Facts About Martin Scorsese
|Celebrated Name||Martin Scorsese|
|Age||80 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Martin Charles Scorsese|
|Profession||Director , Actor , Writer|
|Place Of Birth||Queens, New York City|
|Education||New York University|
|Educational Qualification||MFA in Film Directing|
|Spouse||Laraine Marie Brennan (M. 1965; Div. 1971), Julia Cameron (M. 1976; Div. 1977), Isabella Rossellini (M. 1979; Div. 1982), Barbara De Fina (M. 1985; Div. 1991) and Helen Schermerhorn Morris (M. 1999 to present)|
|Daughter||Catherine, Francesca and Domenica Cameron Scorsese|
|Height||5 feet 4 inches|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
|Net Worth||$100 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Film Industry|
|Links||Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook|
Martin Scorsese is an acclaimed American director and writer whose films like ‘Mean Streets’ and ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ have shaped the history of American cinema. The legendary director is known for his steely, often violent and painstaking filmmaking style and is widely considered as one of the most important directors of all time. Having spent nearly half a century behind the camera, Martin has made a string of landmark films, such as ‘Goodfellas’, ‘The Last Waltz’, ‘The King of Comedy’, ‘Taxi Driver’, ‘Raging Bull’, ‘The Departed’ and many more. He has also written many screenplays.
He is the founder and the honorable president of The Film Foundation. Martin, as a member of the advisory board for the Independent Film Channel, has also been very active in promoting independent filmmakers. He has been honored with a host of nominations and awards including the Lifetime Achievement Award by The American Film Institute, Academy Award, Palme d'Or, Silver Lion, Grammy Award, Emmys, Golden Globes, BAFTAs and DGA Awards. To know more about him, keep reading below.
Who are the parents of Martin Scorsese?
Recalling his early life, Martin was born in Queens, New York City, USA. His ethnicity is Sicilian (Italian) and nationality is dual (American-Italian). He was given a birth name as Martin Charles Scorsese. His birth sign is Scorpio. His father’s name was Charles and his mother’s name was Catherine Scorsese. They both worked part-time as actors.
Martin had developed his interest and passion at the age of eight but due to being a Catholic, his first choice was to become a priesthood. He was a victim of Asthma since childhood so he could not make his participation in neighborhood and social activities.
Regarding his education, Martin joined the Film School at New York University in a scholarship of 500 US dollars after his 10-minute comedy short film. He completed his MFA in film directing at New York University in 1966 and he worked as a film instructor at the university.
When did Martin Scorsese begin to start filmmaking?
- He completed his first feature-length film ‘Who’s That Knocking at My Door’ in 1968 and in the meantime, he met actor Harvey Keitel. Martin got the position of assistant director and supervising editor in ‘Woodstock’ in 1970 after he got positive reviews from his first project.
- He worked for several hard-hitting films throughout the 1970s and 1980s that ultimately helped to define the new age in cinema. Some of his major works include ‘Street Scenes’ in 1970, ‘Medicine Ball Caravan’ in 1971, ‘Italianamerican’ in 1974, ‘The Last Waltz’ in 1978, ‘Raging Bull’ in 1980, etc.
- Martin achieved Oscar nomination for ‘The Last Temptation of Christ’ in 1988 and he released the most important gangster movies ‘Goodfellas’ in 1990 and ‘Casino’ in 1995, with whom he collaborated with the actor, Robert De Niro.
- Along with Leonardo DiCaprio, they gave some awesome movies like ‘Gangs of New York’ in 2002, ‘The Aviator’ in 2004 and ‘The Departed in 2006’, which helped Martin to win Oscar.
- On October 22, 2007, Daily Variety reported that Scorsese would reunite with Leonardo DiCaprio on a fourth picture, Shutter Island. The film was released on February 19, 2010. On May 20, 2010, the film became Scorsese's highest-grossing film.
- On April 29, 2016, it was announced that Scorsese was in early talks to direct The General, a film based on the life of George Washington, in which he hoped to get Leonardo DiCaprio on board. He has also expressed interest in directing an adaptation of Home, the 2008 novel by Marilynne Robinson.
- In September 2017, Scorsese and DiCaprio were also reported to be developing a biopic in which DiCaprio will portray President Theodore Roosevelt.
- On January 10, 2019, Chris Willman from Variety reported that the long-anticipated documentary of Bob Dylan's 1975 tour, the Rolling Thunder Revue, would be released by Netflix: "Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese captures the troubled spirit of America in 1975 and the joyous music that Dylan performed during the fall of that year. Part documentary, part concert film, a part fever dream, Rolling Thunder is a one of a kind experience, from master filmmaker Martin Scorsese."
- He has currently begun his first-ever online class where he teaches about storytelling to editing and also his approach towards filmmaking.
What are the achievements od Martin Scorsese?
- Writers Guild of America (2003) - Martin was honored with the Evelyn F. Burkey Award for his remarkable journey as a screenplay writer.
- Walk of Fame (2003) - On 28 February 2003 at the 6801st Hollywood Blvd, Martin received the Star on the Walk of Fame Motion Picture Honor.
- Venice Film Festival (1990) - Martin won 4 awards under categories, Best Director, The silver Lion, Filmcritica Bastone Bianco and the Audience Award for ‘Goodfellas’.
- Grammy (2006) - Martin shared the award with Bob Dylan for his documentary, ‘No Direction Home: Bob Dylan’.
- Academy Award (2007) - Martin won the Best Achievement in Directing for ‘The Departed’.
- Scorsese has also garnered favorable responses from numerous film giants, who include Ingmar Bergman, Frank Capra, Jean-Luc Godard, Werner Herzog, Elia Kazan, Akira Kurosawa, David Lean, Michael Powell, Satyajit Ray, and François Truffaut. He was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Oxford on June 20, 2018.
Who is Martin Scorsese married to?
Reflecting on his personal life, Martin was married five times in his life. Firstly, he married Laraine Marie Brennan and they welcomed their daughter, Catherine but they got separated and later he married the renowned author, Julia Cameron in 1975 and divorced her after a year of the relationship. They also gave birth to a daughter Domenica Cameron-Scorsese in that period.
After this, He married actress Isabella Rossellini in 1979 but they also got divorced in 1983. Then, he got married to producer Barbara De Fina in 1985 but that relationship also ended in 1991. Currently, he is enjoying his fifth marriage with Helen Schermerhorn Morris. They married in 1995 and gave a beautiful girl named Francesca. At present, he seems to be happy with his current wife and children.
How much net worth does Martin Scorsese own?
As a film director, Martin earns a decent amount of money from the film industry. As per online sites, He has an estimated net worth of $100 million and his main source of earning is from his remarkable filmmaking style and his writings. However, his salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Martin Scorsese?
Observing his body statistics, Martin stands a height of 5 feet 4 inches and weighs around 68 kg. He has white hair and light brown eyes. Other information regarding his body measurement is not available right now. in the case of an update, we will let you know.
Trivias About Martin Scorsese You Need To Know.
- His name is pronounced "Scor-sez-see".
- He was a patient of asthma from his childhood.
- President of jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 1998.
- He was made a Fellow of the British Film Institute in recognition of his outstanding contribution to film culture.
- He is a huge fan of the British Hammer Films series.
- He was married five times in his life.