Nicola Sturgeon - Bio, Net Worth, SNP, Election, Brexit, Education, Married, Husband, Peter, Kids, Height, Parent, Nationality, Age, Facts, Wiki, News
Nicola Ferguson Sturgeon shortly named Nicola Sturgeon is a Scottish politician who is currently serving as the fifth First Minister of Scotland. Moreover, she is also the leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP) since November 2014. She is the first woman to hold either position. She has been a member of the Scottish Parliament since 1999, first as an additional member for the Glasgow electoral region from 1999 to 2007 and as the member for Glasgow Southside since 2007 (known as Glasgow Govan from 2007 to 2011). Overall, she is a very talented politician.
Nicola Sturgeon Finally waves the white flag
The SNP leader made the admission as she addressed the Holyrood parliament. Party made election gains last week and now holds 47 of the 59 Scottish seats. She called for a 'coming together' of political parties to deliver new Indy Ref. Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon finally admitted defeat in her battle to Remain today as she admitted that Brexit 'now seems inevitable'. The SNP leader made the admission as she addressed the Holyrood parliament and tore into the Prime Minister after his election win. While the Tories won the election overall, the SNP made gains of their own and now holds 47 of the 59 seats in Scotland. Ms. Sturgeon added today: 'The hard, possibly no deal, Brexit favored by the Prime Minister poses a real danger to our economy and to social and environmental safeguards, at a time when we must substantially step up our efforts to tackle climate change.
Who are the Parents of Nicola Sturgeon?
On 19th July 1970, Nicola Sturgeon was born as Nicola Ferguson Sturgeon in Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland. As of 2019, she celebrated her 49th birthday. She was born to Robin and Joan Kerr Ferguson, her parents. Her nationality is Scottish and she belongs to the White ethnic group. She is the eldest of three daughters. Her family has some roots in North East England; her paternal grandmother was from Ryhope in what is now the City of Sunderland. She grew up in Prestwick and Dreghorn. She attended Dreghorn Primary School from 1975 to 1982 and Greenwood Academy from 1982 to 1988. She later studied at the University of Glasgow, where she studied Law. Sturgeon graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) in 1992 and a Diploma in Legal Practice the following year. She completed her legal traineeship at McClure Naismith, a Glasgow firm of solicitors, in 1995. After qualifying as a solicitor, she worked for Bell & Craig, a firm of solicitors in Stirling, and later at the Drumchapel Law Centre in Glasgow from 1997 until her election to the Scottish Parliament in 1999. Her religion is Christian.
How was the Political Career of Nicola Sturgeon?
- She made her career in politics due to rising unemployment in Scotland at the time.
- joined the Scottish National Party (SNP) in 1986, having already become a member of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, and quickly became the party's Youth Affairs Vice Convener and Publicity Vice Convener.
- She first stood for election in the 1992 general election as the SNP candidate in the Glasgow Shettleston constituency.
- She was the youngest parliamentary candidate in Scotland, failing to win the seat.
- She also stood unsuccessfully as the SNP candidate for the Irvine Northward on Cunninghame District Council in May 1992, for the Baillieston/Mount Vernon ward on Strathclyde Regional Council in 1994, and for the Bridgeton ward on Glasgow City Council in 1995.
- She and Charles Kennedy went together on a political study visit to Australia in mid-1990s.
- The 1997 general election saw Sturgeon selected to fight the Glasgow Govan seat for the SNP.
- Later, she was appointed as the SNP's spokesperson for energy and education matters.
- She stood for election to the Scottish Parliament in the first Scottish Parliament election in 1999 as the SNP candidate for Glasgow Govan.
- She was Shadow Minister for Children and Education from 1999 to 2000, Shadow Minister for Health and Community Care from 2000 to 2003, and Shadow Minister for Justice from 2003 to 2004.
- She also served as a member of the Education, Culture and Sport Committee and the Health and Community Care Committee.
- She announced that she would also be a candidate in the forthcoming election for the leadership, with Kenny MacAskill as her running mate on 24th June 2004.
- She defeated Gordon Jackson with a 4.7% swing to the SNP in the 2007 election in Glasgow Govan.
- She was appointed as the Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing by First Minister Salmond.
- She was supported in her role as Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing by Shona Robison MSP, the Minister for Public Health and Sport, and by Alex Neil MSP, the Minister for Housing and Communities.
- The SNP won a large overall majority at the 2011 election and later, she was retained as Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing until a reshuffle.
- She officially launched her campaign bid to succeed in Salmond as Leader of the Scottish National Party at the November leadership election on 24th September 2014.
- She formally resigned as First Minister of Scotland and the election for the new First Minister took place the following day on 19th November 2014.
- He received 66 votes, Davidson received 15 and there were 39 abstentions.
- On 20th November 2014, she was appointed to the Privy Council of the United Kingdom and therefore granted the style 'The Right Honourable'.
- She contested her first election as an SNP leader at the 2016 election.
- On 24th June 2016, she said that Scottish Government officials would begin planning for a second independence referendum.
- Sturgeon and the SNP went into the Scottish council elections that were held on 4 May 2017, as the largest political party in the 32 local council areas in Scotland, having 424 Councillors elected to serve on the councils across Scotland.
- She referred herself to an independent ministerial ethics body, which will lead to an investigation into her actions with respect to a sexual harassment case concerning allegations against Salmond in January 2019.
- On 15th January 2019, the Scottish Parliament agreed to hold its own inquiry into the matter.
- She led her party to victory in the 2019 United Kingdom general election in Scotland.
- The SNP won 48 seats and came second place in the 11 others. 45% of the vote yielded 80% of the seats in Scotland.
- She won the Scottish Politician of the Year Award in 2008, 2012 and 2014.
- In 2004, 2008 and 2011 she also won the Donald Dewar Debater of the Year Award at the same event, which is organized by The Herald newspaper.
Is Nicola Sturgeon Married?
Nicola Sturgeon is a married person. He was married to her husband Peter Murrell, who is the Chief Executive Officer of the SNP. The couple has been in a relationship since 2003. They announced their engagement on 29 January 2010 and were married on 16 July 2010 at Oran Mor in Glasgow. In 2016, Sturgeon disclosed that she had miscarried five years previously. As of today, the duo is living a happy life without any disturbance. They are enjoying their life a lot. Her sexual orientation is straight.
What is the Net Worth of Nicola Sturgeon?
The net worth of this famous politician is believed to have $100,000-$1 Million as of 2019. But her exact source of money is under review but there is no doubt in the mind of her followers that she is earning a considerable amount of salary from her present work. Her major source of earning is from her political career. Her experiences and her knowledge is something incredibly valuable. She would be an asset to any organization. She is highly loved and admired by her fans for her work. She is an inspiration to many aspiring politicians. Her personal assets include a luxurious home and a superior car.
How tall is Nicola Sturgeon?
Nicola Sturgeon is a very beautiful woman with a white-red face color. Her hair color is blonde and her eye color is white. Her hair type is short. She has got a very charming smile attracting a lot of people towards her. She has a tall height of five feet two inches. Her balanced body weight is under review. Her body build is average. Her other body measurements are still to get disclosed yet but it will be revealed once we get information about it. Overall, she has got a healthy beautiful body and she maintains her body a lot.
Trivias About Nicola Sturgeon You Need To Know.
- She is currently serving as the fifth First Minister of Scotland.
- She is also the leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP) since November 2014.
- She has been a member of the Scottish Parliament since 1999, first as an additional member for the Glasgow electoral region from 1999 to 2007 and as the member for Glasgow Southside since 2007 (known as Glasgow Govan from 2007 to 2011).
- Nicola Sturgeon was born as Nicola Ferguson Sturgeon (birth name).