Navjot Singh Sidhu - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Family, Age, Facts, Career
Navjot Singh Sidhu is an Indian politician affiliated with Indian National Congress, a television personality, and a former international cricketer. He is the former President of the Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee. Formerly, he was the Minister of Tourism and Cultural Affairs in the state government of the State of Punjab. Starting his career as a professional cricketer, Sidhu played for the Indian national cricket team mostly for the test matches making his first-class debut in 1981–82. After losing his place in the national team following his international debut in 1983–84, he came into the major limelight after scoring four half-centuries in the 1987 World Cup. After retirement, he started his career as a cricket commentator and as a television personality. Currently, he is serving his sentence at Patiala Prison in Punjab due to his involvement in a road rage incident of assault and causing the death of a man when he was 25 years old in 1988. In May 2022, the Supreme Court of India convicted him for voluntarily causing hurt (Section 323 of the Indian Penal Code) and sentenced him for 1-year rigorous imprisonment.
Waht is Navjot Singh Sidhy Famous For
- Being an Indian National Congress politician and a former international cricketer.
- For his appearance in the Comedy Nights with Kapil (2013–2015) and later on "The Kapil Sharma Show" (2016–2019).
What is Navjot Singh Sidhu Nationality?
Navjot Singh Sidhu was born on 20th October 1963 in Patiala, a city in southeastern Punjab, northwestern India. His birth name is Navjot Singh Sidhu. He holds an Indian nationality and belongs to the Sikh Jat Aryan ethnic group. His star sign is Libra. He is a follower of Hinduism.
Sidhu was born to his father Sardar Bhagwant Singh who was a decent cricket player and the Attorney General of Punjab while his mother was Nirmal Sidhu. He has two sisters, Neelam Mahajan Who has already deceased. His other sister Suman Toor is based in the US.
As for education, Sidhu attended the Yadavindra Public School in his hometown Patiala. After high school, he flew to Mumbai and enrolled at HR College of Commerce and Economics.
What does Navjot Singh Sidhu do for a living?
- Siddu began his career as a cricketer and made his first-class debut in November 1981 playing for Punjab against Services in Amritsar.
- He was called up to the Indian Test team in November 1983 but failed to give his best performance and was dropped from the team.
- Sidhu was recalled to the national team only four years later, for the 1987 Cricket World Cup.
- He made his one-day international (ODI) debut against Australia in 1987.
- Sidhu made his return to the Test side after five years in November 1988.
- His first ODI century came against Pakistan in Sharjah in 1989.
- His career-best score came in 1993 against England at Gwalior which was his highest ODI score.
- His only Test double century came during India's 1997 tour of the West Indies.
- Sidhu walked out of India's 1996 tour of England citing differences with captain Mohammad Azharuddin.
- He announced his retirement from all forms of cricket in December 1999.
- After two years of his retirement from cricket, Sidhu started his career as a cricket commentator in 2001.
- In 2005, he appeared as a judge on the television program "The Great Indian Laughter Challenge".
- In 2012, he was seen as a contestant on the sixth season of the Indian reality show "Bigg Boss".
- In 2013, Sidhu was seen in the comedy show "Comedy Nights with Kapil" as a permanent guest until the show ended in 2016.
- He has also starred in the 2015 Indian dance film "ABCD 2".
- From 2016 to 2019, He was seen as a permanent guest on "The Kapil Sharma Show" and "Family Time With Kapil Sharma".
- From 2004 to 2016 he was associated with the Bharatiya Janata Party and with the BJP he won the general election from Amritsar that year.
- He held the seat till 2014 after the 2009 election too.
- In January 2017, Sidhu joined the Indian National Congress.
- On 20th February 2022, he lost in the 2022 Punjab Legislative Assembly election from Amritsar East Assembly Constituency.
Who is Navjot Singh Sidhu wife?
Navjot Singh Sidhu has been married to his wife Navjot Kaur Sidhu who is a doctor by profession and used to serve in Govt Rajindra Hospital, Patiala before resigning in January 2012. Currently, she is involved in politics and is a former member of the Punjab Legislative Assembly. Sidhu tied the knot with Dr. Navjot Kaur, somewhere in the mid-1980s, and shares a son named Karan and daughter Rabia.
What is the net worth of Navjot Singh Sidhu?
Navjot Singh Sidhu has an estimated net worth of Indian 50 crore rupees ( around the US $7 milion). He made his huge fortune through his successful career as a Cricketer, Television personality, and Politician. For his appearance in "The Kapil Sharma Show", he used to charge Rs 8 to 10 lakhs (i.e.$8,000 to $10,000) per episode. During his 18 years long career as a cricketer, he earned crores of rupees, and now serving as a politician he is making a decent income.
How tall is Navjot Singh Sidhu?
Navjot Singh Sidhu is 6 ft 3 inches tall and his body weight is 84 Kg. He used to have an Athletic build body during his youthhood but the 58-year-old now has a fat-bulky body. His body measures 42-35-15 (chest-waist-biceps) inches.
Being a Sikh, Sidhu's most distinctive feature is wearing the Turban which like most the Sikhs, he uses to cover the uncut hair gathered on top of his head out of respect for their faith. He also has a bushy long beard that is black in color. He has a pair of black-color eyes as well.
Trivias About Navjot Singh Sidhu You Need To Know.
- Former Pakistani cricketer and prime minister Imran Khan is one of his good friends.
- He was nicknamed "Sixer Sidhu" for his prolific batting performances.
- He is a vegetarian.
- He is also the present president of the World Jat Aryan Foundation.