Marie Smith Jones - Bio, Death, Age, Facts, Family, Work, Nationality, Birthday, Wiki, Children, Husband, Last Alaskan Eyak, Early Life, Trivia
Marie Smith Jones was the last surviving speaker of the Eyak language of Southcentral Alaska. Later, She becomes an honorary chief of the Eyak Nation and the last remaining full-blooded Eyak. She records the Eyak language and with the help of linguist Michael E. Krauss, who compiled a dictionary and grammar of it. Let's explore her through this article.
- The last surviving speaker of the Eyak language of Southcentral Alaska.
- An honorary chief of the Eyak Nation and the last remaining full-blooded Eyak.
Early Life & Family
Recalling her early life, Marie was born in Cordova, Alaska, U.S. in the year 1918 and grew up in Eyak Lake. Her birth name is Marie Smith Jones. She is American by nationality and belongs to mixed ethnicity. Similarly, her birth sign is Taurus. Further, there is no information available about her parents, siblings, and her academic qualification on the online sites yet. That shows, it is yet to be revealed.
What does Marie Smith do?
- Talking about her work, Alaska's people did not learn to speak the Eyak language (mother tongue) due to the social stigma associated with it at the time. Later, She records the Eyak language because it would survive, she worked with linguist Michael E. Krauss, who compiled a dictionary and grammar of it.
- Afterward, She became politically active, and on two occasions she spoke at the United Nations on the issues of peace and indigenous languages. She was also active regarding environmental Indian issues, including clearcutting.
- Later, She becomes an honorary chief of the Eyak Nation and the last remaining full-blooded Eyak.
- In a 2005 interview, She explained that her name in Eyak is udAch' k'uqAXA'a'ch which, she said, translates as "a sound that calls people from afar".
Marie Smith Jones Death
Marie Smith Jones died on January 21st, 2008 at the age of 89 at her home in Anchorage. The postmortem reports said that her death is naturally with any health issues. Prior, She suffered from alcoholism earlier in her life but gave up drinking while in her early 50s; she remained a heavy smoker until her death.
Personal Life & Children
Reflecting on her personal life, Marie was married to William F. Smith on May 5th, 1948. Together, the pair proud to be parents of nine children until her death. The other information like her extramarital affairs and past relationship details is not available on the online sites. It shows, she is a good woman entire her life.
Height, Weight & Measurements
Before her death, Mare has a decent height and weight with white hair and brown eyes. Besides these, there is a lack of information about her other body information with us. If you know more about her and her body information or anything about her. Let us know by using the comment.