Last updated on July 26th, 2022 at 06:58 am
Facts About Parminder Nagra
|47 Years Old
|Place Of Birth
|South Asian (Indian)
|Her role in Bend It Like Beckham and ER
|Two brothers and one sister
|Northfield House Primary School
|College / University
|Soar Valley College
|Dushmani Jattan Di
|Debut Television Show/Series
|FIFA Presidential Award, Asian Excellence Award, Movieline Young Hollywood Award etc
|1.6 m (5 ft 3 in)
|114.5 lbs (52 kg)
|James Stenson (2009-2013)
|Kai David Singh Stenson
|Dated actor Kieran Creggan for five years
|Source of Wealth
|Around $4 million
Parminder Kaur Nagra, popularly known as Parminder Nagra is a British actress. Nagra started her acting career in theatre and later starred in numerous movies and tv shows. She is known for her role as Jess Bhamra in the 2002 film, Bend It Like Beckham and Dr. Neela Rasgotra in the NBC medical drama series, ER. She is also known for her role in the NBC crime drama series, The Blacklist, and the ABC/Marvel Television series, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. For her work in Bend It Like Beckham and ER, she has earned numerous awards and nominations.
What is Parminder Nagra Famous For?
- Her role as Jess Bhama in the 2002 film, Bend It Like Beckham.
- Her role as Dr. Neela Rasgotra in the NBC medical drama series, ER.
Where is Parminder Nagra From?
Parminder Nagra was born on 5 October 1975. Her birth name is Parminder Kaur Nagra. Her birth place is in Leicester in England. She holds an English nationality. She is of Indian Punjabi descent and Sikh heritage. She was born to her father Sukha Nagra, and her mother, Nashuter Nagra. She has three younger siblings, two brothers, and one sister. She belongs to South Asian (Indian) ethnicity and her religion is Sikhism. Her zodiac sign is Libra.
Regarding her educational background, she attended the Northfield House Primary School in Leicester and the comprehensive school, Soar Valley College. She played viola in the youth orchestra and also appeared in her first theatrical productions while at Soar Valley.
Parminder Nagra Career
- After sitting her A-levels, her former drama instructor, Jez Simons approached Nagra to become part of the Leicester-based theater company, Haithizi Productions. Simons was the artistic director of the company.
- Nagra accepted and was cast as a chorus member in the 1994 musical Nimal presented at the Haymarket Theatre. However, she was switched from the chorus to replace the lead actress, who had dropped out.
- She left Leicester for London to pursue a theatrical career.
- Her first London theatrical job came in 1994. She portrayed the Princess in the pantomime Sleeping Beauty at the Theatre Royal Stratford East.
- She also worked with small Indian theatre companies such as Tara Arts and Tamasha.
- She signed with Joan Brown, a veteran London-based agent.
- She was cast in minor role in her television debut in the British medical drama series, Casualty.
- She voiced a Muslim girl in the 2001 docu-drama, Arena: The Veil.
- Nagra made her breakthrough after she co-starred in the 2002 comedy-drama, Bend It Like Beckham. She played a teenage football player, Jesminder "Jess" Bhamra who idolizes football superstar David Beckham.
- For her role in the film, she won several awards including the FIFA Presidential Award.
- She won the Movieline Young Hollywood Award (Breakthrough Performace by a Female) and the Bordeaux International Festival of Women in Cinema Award (Golden Wave Best Actress (Meilleure Comedienne Long Metrage)) for Bend It Like Beckham.
- She was also nominated for British Independent Award, European Film Award, Internet Movie Award, Empire Award, 7th Annual Hollywood Film Festival Award, and Ethnic Multicultural Media Award for the role.
- She played Dr. Neela Rasgotra in the NBC medical drama series, ER from 2003 to 2009.
- She became the longest-serving cast member and lead actor of ER and remained until the series concluded with season 15.
- She won an Asian Excellence Award for Outstanding Female Television Performance for her work in ER in 2007.
- She also won the South Asian Students' Alliance-Recognition of Excellence Award for Outstanding Achievement in Acting (Female) for ER in 2005.
- In 2012, she played Dr. Lucille "Lucy" Banerjee in the series, Alcatraz.
- She played the lead role of Meera Malik in the first season of the crime thriller series, The Blacklist from 2013 to 2014.
- In 2022, she plays Detective Inspector Rachita Ray in the ITV drama series, DI Ray.
- Nagra has appeared in several other series such as Intergalactic, Elementary, Black-ish, God Friended Me, 13 Reasons Why, Fortitude, NICS: Los Angeles, Psych, The Whole Truth, and Always and Everyone among others.
- She starred in the movies, Second Generation, Ella Enchanted, Compulsion, Horrid Henry: The Movie, Twenty8K, Bird Box, and Five Feet Apart among others.
- She has voice roles in animated films, Maya the Indian Princess, Batman: Gotham Knight, Postman Pat: The Movie, and Piney: The Lonesome Pine.
- Her notable theater works include Skeleton (1997), A Tainted Dawn (1997), Fourteen Songs, Two Weddings & A Funeral (1998), Krishna's Lila-A Play of the Asian World (1999), The Square Circle (1999), and River on Fire (2000).
Who is Parminder Nagra married to?
Parminder Nagra was previously married to photographer James Stenson. They started dating in 2002 and got married in January 2009. She gave birth to their son, Kai David Singh Stenson in May 2009. The couple separated in 2012 and their divorce was finalized in 2013.
She previously dated Iris actor, Kieran Creggan for five years.
What is Parminder Nagra Height?
Parminder Nagra stands at the height of 1.6 m i.e. 5 feet and 3 inches tall. She has a bodyweight of 114.5 lbs i.e. 52 kg. She has a slim body build. Her eye color is dark brown and her hair color is black.
Her sexual orientation is straight.
What is Parminder Nagra's Net Worth?
Parminder Nagra earns from her career in the entertainment industry. The majority of her income comes from her acting career. She started her career in theater and later starred in numerous movies and tv shows. Her net worth is estimated at around $4 million at present.
Trivias About Parminder Nagra You Need To Know.
- Her parents were factory workers.
- Her parents emigrated from the Punjab region of India in the 1960s.
- She is the first woman to win the FIFA Presidential Award.
- She visited India for the first time when she went to Calcutta to film the final scenes of the Anglo-Indian drama, Second Generation.
- She has starred in several television films.
- The University of Leicester honored Nagra with the Honorary Degree of Doctors of Letters in 2007.
- She was one of the bearers of the Olympic torch as it passed through London on its way to the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece.