Facts About Martin Kemp
|Celebrated Name||Martin Kemp|
|Age||61 Years Old|
|Nick Name||Martin Kemp|
|Birth Name||Martin John Kemp|
|Profession||Actor , Musician , Director|
|Place Of Birth||Highbury, London|
|School||Rotherfield Junior School|
|Children||2; Roman Kemp and Harley Moon|
|Net Worth||$4 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Entertainment Industry|
|Eye Color||Pale Green|
Martin Kemp is an English actor, musician, and director who is famous for being the bassist in the new wave band Spandau Ballet and for his role as Steve Owen in "EastEnders". The band's debut studio album "Journeys to Glory" was released in 1981. Their 1983 album "True" reached #1 in the UK, the Netherlands, and New Zealand, and their 1984 album Parade reached #1 in Italy and the Netherlands. He is the younger brother of Gary Kemp, who is also a member of Spandau Ballet and an actor. In the year 2012, he finished third in the tenth series of Celebrity Big Brother, and in 2017 he appeared as a judge on the BBC series "Let It Shine". He made his film debut in the 1990 movie "The Krays" as Reggie Kray and he made his TV debut appearing in the 1992 show "Jackanory" as an extra role. As a director, he released the short film "Karma Magnet" in 2008 and then "Stalker" in 2010, and "Top Dog" in 2014. Recently, in February 2021, he appeared in "McDonald & Dodds", starring alongside Jason Watkins and Rob Brydon. On 24th March 2021, Kemp and his son Roman were featured in an episode of ITV's "DNA Journey".
What is Martin Kemp Famous For?
- Being an actor and musician from England.
- Being the bassist in the band Spandau Ballet.
- For his role in EastEnders as Steve Owen.
- Being the younger brother of Gary Kemp and father of Roman Kemp who is a British radio host and TV personality.
Where is Martin Kemp From?
Martin Kemp was born on 10th October 1961 to his father, Frank, and his mother, Eileen Kemp. His place of birth is Highbury, London, England. His full name is Martin John Kemp. He spent his childhood with his brother namely Gary. He cut his 60th birthday cake as of 2021. By nationality, he is British and his ethnicity is British-White. He follows the Christianity religion. Libra is his zodiac sign as per his birthdate.
About his educational background, he attended Rotherfield Junior School. From the age of 7, he attended the Anna Scher Theatre drama club with his brother Gary, and appeared in many TV shows, including Jackanory, The Tomorrow People, and Dixon of Dock Green. In his last year with Anna Scher, he won a role in The Glittering Prizes. Next, he attended Central Foundation Boys' School, Islington. After leaving school at 16, he began an apprenticeship in a print factory but soon became disenchanted.
Martin Kemp Career Timeline
- Martin Kemp in the initial phase of his career learned to play bass in three months and performed for the first time with the Gentry at a college party. He was suggested by Steve Dagger, the manager of his brother Gary's band the Gentry to replace the band's bass player.
- Later, the band was renamed Spandau Ballet and he left his printing job to concentrate on the band full-time.
- The band then went on to have a great deal of success in the New Romantic era, with four of their albums reaching the top ten of the UK Albums Chart.
- Their third studio album "True" gave the band their first UK number-one album and, with the album's title track, single.
- Additionally, he performed with the band on the popular 1984 famine-relief-project song "Do They Know It's Christmas?".
- Later, the band split up in the early 1990s.
- "Spandau Ballet" then announced they had reformed at a press conference on HMS Belfast on 25 March 2009. The band also announced a world tour, beginning with dates in the UK and Ireland in October 2009.
- Later, he alongside his brother, Gary went into the acting field in 1990. They both appeared in the British film "The Krays".
- Next, he moved to Los Angeles in the early 1990s and made appearances in television series such as "The Outer Limits" and "Highlander: The Series".
- Further, he appeared in several Hollywood films, including "Waxwork II: Lost in Time" (1992) and "Embrace of the Vampire" (1994).
- In 1998, he resumed his acting career and made a guest appearance in the ITV police drama series "The Bill".
- He came to fame after he played his role as villain Steve Owen in the BBC's top soap opera, "EastEnders" since December 1998.
- He was the subject of "This Is Your Life" in 1999.
- Next, he signed a contract with ITV in 2002 and started starring in several television dramas, including "The Brides in the Bath" and "Can't Buy Me Love".
- He also starred in the short-lived crime drama series Family in 2003.
- Further, he starred in a low-budget British film titled "Back in Business".
- He founded his own production company and in March 2008 directed a low-budget 20-minute short film entitled "Karma Magnet".
- After then, he appeared on a celebrity special of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" in January 2008.
- Also, he featured in one edition of a factual television series for Five, Dangerous Adventures For Boys.
- He appeared on the Discovery Channel television program "Chop Shop" in 2008.
- He hosted TV's 50 Hardest Men for Sky1 in July 2008 and guest-starred as Mr. Burley in the BBC drama series "Waterloo Road".
- In 2011, he starred as "Dr. Lawrence" in "Jack Falls".
- He appeared as a contestant on the second series of ITV's 71 Degrees North in November 2011.
- His first feature film as director, "Stalker", was released in 2011.
- He was announced as the thirteenth celebrity to participate in the summer series of "Celebrity Big Brother" 2012. He appeared in the final episode and was placed third on 7 September 2012.
- He appeared as The Childcatcher in the UK and Ireland tour of the musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, alongside Jason Manford, Phil Jupitus, and Michelle Collins from February to April 2016.
- He hosted the first series of "Martin Kemp's Murder Files", which was aired from November 2016, on the UK TV channel Quest.
- In December 2017, he appeared as Captain Hook in "Peter Pan - The World's Biggest Pantomime" at the Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham and the SSE Arena in Wembley.
- In November 2019, he alongside his wife released their first album together as Martin & Shirlie, titled "In the Swing of It" via Sony Music.
- In June 2020, Kemp, alongside his son, Roman premiered as hosts of the new Sunday breakfast program for ITV, "Martin & Roman's Sunday Best!".
- In October 2020, Kemp with his wife Shirley published "Shirlie and Martin Kemp: It's a Love Story", an autobiography-cum-relationship advice book.
- In February 2021, he appeared in "McDonald & Dodds", starring alongside Jason Watkins and Rob Brydon.
- On 24th March 2021, Kemp and his son Roman were featured in an episode of ITV's "DNA Journey".
- In April 2021, Kemp and his son Roman Kemp began presenting Martin & Roman’s Weekend Best; a spin-off of Martin & Roman's Sunday Best!.
- In December 2021, he appeared as Father Christmas as part of a government campaign to encourage people to get their coronavirus vaccinations ahead of the Christmas holidays.
Martin Kemp Awards and Achievements
Martin Kemp won three TV Quick Awards for Best Soap Actor (2000, 2001, 2002), a National Television Award for Most Popular Actor (2000) and five British Soap Awards (Villain of the Year in 2000, Best Actor in 2001 and 2002, and Sexiest Male in 2001 and 2002) for his work on EastEnders.
Who is Martin Kemp married to?
Martin Kemp is a married man. He tied a knot to his beautiful wife, Shirlie Holliman. Since 1988, they are together and till now, their love bond is very strong. His spouse, Shirlie is a former backing singer of the group Wham! and one half of the 1980s pop duo, Pepsi & Shirlie. The couple has a daughter, Harley Moon (born August 1989), and a son, Roman (born January 1993).
His sexual orientation is straight.
How much is Martin Kemp Net Worth?
Martin Kemp is a renowned actor as well as a musician who has acted in several movies and TV shows as well as released a number of songs and albums with the band previously before its split. As of 2022, the net worth of Martin Kemp is estimated to have $4 Million. His main source of wealth is from the entertainment industry and he is living a cool lifestyle as of today. His exact salary details and career earnings are still to get disclosed yet.
How tall is Martin Kemp?
Martin Kemp at the age of 60 still looks very handsome with an average body type. He stands at the perfect height of 6 feet or 1.83 m with a bodyweight of 82 Kg. His other body size is unavailable at the moment. His hair color is white-gray and his eye color is pale green. Overall, he has got a healthy body with a charming personality attracting a lot of people towards him. Following surgery to remove the tumors, Kemp had a protective metal plate implanted over his brain under the scalp. The plate is unnoticeable but not undetectable; during an appearance on the Frank Skinner Show in 2002, Kemp jokingly remarked he could never slip quietly through metal-detectors at airports, as the plate would set the alarm off.
Trivias About Martin Kemp You Need To Know.
- On 20 January 2006, Kemp opened a new CT scanning suite at Russells Hall Hospital, Dudley, West Midlands.
- Kemp is a lifelong Arsenal fan, having been born and raised in the Highbury area.
- From 2004 to 2007, he was the face of furniture chain ScS.
- He is a patron of British/Irish charity the Encephalitis Society. At the time he became a patron, he confirmed that he had controlled epilepsy since the 1990s, as a result of two brain tumours.