Melissa Etheridge - Bio, Net Worth, Facts, Son Death, Beckett, Married, Wife, Lesbian, Children, Ex, Cancer, Wiki, Age, Height, Tour, Albums, Awards
Grammy Award-winning cancer survivor Melissa Lou Etheridge, popularly known as Melissa Etheridge is an American singer, songwriter, guitarist, and activist. She rose to prominence after she released her self-titled debut album, Melissa Etheridge in 1988. She garnered mainstream breakthrough in 1993 following the release of her album, Yes I Am. She has released 14 studio albums and 2 compilation albums. She has won two Grammys and one Academy Award for her contribution to the music industry. She battled with breast cancer in 2004.
She has over 92.3k followers on her Instagram @melissa_Etheridge.
Grammy Award-Winner Melissa Etheridge Lost His 21-Years Old Son, Beckett To Opioid Addiction
Etheridge announced on 13 May 2020 that her son Beckett died due to the causes related to opioid addiction. Her son died at the age of only 21. She wrote on Instagram "Today I joined the hundreds of thousands of families who have lost loved ones to opioid addiction. My son Beckett, who was just 21, struggled to overcome his addiction and finally succumbed to it today. He will be missed by those who loved him, his family, and friends. My heart is broken. I am grateful for those who have reached out with condolences and I fell their love and sincere grief.
We struggle with what else we could have done to save, and in the end we know he is out of the pain now.
I will sing again, soon. It has always healed me."
What is Melissa Etheridge Famous For?
- Two times Grammy Award-winner.
Where is Melissa Etheridge From?
Melissa Etheridge was born on 29 May 1961. Her birth name is Melissa Lou Etheridge. Her birth place is in Leavenworth, Kansas in the United States. She holds an American nationality. She was born to a father, John Etheridge, and a mother, Elizabeth Williamson. She has a sister. She belongs to White ethnicity. Her horoscope is Gemini. Her father died in 1991. She started playing guitar when she was young.
Regarding her educational background, she is a Leavenworth High School graduate. Following high school, she attended Berklee College of Music. She had already begun to play with several local groups in clubs. However, she did not complete her college. She dropped out of Berklee to move to Los Angeles to pursue a career in music.
Melissa Etheridge Career Timeline
- Etheridge had been playing music in local clubs in California. One of her friend Karla Leopold convinced her husband, Bill Leopold to see Etheridge's performance live. Bill later became an important part of Etheridge's early career.
- Island Records chief Chris Blackwell discovered Etheridge while she was playing gigs in lesbian bars around Los Angeles. She had received a publishing deal to write songs for movies. Island Records rejected her debut project.
- She released her self-titled debut album, Melissa Etheridge in 1988. The album became an underground success and peaked at No. 22 on Billboard 200.
- The lead single from her debut album, "Bring Me Some Water" earned her first Grammy nomination.
- Etheridge garnered mainstream recognition following the release of her album, Yes I Am in 1993. The album peaked at No. 15 on the Billboard 200.
- Etheridge won her second Grammy for her single, Come to My Window" from her album, Yes I Am.
Melissa Etheridge has released 14 studio albums and 2 compilation albums. They are
Melissa Etheridge (1988)
Brave and Crazy (1989)
Never Enough (1992)
Yes I Am (1993)
Your Little Secret (1995)
Greatest Hits: The Road Less Traveled (2005) (Compilation Album)
The Awakening (2007)
A New Thought For Christmas (2008)
Fearless Love (2010)
Icon (2011) (Compilation Album)
4th Street Feeling (2012)
This Is M.E. (2014)
MEmphis Rock and Soul (2016)
The Medicine Show (2019)
What is Melissa Etheridge Honors?
- Etheridge has earned 15 Grammy nominations, winning twice.
- She won her first Grammy in 1993 for her single, "Ain't It Heavy" from her third album, Never Enough.
- She won her second Grammy Award in 1995 for her single, "Come to My Window" from her album, Yes I Am.
- She won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for "I Need to Wake Up" from the documentary film, An Inconvenient Truth.
- She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on 27 September 2011.
- Juno Award for International Entertainer of the Year at the 20th Annual Juno Awards.
- ASCAP's Pop Songwriter of the Year in 1996.
- Gibson Guitar Award for Best Rock Guitarist: Female in 2001.
- GLAAD's Stephen F. Kolzak Award at the 17th GLAAD Media Awards in 2006.
Who is Melissa Etheridge Married to?
Melissa Etheridge's sexual orientation is lesbian. She came out as a lesbian in January 1993 at a gay celebration of President Bill Clinton's first inauguration, the Triangle Ball. She has been a gay rights activist.
She had a long-term relationship with filmmaker Julie Cypher. While together, Cypher gave birth to two children, Bailey Jean and Beckett. She became pregnant via artificial insemination using sperm donated by musician David Crosby. The couple separated in 2000.
Etheridge then dated actress Tammy Lynn Michaels. They started dating in 2002. They had a commitment ceremony on 20 September 2003. Michaels gave birth to twins on 17 October 2006. She had conceived via an anonymous sperm donor. The couple separated in 2010.
She then dated Linda Wallem. The couple got married on 31 May 2014.
Etheridge was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004. She underwent surgery and chemotherapy. She lost her hair during chemotherapy. She appeared bald (due to chemotherapy) at the 2005 Grammy Awards. She was featured in UniGlobe Entertainment's 2010 breast cancer docudrama, 1 a Minute.
How Tall is Melissa Etheridge?
Etheridge stands at a height of 1.57 m i.e. 5 feet and 2 inches tall. She has a body weight of 130 lbs i.e. 59 kg. She has an average body build. Her body measurements are 34-25-33 inches. Her bra size is 32C. She wears shoes of size 6.5 (US) and a dress of size 6 (US).
She has dark brown eyes and her hair color is blonde.
How much is Melissa Etheridge Worth?
Melissa Etheridge earns from a music career. She has been active in the music industry since the early 1980s. She has already released 14 studio albums. Her major income comes from record sales, concerts, tours, and endorsements. Her net worth is estimated at $25 million.
Trivias About Melissa Etheridge You Need To Know.
- "Bring Me Some Water", the lead single from her self-titled debut album earned her first Grammy nomination.
- She released an autobiography, The Truth Is: My Life in Love and Music in 2002.
- She produced and sang the vocal track on the Brother Bear 2 soundtrack in 2006.
- She established a performing arts scholarship at Leavenworth High School in 1992 in honor of her late father.
- A 2016 article in The New York Times stated that Etheridge wore hearing aids.
- She also advocates for environmental issues.