Maria Sakkari - Bio, Net Worth, Dating, Boyfriend, Tennis Player, Nationality, Age, Ranking, Coach, Career, Facts, Wiki, Parents, Height, Family, Size
Maria Sakkari is a Greek professional tennis player who currently competes in the Women's Tennis Association(WTA). She debuted at the 2015 US Open against Wang Qiang with a loss. She has won 1 WTA title and 12 ITF titles in her career. She won her WTA title after defeating Johanna Konta in the finals at Rabat Grand Prix in May 2019. At present, she is ranked at no.21 in singles and she is ranked at no.181 in doubles. Her best ranking in singles is 20 till the date.
She is also active in the social media platform with around 167k followers on her Instagram: @sakkattack7 and around 18k followers on her Twitter: @mariasakkari. Besides on 7th September 2020, she faced her idol and former no.1, Serena Williams in the 4th round of the Open under the coaching of Tom Hill and got defeated with points in favor of Williams:3-6, 7-6, and 3-6. Reaching the 4th round, she defeated Stefanie Vogele, Bernarda Pera, and Amanda Anisimova in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round respectively.
What is Maria Sakkari famous for?
- Famous as a Greek professional tennis player
Where was Maria Sakkari born?
Maria Sakkari was born on July 25, 1995, in Athens, Greece. Her birth name is Maria Sakkari. Greek is her nationality. Her ethnicity is Arvanites while Leo is her zodiac sign.
She was born as the second daughter of Konstantinos Sakkaris(father) and Angelikí Kanellopoúlou(mother). Her mother is a former Greek tennis player and is the first inspiration for Maria. She has a brother, Yannis, and an elder sister, Amanda. She was raised in her hometown, Athens along with her siblings. At the young age of 6, she started playing tennis. Other than her mother, her inspirations are Sarena Williams, Rafael Nadal, and Roger Federer to play tennis.
She did her schooling from Vellios School of Art. Later, she moved to Barcelona, Spain to pursue her career in tennis. As a junior, she participated in many competitions and won most of them. In the year 2012, she made her debut for the Greece Fed Cup team. She has a win-loss record of 12-18 in the Fed Cup. Altogether, she has reached 26 ITF finals and has won 7 finals in singles and 5 finals in doubles.
Maria Sakkari's Career: Highlights
- Maria Sakkari started her professional tennis career by making her Grand Slam debut at the 2015 US Open. In her debut, she lost to Wang Qiang.
- In the year 2017, she reached her first WTA semi-final at the Wuhan Open by beating Alize Cornet in the third round.
- Later, she got defeated by Caroline Garcia in the semi-finals.
- After her tremendous success, she reached the top 50 of the WTA rankings in 2017.
- Sakkari reached the third round of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time at the Australian Open in 2017.
- In the third round, she faced Venus Williams and got defeated.
- She started her 2018 season with four straight losses. Later, she got her first win of the season after defeating Lara Arruabarrena in the first round at Indian Wells.
- She reached the 4th round of Indian Wells Open before losing to Stefanie Vogele.
- In the same season, she defeated World no.9, Karolína Plíšková in the second round of Italian Open.
- She reached her 1st WTA final at the San Jose after defeating Venus Williams in the semi-finals.
- In the finals, she got defeated by Michaela Buzarnescu.
- In August 2018, she reached her career's then highest ranking of no.31
- In the year 2019, she reached the semi-finals at the Italian Open before getting defeated by Karolina Plíšková.
- She won her first WTA title in Rabat Grand Prix after defeating Johanna Konta in the finals with points of 2-6, 6-4, and 6-1.
- On 24th February 2020, she ranked her career-best no.20 and on 10th August, she ranked at no.21
- On 7th September 2020, she got defeated by her idol, Serena Williams in the round of 16 of the US Open.
Everything To Know About Stefanos Tsitsipas
Who is Maria Sakkari dating?
The tennis player, Maria Sakkari is not married till the date but she is currently dating Stefanos Tsitsipas. Tsitsipas is also a Greek tennis player and is currently World no.5. They know each other since their childhood and they started dating in 2018. At present, she resides in Monte Carlo, Monaco.
Stefanos suffered a loss against Borna Coric in the 3rd round of the US Open on 5th September 2020. Later on 6th September, she said, "Yeah, no, I know it’s tough. I didn’t want to text him or anything so soon, because I know it hurts. I have never played five sets in my life, and I’m sure it’s going to hurt even more,". on his loss.
What is the net worth of Maria Sakkari?
The Greek professional tennis player, Maria Sakkari has earned a good amount of money from her profession. She has an estimated net worth of $1 million as of 2020.
Her net worth includes all her property and her present earnings. Along with the titles, she has won many cash prizes. She also makes money from her endorsement deals. At present, she is living a luxurious lifestyle with her earnings.
How tall is Maria Sakkari?
The 25 years aged, Maria Sakkarin has a well maintained athletic body. She has a fair complexion with brown hair and a pair of hazel eyes. She stands at a height of 5ft 8inches(1.73m) and has a body weight of 62kg. Her body measurement is 34-22-33 inches. Her body shape is an hourglass and her shoe size is 7(US).