Michael Bloomberg - Bio, Net Worth, Billionaire, CEO of Bloomberg L.P, Party, President, Age, Facts, Wiki, Family, Married, Wife, Books, Wealth, News
Michael Bloomberg is an American businessman, politician, author, and philanthropist who is ranked to be the 9th richest person in the United States and the 14th richest person in the world as in 2019. Bloomberg is co-founder, CEO, and owner of billion worth company, "Bloomberg L.P.". Bloomberg also served as the 108th Mayor of New York City for three consecutive years in 2001. On November 7th, 2019, Bloomberg announced to run in the 2020 presidential race but not in 2019.
What is Michael Bloomberg Famous for?
- Famous as the Billionaire Business magnate and founder of "Bloomberg L.P.".
Where is Michael Bloomberg From?
Michael Bloomberg was born on February 14, 1942, in Brighton, Massachusetts, United States. His birth name is Michael Rubens Bloomberg. Bloomberg belongs to White ethnicity while Aquarius is his zodiac sign.
Michael was born to a Jewish family to William Henry Bloomberg(father) and Charlotte Bloomberg(mother). His father was the son of Alexander Bloomberg who was an immigrant from Russia while his mother was the daughter of Max Rubens who was an immigrant of Belarus. William worked as an accountant for a dairy company while Charlotte was a housewife. Bloomberg family lived in Allston but when Michael was 2, they moved to Brookline after which they settled in Moston, Medford, Massachusetts.
Michael was raised along with his younger sister, Marjorie Tiven. Tiven is currently the Commissioner of the New York City Commission for the United Nations, Consular Corps, and Protocol, holding the post since February 2002.
Bloomberg attended Hebrew school and then Johns Hopkins University, where he joined the fraternity Phi Kappa Psi. As a sophomore, he constructed the school mascot's (the blue jay's) costume. In 1964, he graduated from the university with a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering. Two years later, in 1966, he graduated from Harvard Business School with a Master of Business Administration.
Besides, he is an Eagle Scout and is a prominent member of the Emanu-El Temple in Manhattan.
Michael Bloomberg Career Highlights: CEO of Bloomberg L.P.
- Michael Bloomberg started his career first in business as he became a general partner at Salomon Brothers Investment Bank in 1973.
- He then set up a company named Innovative Market Systems. In 1982, the company got a customer named Merrill Lynch who invested $30 million in the company.
- By 1987, the company was renamed "Bloomberg L.P." and over years, Bloomberg News, Bloomberg Message, and Bloomberg Tradebook were launched.
- He eventually left the company to pursue his career in politics.
- On January 1, 2002, he was named as the 108th Mayor of New York City. He ran for the post for three consecutive years first in 2002, then in 2005 and 2009.
- He supported the construction of the 7 Subway Extension and the Second Avenue Subway during his tenure. He also supported abortion rights, same-sex marriage, and citizenship for illegal immigrants.
- In February 2003, Michael Bloomberg received the Award for Distinguished Leadership in Global Capital Markets from the Yale School of Management
- In April 2006, Bloomberg collaborated with Thomas Menino, Mayor of Boston, to form Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a coalition that advocates for gun control.
- Bloomberg did not endorse a candidate for the 2008 U.S. Presidential Election.
- In January 2014, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced that Bloomberg was appointed as his Special Envoy for Cities and Climate Change.
- At the end of 2014, Bloomberg resumed the position of CEO in the company, "Bloomberg L.P.".
- On October 6, 2014, Queen Elizabeth II awarded Bloomberg as the Honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire.
- Bloomberg ran in the presidential race of the 2016 Presidential Campaign.
- In June 2018, Bloomberg made plans to give $80 million to support Democratic congressional candidates in the 2018 election.
- In May 2019, Bloomberg was awarded an honorary doctorate of laws degree from Washington University in St. Louis.
- On November 7, 2019, it was announced that Bloomberg will be running in the 2020 United States presidential election.
Who is Michael Bloomberg Married to? How Many Children Does he have?
Michael Bloomberg was previously married to Susan Elizabeth Barbara Brown, a British national from Yorkshire, United Kingdom. Brown and Bloomberg got married in 1975. They together have two daughters: Emma (born. 1979) and Georgina (born 1983). Emma and Georgina were featured in a documentary film, "Born Rich".
Living for almost 18 years together, the couple soon divorced in 1993. Michael Bloomberg and his daughters own houses in Bermuda and they stay there frequently. Currently, he is a relationship with Diana Taylor. Taylor is a former New York state banking superintendent.
What is the net worth of Michael Bloomberg? How did he become a Billionaire?
The 77 years old, Michael Bloomberg is a billionaire man who has a great earning through his professional career as a businessman and politician. Bloomberg has managed to amass a great fortune of the amount in billion dollars through his company, "Bloomberg L.P.". The profit of the company is worth billion dollars each year thus raising his income more and more.
Bloomberg has an estimated net worth of $57.1 billion. Being a philanthropist, Bloomberg takes only $1 as his salary. Currently, he is ranked as the 9th-richest person in the US and 14th richest person in the world.
Previously, he owned $10 million worth of equity as a partner at Salomon Brothers. Bloomberg's wealth increased in a rapid manner letting him be one of the richest people in the world over the years. Bloomberg had a net worth of $16 billion in 2009, $22 billion in 2012, $31 billion in 2013 and $43.3 billion in 2015 which ranked him to be the 6th richest person in the US. As in 2019, his net worth has increased by $13.8 billion which is estimated to be $57.1 billion.
By the year 2014, Bloomberg already had owned 14 properties in various countries around the world which include a mansion built in the Georgian style and historical property in London. With all the fortune in multi-billion dollars, he has managed to live a lavish and luxurious lifestyle.
How Tall is Michael Bloomberg?
Michael Bloomberg has a well-maintained fit body physique. Being 77 years old, Bloomberg hasn't let his age to overcome his power and mental stability. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 8inch.(1.73m) while his body weighs around 64kg(142 lbs). He has a fair complexion with white hair and brown eyes.
Trivias About Michael Bloomberg You Need To Know.
- He has joined The Giving Pledge, whereby billionaires pledge to give away at least half of their wealth.
- He is the co-founder, CEO, and owner of Bloomberg L.P.
- He served as the 108th mayor of New York City.
- He announced on 24th November 2019, that he was seeking that Democratic Party's nomination in the 2020 presidential election.
- As of November 2019, his net worth was estimated at $58 billion which makes him the 9th richest person in the United States and the 14th richest person in the world.