Last updated on November 15th, 2019 at 02:14 pm
Facts About Maya Rockeymoore Cummings
|Celebrated Name||Maya Rockeymoore Cummings|
|Age||52 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Maya Rockeymoore Cummings|
|Birth Nation||United States|
|Place Of Birth||Texas|
|Best Known For||Widow of late Elijah Cummings.|
|Father||Thomas Charles Rockeymoore|
|Mother||Hazel Brown Rockeymoore|
|High School||John Jay High School|
|University||Prairie View A&M University|
|Educational Qualification||Master's Degree and a Doctor of Philosophy in Political Science|
Maya Rockeymoore Cummings is an American consultant, politician, and former Chairwoman of the Maryland Democratic Party. Cummings previously ran for the Governor of Maryland and even owns a consulting firm at Washington D.C. Maya is popularly known to be the widow of a late popular politician, Elijah Cummings. She resigned her post as chair of the Maryland Democratic Party to run for her late husband's congressional seat in the 2020 Maryland's 7th congressional district special election.
What is Maya Rockeymoore Cummings Famous for?
- Famous as the widow of late Elijah Cummings.
- Known as the former Chairwoman of the Maryland Democratic Party.
Where is Maya Rockeymoore Cummings From?
Maya Rockeymoore Cummings was born on January 31, 1971, in Texas, United States. His birth name is Maya Rockeymoore Cummings. His nationality is American. Cummings belong to African-American ethnicity while Aquarius is her zodiac sign.
Cummings was born in a large family to Thomas Charles Rockeymoore(father) and Hazel Brown Rockeymoore(mother). Her father, Thomas worked in Air Force previously. Maya was raised in her hometown Texas with her parents and two siblings, Mark and Meredith. She also has seven nieces and nephews.
She graduated from John Jay High School in San Antonio, Texas after which she graduated with a bachelor's degree from Prairie View A&M University.
Later, she studied political science at Purdue University and in 1996, she graduated earning a master's degree and a Doctor of Philosophy in political science with a major in Public Policy in 2000.
Maya Rockeymoore Cummings Career Highlights
- Maya Rockeymoore Cummings started her professional career after she became an Administrative Assistant to the Director at the Marion County Department of Health in Indiana in 1995.
- She later became a legislative fellow for the Congressional Black Caucus under former Rep. Melvin Watt. in September 1997.
- In 1998, she worked as a professional staffer at the Ways and Means Social Security Subcommittee.
- In January 1999, she began working as the Chief of Staff for former Rep. Charles Rangel.
- In 2001, Cummings left Congress to become Senior Resident Scholar for Health and Income Security for the National Urban League.
- Two years later, in 2003, she joined the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation as Vice President of Research and Programs.
- In 2005, she started a D.C.-based policy consulting firm, "Global Policy Solutions".
- Maya was named an Aspen Institute Henry Crown Fellow in 2004 and received Running Start’s 2007 Young Women to Watch Award.
- She previously served as the Director of Leadership for Healthy Communities, a national program office of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- In 2012, Maya started the 501c3 non-profit tank, the Center for Global Policy Solutions.
- In 2017, she ran for the Governor of Maryland in the 2018 election. However, after husband, Elijah Cummings was hospitalized she dropped out of the race.
- In December 2018, Rockeymoore Cummings was elected as chairwoman of the Maryland Democratic Party.
- On November 11, 2019, Cummings announced that she will run for her late husband's congressional seat in the "2020 Maryland's 7th Congressional District Special Election".
- Further, Cummings is the co-author of the Action Strategies for Healthy Communities Toolkit.
Who is Maya Rockeymoore Cummings Married to?
Maya Rockeymoore Cummings is currently a widow of her late husband, Elijah Cummings. Maya Cummings was previously married to her late husband, Elijah Cummings. Elijah was a politician and civil rights advocate who was a member of the United States House of Representatives who represented Maryland's 7th congressional district, in 2008. The couple met for the first time on Capitol Hill in 1990 and later in 2008, they got married.
The couple remained married until Elijah's death on October 17, 2019. He died at the age of 68 from complications concerning longstanding health challenges. The couple never had any children together however, Maya is a step-mother of Elijah's three children from his previous wife.
She is a step-mother of two daughters: Jennifer J. Cummings and Adia Cummings and a son.
What is the Net Worth of Maya Rockeymoore Cummings?
Maya Rockeymoore Cummings has quiet a good earning through her professional career as a politician. Her estimated net worth isn't disclosed yet. While her late husband, Elijah Cummings's net worth is $1.3 million while his annual salary was $174k.
How Tall is Maya Rockeymoore Cummings?
Maya Rockeymoore Cummings is a tall, beautiful black woman. Cummings has a maintained average body physique. She has a dark complexion with black hair and brown eyes.