Mary Steenburgen - Bio, Net Worth, Married, Husband, Family, Parents, Age, Nationality, Height, Career, Awards, Illness, Music, Facts, Wiki, Children
Mary Steenburgen is an Academy-award winning American actress, singer, and songwriter who is well known for her role of Lynda Dummar in Jonathan Demme's 1980 hit film, "Melvin and Howard". Having her career started in 1978 when she was cast as the female lead in the Western film, "Goin' South", Mary has starred in several movies and series in her decade long career.
She has worked in several movies including "Time After Time", "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", and "Back to the Future Part III". Besides, she is active in social media sites with over 42k followers o Twitter: @MarySteenburgen.
What is Mary Steenburgen Famous for?
- Famous as an Academy winning actress.
- Known for her role as Lynda Dummar in the film, "Melvin and Howard".
Where was Mary Steenburgen Born?
Mary Steenburgen was born on February 8, 1953, in Newport, Arkansas, United States. Her birth name is Mary Nell Steenburgen. Her nationality is American. Berkley belongs to mixed(Dutch, English, Scottish, and Welsh) ethnicity while Aquarius is her zodiac sign.
Mary Steenburgen was born as one of the daughters to her parents: Nellie Mae Wall(mother) and Maurice Hoffman Steenburgen(father). Her father, Maurice was a freight-train conductor who worked at the Missouri Pacific Railroad while her mother Nellie was a school-board secretary. Mary grew up in her hometown along with her sister; Nancy Kelly who is a teacher now.
Mary attended Hendrix College to study drama after her high school graduation during which she was suggested by her teacher to audition at New York City's "Neighborhood Playhouse". After a successful audition, Mary moved to Manhattan in 1972 to study acting.
She even worked as a server at The Magic Pan and for Doubleday while studying under William Esper.
Mary Steenburgen's Career Highlights
- Mary Steenburgen made her debut when she was cast as the female lead in Jack Nicholson's second directorial work, "Goin' South" in 1978.
- She then went on to work in the film, "Time After Time" alongside Malcolm McDowell in 1979.
- Mary got her biggest break when she starred as Lynda Dummar in the comedy-drama film, "Melvin and Howard" in 1980. For her role, she even won her first-ever Academy Award.
- She then starred as The Yearling in the well-received 1983 film, "Cross Creek".
- With her increasing popularity, she got more roles in movies including "Parenthood"(1989), "Back to the Future Part III"(1990), and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape"(1993).
- She then played the role of Hannah Nixon in the Oliver Stone biopic, "Nixon" in 1995.
- In the 2000s, she has appeared in few movies: "Elf"(2003), "Step Brothers"(2008), "Four Christmases"(2008), "The Proposal"(2009), "The Help"(2011), "Last Vegas"(2013), "A Walk in the Woods"(2015) and "Book Club"(2018).
- Steenburgen made her television debut with the role of Kate Montgomery in "Ink" in 1996.
- She made her first TV show appearance on "The Alan Hamel Show" in 1980.
- She has a recurring role as herself in "Curb Your Enthusiasm".
- In 2011, she had a recurring role as Josephine in the HBO sitcom, "Bored to Death".
- She starred as Gail Klosterman on the comedy series, "The Last Man on Earth" from 2015 till 2018.
- Other television roles include; "Gulliver's Travels", "Joan of Arcadia", "Outlaw Country", "Justified".
- She was cast in a musical dramedy television series titled "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" in 2020.
- Besides, Steenburgen also sings and even has composed "Glasglow" in 2018 for which she even won awards for best original song.
- Mary recently starred in the Christmas movie Hulu's "Happiest Season".
- Academy Award
- Saturn Award
- Golden Globe Awards
- Satellite Awards
- Screen Actors Guild
Mary Steenburgen's Husband
Mary Steenburgen is married to her current husband, Ted Danson. Danson is also an American actor and also a producer who is well-known for playing the role of lead character Sam Malone on the NBC sitcom, "Cheers". Mary met Ted while they were on the set of the film, "Pontiac Moon" shortly after which the couple began dating each other.
On October 7, 1995, the couple got married in a grand wedding, Mary eventually becoming the stepmother to Danson's two daughters from his previous marriage. The couple currently resides in the Los Angeles area along with their children.
Mary actually got married twice as her first marriage was with Malcolm McDowell, an English actor and voice actor, with whom she met on the set of "Time After Time" in 1978. They dated for a few years and got married in 1980 and had two children together: Lilly Amanda McDowell and Charles Malcolm McDowell. However, after almost 9 years of their marriage, the couple got divorced in 1989.
Besides, she is a close friend of former senator and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Mary Steenburgen's Net Worth
Mary Steenburgen has quite good earnings from her professional career as an actress. Having her career started with the first film, "Goin' South", Mary has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the popular actresses in her 50 years long career. Her source of income is surely her role in movies and series. Including her income, Mary has a wealthy net worth estimated to be around $80 million.
Mary Steenburgen's Height
Mary Steenburgen is a gorgeous lady with a well maintained hour-glass body physique in her 60s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 8inches.(1.73m) while her body weighs around 58kg. Her body measurement is around 36-23-35 inches with a bra size of 36B, 4(US) as her dress size, and 5(US) as her shoe size.
She has a fair complexion with brown hair and sparkling green eyes.