Ncuti Gatwa - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Ethnicity, Parents, Awards, Height
Ncuti Gatwa is a Rwandan-born Scottish actor who is best known for having been cast as Eric Effiong in the Netflix original comedy teen drama series, "Sex Education". His role in the series won him several awards including the 2020 Newport Beach Film Festival award for "Breakthrough Honouree", 2020 Broadcasting Press Guild Award for "Best Breakthrough", and the 2020 Royal Television Society Award for "Comedy Performance (Male)". He made his first TV show appearance as a Male Customer in an episode titled The Van on the comedy show, "Bob Servant", in December 2014. In 2019, Ncuti Gatwa made his theatrical film debut as Timidius in the historical comedy film, "Horrible Histories: The Movie – Rotten Romans". In 2022, he was announced as the fourteenth incarnation of the Doctor on the BBC series "Doctor Who", making him the first black actor to headline the series.
What is Ncuti Gatwa Famous For?
- Being a Rwandan-Scottish actor.
- For his appearance in the Netflix series "Sex Education".
Where is Ncuti Gatwa From?
Born on October 15, 1992, Ncuti Gatwa is from Nyarugenge, Kigali, Rwanda. His nationality is British-Rwandan and his ethnicity is Mixed. Whereas his race is black. Libra is his Zodiac sign and he is a follower of the Christianity religion. His present age is 29 as of 2021. His born name is Mizero Ncuti Gatwa.
Ncuti was born to his father, Tharcisse Gatwa, and his mother. His father was from Rwanda's Karongi District, is a journalist with a Ph.D. in theology. His family escaped from Rwanda during the Rwandan genocide in 1994 and settled in Scotland. They later lived in Edinburgh and Dunfermline where Ncuti spent his early life. There are no details about his siblings. Thus, it is assumed that he is a single child born to his parents.
Regarding his education, he attended Boroughmuir High School and Dunfermline High School initially. After that, he went to the Royal Conservative of Scotland in Glasgow and studied drama. From there, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Acting in the year 2013.
Ncuti Gatwa Career Timeline
- Ncuti Gatwa, in the Dundee Repertory Theatre, performed in several productions including David Greig's "Victoria".
- In 2014, he had a small role in the sitcom "Bob Servant".
- After a year, he was seen in the mini-series "Stonemouth" and "The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips".
- In 2016, he appeared in the 2016 production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream".
- He was then cast in the Netflix comedy-drama series "Sex Education" as Eric Effiong in May 2018. The show was released in 2019. He received praise for his portrayal of Eric from audiences and critics alike, particularly for how his character was not relegated to the cliché of "gay or black best friend slash sidekick stock character".
- In 2019, he appeared in his debut film "Horrible Histories: The Movie – Rotten Romans" as Timidius.
- He appeared in the 2021 film "The Last Letter from Your Lover" as Nick.
- On 8th May 2022, it was announced that Gatwa had been cast in "Doctor Who" as the fourteenth incarnation of the show's protagonist, the Doctor. Gatwa, who was cast in February, will be the first black actor to play a primary incarnation of the character and the second to play an incarnation overall, following Jo Martin's appearance as the Fugitive Doctor.
- Moreover, he is expected to first appear in a special episode to celebrate the BBC's centenary in 2022.
- He will next be appearing in the 2023 film "Barbie".
Doctor Who: Ncuti Gatwa announced as the new Doctor
Actor Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who. The 29-year-old will become the 14th Time Lord on the popular science fiction show, and the first person of color to play the lead role. He told "It feels really amazing. It's a true honour. This role is an institution and it's so iconic." Speaking on the red carpet before Sunday's Bafta TV Awards, where he was nominated for Sex Education, Gatwa said the role of the Doctor "means a lot to so many people, including myself". He added: "I feel very grateful to have had the baton handed over and I'm going to try to do my best." He will make his debut as the Time Lord in 2023.
Awards and Achievements
- Won a BAFTA Scotland Award for Best Actor in Television in 2020 for his work in "Sex Education"
- Won three BAFTA Television Award nominations for Best Male Comedy Performance, one in 2020, 2021, and 2022 consecutively
- Won National Comedy Awards for his work in "Sex Education" in 2022
- Won Rose d'Or, Young Scot Awards, Royal Television Society Awards, Broadcasting Press Guild Awards, Newport Beach Film Festival in 2020 for his work in "Sex Education"
Who is Ncuti Gatwa Girlfriend?
Ncuti Gatwa is not married and also, he is not dating anyone at present. He is currently single and he is also a very secretive man when it comes to his personal life. Further, he has also not been seen being cozy with other celebrities and ladies. He is enjoying his single life happily. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
How much is Ncuti Gatwa Net Worth?
Ncuti Gatwa is an actor by profession whose net worth is estimated to have $150K as of 2022. He is an aspiring actor and has appeared only in a number of movies and TV series. His appearance as Eric Effiong on the Netflix comedy-drama series "Sex Education" made him quite famous in the film industry. From the series, he made around $30K per episode. His exact current salary is still to get unveiled yet. His main source of wealth is form the entertainment industry. He is living a modest lifestyle.
How tall is Ncuti Gatwa?
Ncuti Gatwa is a cool man with a slim body type. He stands at the perfect height of 5 feet 9 inches or 175 cm. His body weight consists of 70 Kg or 154.5 lbs. His hair color and eye color, both is dark brown. He has deep-set eyes and very short hair. His charming smile and glowing face attract a lot of people towards him. He has got a healthy body and he maintains his body a lot by doing frequent exercise. He is conscious of his food intake. His other body measurement is still to get disclosed yet.
Trivias About Ncuti Gatwa You Need To Know.
- Ncuti Gatwa got featured in the January 2019 issue of Teen Vogue.
- He made his theatrical film debut as Timidius in the historical comedy film, "Horrible Histories: The Movie – Rotten Romans" in 2019.
- He is an Rwandan-born Scottish actor
- He came to fame after his appearance as Eric Effiong in "Sex Education".
- One of his earliest acting gigs was in the 2014 TV mini-series Bob Servant.