugee Commission and serves as its honorary chair.
She was appointed a Commander with Star of the Order of St. Olav by King Harald V of Norway in 2005. In 2006, she was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Philosophy by the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
How Much Is Liv Ullmann's Worth?
Liv Ullmann has earned a handsome sum of money from her profession as an actress and film director. Ullmann began her career in 1957 and has since progressed to become one of Europe's best actresses during her 57-year career. She has been in many films and has earned a substantial quantity of money as a result. Including all of her earnings, she has an estimated net worth of $20 million as of 2022. She is living a luxurious lifestyle with her earnings.
How tall is Liv Ullmann?
Liv Ullmann is a beautiful woman with a well-maintained body physique in her mid-80s. She has a fair complexion with blonde hair and a pair of sparkling blue eyes. She stands tall with a height of 5ft 7inches(1.72m) and has a bodyweight of 60kg.
Trivias About Liv Ullmann You Need To Know.
- Liv Ullmann was born in Tokyo, Japan.
- She has been nominated twice for Academy Award.
- During WWII, her grandpa was transported to the Dachau detention camp in Germany for assisting Jews in fleeing the town where he resided in Norway; he perished there.
- She chaired the jury at the 30th Moscow International Film Festival