Martin Short - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Married, Wife, Family, Nationality, Height, Parents, Facts, Award, Career, TV Shows, Children, Wiki, Religion, SNL
Martin Short is a Canadian-American comedian, actor, and writer who is best known for his work on the television programs "SCTV" and "Saturday Night Live". In addition, he has starred in comedy films such as "Three Amigos" (1986), "Innerspace" (1987), "Three Fugitives" (1989), "Clifford" (1994), "Father of the Bride" (1991), "Pure Luck" (1991), "Captain Ron" (1992), "Father of the Bride Part II" (1995), "Mars Attacks!" (1996), "Jungle 2 Jungle" (1997), and "The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause" (2006). Initially, he was prompted by friends to go into acting. He was firstly cast in "Godspell", a Toronto production musically directed by Paul Shaffer, alongside the following cast members; Victor Garber, Gilda Radner, Eugene Levy, Dave Thomas, and Andrea Martin. Later on, he diverted into comedy and became public notice after joining Second City Television, SCTV. Working in Canada till 1979, he starred in "The Associates", a US sitcom about a group of young novice lawyers working at a Wall Street law firm. After a year, he joined the cast of "I'm a Big Girl Now", and later went on to create his own television shows; a sitcom, "The Martin Short Show" (1994); a sketch comedy show, "The Martin Short Show" (1995); and a talk show "The Martin Short Show" (1999-2000). Returning to Canada, he starred in a special show "I, Martin Short, Goes Home" featuring cast members Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Joe Flaherty, and Fred Willard. This show aired in 2012. Besides this, he has appeared in other varieties of TV shows as a guest and made a ton of movies. His memoir, covering his 40-year career in show business, "I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend", was released on November 4, 2014. He currently stars in the Hulu comedy series Only Murders in the Building (2021).
What is Martin Short Famous For?
- Being a Canadian-American actor, comedian, singer, and writer.
- For his role in "The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause" (2006), "Inherent Vice" (2014), and "Three Amigos!" (1986).
- For his character in SCTV and SNL, playing 'Jiminy Glick'.
What Ethnicity is Martin Short? Know About His Age, Nationality, Family
Martin Short was brought into this world by his parents on 26th March 1950 with the birth name of Martin Hayter Short in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. His present age is 71 as of 2021 which he celebrated with his close ones. His Zodiac sign falls under Aries. He holds Canadian-American nationality and he came from a mixed ethnic background as he is of Irish and English ancestry. He follows the Roman Catholicism religion. Moving to his family details, he was born as the youngest of five children of Olive Grace (nee Hayter; 1913-1968), a concertmistress of the Hamilton Symphony Orchestra, and Charles Patrick Short (1909-1970), a corporate executive with Stelco, a Canadian steel company. His father was an Irish Catholic emigrant from Crossmaglen, South Armagh, who came to North America as a stowaway during the Irish War of Independence. His mother was of English and Irish descent. About his siblings, he had three older brothers, David (now deceased), Michael, and Brian, and one older sister, Nora. His eldest brother, David, was killed in a car accident in Montréal in 1962 when Short was 12. His mother died of cancer in 1968, his father two years later of complications from a stroke.
Concerning his educational background, Martin attended Westdale Secondary School and graduated from McMaster University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Social Work in the year 1971.
Martin Short Career Timeline
- Martin Short initially want to be engaged in social work. Later, he gained his interest in the acting field after he was cast in "Godspell" in 1971, a musical composed by Stephen Schwartz with the book by John-Michael Tebelak.
- Next, he appeared in several television shows and plays, including the drama "Fortune and Men's Eyes" (1972).
- After a long gap, he starred in the US sitcom "The Associates" in 1979. Then, after a year, he joined the cast of "I'm a Big Girl Now".
- He also joined the group, "The Second City" (an improvisational comedy enterprise) in 1977 and came to public fame after the group produced a show for television "Second City Television or SCTV".
- At SCTV, he developed several characters before moving on to Saturday Night Live for the 1984–85 season.
- His appearance on "Saturday Night Live" helped to revive the show's fanbase as his SNL characters included numerous holdovers from his SCTV days.
- In addition, he made multiple appearances on the show including on the "Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special" in 2015.
- Similarly, he also starred in several TV specials and series of his own. He starred in the one-hour Showtime special "Martin Short: Concert for the North Americas" in 1985.
- He headlined another one-hour comedy special, this time for HBO, "I, Martin Short, Goes Hollywood" in 1989.
- He has had three television shows called "The Martin Short Show", including a sitcom, "The Martin Short Show", 1994; a sketch comedy show, "The Show Formerly Known as the Martin Short Show", 1995; and a syndicated talk show "The Martin Short Show", which ran from 1999 to 2000.
- Likewise, he starred as Jiminy Glick on Comedy Central's "Primetime Glick" (2001-2003).
- He has guest-starred on several shows including "Arrested Development" (episode titled "Ready, Aim, Marry Me", 2005), "Muppets Tonight" (1996), "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit", and "Weeds".
- He also joined the FX drama "Damages" as lawyer Leonard Winstone in 2010.
- He also voiced 'the Cat in the Hat' in the animated TV series "The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!" (2010-2013). Later, he voiced the character in the related TV special from 2014 to 2016.
- The special, "I, Martin Short, Goes Home" follows his return to his native Hamilton, Ontario which aired on 3rd April 2012.
- He joined the cast of "How I Met Your Mother" for its seventh season in 2011.
- In addition, he was the judge on the first and only season of "Canada's Got Talent" in the year 2012.
- He starred in the Fox sitcom "Mulaney" from 2014 to 2015 as Lou Cannon.
- He debuted a new variety show on NBC, "Maya & Marty", which also starred Maya Rudolph on 31st May 2016.
- He will next star and executive produce "Only Murders in the Building", a Hulu comedy series alongside Steve Martin and Selena Gomez.
Everything To Know About Selena Gomez
- His filming work includes "Three Amigos", "Innerspace", "The Big Picture", "Captain Ron", "Clifford", "Pure Luck" (1991), "Mars Attacks!" (1996), "Jungle 2 Jungle (1997).
- Then, he wrote and starred in "Jiminy Glick in Lalawood" in 2004.
- He starred in another movie "The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause" in the year 2006.
- He provided the voices of several animated film characters, such as Stubbs in "We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story", Hubie in "The Pebble and the Penguin", Huy in "The Prince of Egypt", Ooblar in "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius", B.E.N. in "Treasure Planet", Preminger in "Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper", Thimbletack the Brownie in "The Spiderwick Chronicles", Stefano the sea lion in "Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted", Kurokawa in the English dub of Hayao Miyazaki's "The Wind Rises", and The Jester in "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return".
- He starred in the Netflix original "The Willoughbys" (2020) as the impolite father.
Martin Short Stage Work
- Martin Short played a lead role in the 1993 musical version of the Neil Simon film "The Goodbye Girl".
- Then, he had the lead role in the 1999 Broadway revival of the musical "Little Me".
- He performed in his satirical one-man show, with a cast of six, "Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me" at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre on Broadway. Some titles that Short has used for his one-man show include Stroke Me Lady Fame, If I'd Saved, I Wouldn't Be Here, and Sunday in the Park with George Michael.
Awards and Achievements
Martin Short is an award-winning actor and comedian. He has received various nominations during his career timeline. He received two Tony Award nominations, winning for Little Me in 1999. He also has received twelve Primetime Emmy Award nominations, winning twice for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series for SCTV (1983), and AFI Life Achievement Award: Mel Brooks (2014). In the year 2014, he received the Robert Altman Award from Independent Spirit Awards alongside the cast of Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice. In addition to this, he received various honors from his birthplace of Canada, including in 1994, being appointed a Member of the Order of Canada. Also, he received the Earl Grey Lifetime Achievement Award in 1995. He earned the Sir Peter Ustinov Award at the Banff Television Festival in 1999. In 2000, he was honored with a star on Canada's Walk of Fame. He received the Canadian Screen Awards Lifetime Achievement Award in the year 2016. He became an Officer of the Order of Canada in 2019. Moreover, he has also received Medals from Queen Elizabeth II, including in 2002 the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal and in 2012 the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
Who is Martin Short Wife?
Martin Short is a married man to his late wife, Nancy Dolman (September 26, 1951-August 21, 2010) in the year 1980. By profession, Nancy Dolman is a comedic actress and singer. Nancy and Martin met each other during the run of the 1972 Toronto production of Godspell. The duo adopted three children: Katherine Elizabeth (born 1983), a social worker and graduate of New York University; Oliver Patrick (born 1986), an employee of Warner Brothers and graduate of the University of Notre Dame's Mendoza College of Business; and Henry Hayter (born 1989), who also graduated from the University of Notre Dame in May 2012. In 2010, Nancy died from Ovarian Cancer. As of today, he is leading a single life happily in the memory of Nancy. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay. At present, he is residing in Los Angeles, California, the USA. He also has a home on Lake Rosseau in Ontario, Canada.
Previously, Martin Short dated Gilda Radner, an American comedienne, and actress in 1972. They dated for almost 2 years before breaking up in 1974.
Martin has actively campaigned for the Women's Research Cancer Fund, and he accepted a "Courage Award" on behalf of his late wife at a 2011 gala by the group. He is also a member of the Canadian charity Artists Against Racism.
How much is Martin Short Net Worth?
Martin Short is a multi-talented actor, comedian, singer, and writer. Appearing in numerous movies and TV shows, he has made a huge fortune from his career. As of 2021, the net worth of Martin Short is estimated to have $30 Million. His main source of wealth comes from the entertainment industry and he is living a lavish life as of today. Whereas his exact annual salary and income details are unknown at a moment but there is no doubt in the mind of his followers that he is making his earnings in millions. His weekly salary from SNL was $20K as per the report. In addition, he has also donated a prize of $32K to Loyola High School which he earns from "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". He has also endorsed the brands such as Black’s Photography stores, Biography Channel (2001), VISA credit card, Old Navy (2012).
How tall is Martin Short?
Martin Short has a perfect height of 5 ft 8 in or 173 cm with a well-maintained body weight of 68 Kg or 150 lbs. At the age of 71, Martin Short still looks handsome with a charming personality and attractive looks. His body type is slim. His hair color is light brown and he has a pair of blue eyes.
Trivias About Martin Short You Need To Know.
- Martin Short was raised as a Roman Catholic, the youngest of 5 children in Canada.
- In mid-1980, he joined Saturday Night Live, receiving recognition in the United States of America. His many characters revived the show in those years.
- He is involved in several charity works, campaigning actively for the Women’s Research Cancer Fund, and is a member of the Canadian charity Artists Against Racism.
- His autobiography, I Must Say: My Life As A Humble Comedy Legend, was published in 2014.
- His Zodiac sign falls under Aries.