Patrick Dempsey - Bio, Net Worth, Story, Married, Wife, Family, Age, Nationality, Siblings, Height, Awards, Racing, Cars, Record, Wiki, Facts, Kids
Patrick Dempsey is an American actor and race car driver who got recognition for his role as neurosurgeon Derek (McDreamy) Shepherd in the American medical drama television series "Grey's Anatomy" from 2005-2015. Patrick also made his guest appearances in the 17th season of Grey's Anatomy in 2020. Patrick won two Screen Actors Guild Awards and three People's Choice Awards for his role in Grey's Anatomy. He has acted in various hit films including "Can't Buy Me Love", "Loverboy", "Brother Bear 2", "Flypaper", "Freedom Writers", and "Made of Honour".
Patrick, as a race car driver, has competed for om pro-am events such as the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Rolex 24 at Daytona sports car race, and Ensenada SCORE Baja 1000 off-road race. He also maintains a sports car and vintage car collection. He also was the co-owner of the "Vision Racing Indycar Series" team and is now the current owner of Dempsey Racing.
Besides on 17th November 2020, Patrick made his guest appearances in the 17th season of Grey's Anatomy in his role of Dr. Derek Shepherd. His appearance in the series was for the first time since his last appearance in the series in April 2015 when his character died
He is active in the social media platform with around 5.5 million followers on his verified Instagram account: @patrickdempsey and has around 1.5 million followers on his Twitter account: @PatrickDempsey
What is Patrick Dempsey famous for?
- Famous as an American actor and race car driver
- Known for his role as Dr.Derek (McDreamy) Shepherd in the American medical drama television series "Grey's Anatomy"
Where is Patrick Dempsey from?
Patrick Dempsey was born on January 13, 1966, in Lewiston, Maine, United States. His birth name is Patrick Galen Dempsey. He holds an American nationality. His ethnicity is White while Capricorn is his zodiac sign. He is of Scottish descent.
Patrick was born to Amanda Hempsey(mother) and William Dempsey(father). His mother was a school secretary while his father was an Insurance salesman. He has two elder sisters: Mary and Alicia and a half brother, Shane Wray. His mother died on March 24, 2014, at the age of 79 due to cancer.
He was raised in the nearby towns of Turner and Buckfield along with his siblings. He did his schooling at Buckfield High School and St. Dominic High School. Later, he moved to Hoston where he attended Willowridge High School.
When he was twelve years old, he was diagnosed with dyslexia. During that time, he felt very insecure. While enrolling at the school, he participated in many juggling competitions.
He also became the first runner-up at the International Jugglers' Association Championship in the Juniors category placing behind the best technical juggler of all time, Anthony Gatto. He won the Maine state slalom championship. Later, he decided to pursue his career as an actor.
Patrick Dempsey Acting Career
- Patrick Dempsey started his professional acting career by playing the role of David in the San Franciso production's play "Torch Song Trilogy" for which he toured with the company for four months in Philadelphia.
- He then joined the tour of the play "Brighton Beach Memoirs" in the lead role. He also acted in the stage productions of various plays including "On Golden Pond", and "The Subject Was Roses".
- He made his screen debut with the role of Underground Stuff Buyer in the 1985 American science fiction horror film "The Stuff".
- In the year 1987, he got his first main role as Ellsworth Wisecarver in the American comedy film "In the Mood".
- Then, he co-starred in the third installment of the comedy classic "Metaballs III: Summer Job".
- He continued his acting career by appearing in various movies including "Can't Buy Me Love", "Loverboy", "Scream 3", "In a Shallow Grave", "Couple de Ville", and "Run".
- He also portrayed the role of Mike Damone in the American sitcom "Fast Times" for seven episodes in 1986.
- In 1993, he was seen in the role of John F. Kenedy in a two-part TV mini-series "JFK: Reckless Youth".
- Patrick also acted in the two miniseries: "A Season in Purgatory(1996)", and "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea(1997)".
- From 1998 to 2004, he acted in many TV films and series such as "Jeremiah(1998)", "Crime and Punishment(1998)", "Once and Again(2000, 2002)", "Lucky 7(2003)", "Blonde(2001)", "Karen Sisco(2003)", "Red Nose Day Actually(2017)", and "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair(2018)".
- He portrayed the co-starring role of Ben Weissman in the 2004 American historical drama film "Iron Jawed Angels". In the same year, he acted in the TV series "The Practice".
- He also gave his voice for the role of Kenai in the American animated direct-to-video road film "Brother Bear 2" in 2006.
- In the year 2005, Patrick got his career breakthrough after he began portraying the main role of Dr. Derek Shepherd(McDreamy) in the American medical drama television series "Grey's Anatomy". His character of Dr. Derek Shepherd is a fictional surgeon.
- His role in the series was appreciated a lot and won him many awards like the Screen Actors Guild Award and Teen Choice Award. His on-screen chemistry with actress, Ellen Pompeo, who portrays the role of Meredith Grey, received a lot of praise and positive reviews.
- Also on November 17, 2020, he returned to his role of Dr. Dereck in Grey's Anatomy in its 17th season's 1st episode by making his guest appearance.
- He worked in Grey's Anatomy till 2015 before his character died in April 2015.
- He then appeared in the blockbuster hit romantic comedy "Bridget Jones's Baby" in 2016.
- He also appeared in the role of Dr. Derek Shepherd in the American medical drama television series "Private Space" for two episodes.
- Patrick has acted in various hit films such as "Freedom Writers", "Enchanted", "Made of Honour", "Flypaper", "The Emperor's Club", "Face the Music", and "Ushi Must Marry".
- In the year 2016, he portrayed the starring role of Jack Qwant in the romantic comedy film "Bridget Jones's Baby" alongside Renée Zellweger and Colin Firth.
- In 2020, he played the role of Dominic Morgan in the financial thriller television series "Devils".
- At present, he is busy working for his upcoming television series "Ways & Means" which is set to be aired on CBS.
Patrick Dempsey Auto Racing
- Patrick Dempsey maintains an awesome sports car and vintage car collection.
- He also co-owned the Vision Racing IndyCar Series team.
- He currently is the owner of Dempsey Racing which raced in the Tudor United SportsCar Series.
- He has participated in many prestigious pro-am events like "24 Hours of Le Mans", "Rolex 24 at Daytona sports car race", and "Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 off-road race".
- In 2011, he competed and placed in third place at the 2011 Rolex 24 at Daytona.
- He also declared that he would "walk away" from acting if he could and dedicate himself full-time to motorsports.
Patrick Dempsey Awards and Honours
- 2 Screen Actors Guild Award
- 2 People's Choice Award
- 1 Young Artist Award
- An honorary doctorate by Bowdoin College in 2013 for his philanthropic work
- An honorary doctorate from Bates College
- Ranked at No. 1 on Buddy TV’s list of "TV’s Sexiest Men of 2011"
- Ranked at No.2 on People's Magazines list of "Sexiest Men Alive"
Patrick Dempsey Wife
Patrick Dempsey is a married man. He is currently married to his second wife, Jillian Fink. Fink is a hairstylist and a makeup artist. The couple tied the knot on July 31, 1999. The couple is blessed with a daughter, Taula Fyfe who was born on February 20, 2002, and twin sons Sullivan Patrick and Darby Galen who were born on February 1, 2007.
In January 2015, Fink filed for divorce. The couple also released a statement reading "It is careful consideration and mutual respect that we have decided to end our marriage".However, the couple called off their divorce in November 2016 after they were spotted holding hands in Paris. Later, Patrick also shared "Our marriage was not something I was prepared to let go of. At present, the couple is happily living together.
Previously, he was married to his manager, actress, and acting coach, Rochelle "Rocky" Parker. Patrick, then 21, tied the knot with Parker, then 48, on August 24, 1987.
She was his best friend's mother. Later, the couple got divorced on April 26, 1994, and she died in 2014.
Patrick Dempsey Net Worth
Patrick Dempsey is a multi-millionaire actor who has quite healthy earnings from his stable and successful career as an actor. Having his professional career started in 1984 that lasted for over 35 years and still ongoing, Patrick has easily managed to amass a million worth of fortune from his over 40 films that he has done till 2020. With his several movies and shows, Patrick has managed to amass a wealthy fortune estimated to be around $80 million as of 2020. He also earns additional income from his endorsement deals and his Dempsey Racing. He also owns a sports car and vintage car collection. He is living a lavish and luxurious lifestyle with his earnings.
Patrick Dempsey Height
Patrick Dempsey is a handsome man with an athletic body physique in his mid-50s. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 10inch.(1.79m) while his body weighs around 77kg(170 lbs). He has a well maintained athletic body physique with 39 inches as his chest size, 32 inches as his waist size, and 15 inches as his bicep size. He has a fair complexion with brown hair and green eyes. He wears a shoe of size 6.5(US).
Trivias About Patrick Dempsey You Need To Know.
- Patrick Dempsey is a supporter of Scottish football club Rangers F.C.
- He loves auto racing in his spare time.
- It is necessary for him to memorize all his lines to perform, even for auditions where he was unlikely to get the part as he was diagnosed with dyslexia.
- He ranked at no.1 position on Buddy TV's list of "TV's Sexiest Men of 2011
- His character Derek Shepherd had been written as a Bowdoin graduate after an alumnus led a petition signed by over 450 students to "adopt" the character as an alumnus
- Patrick Dempsey told Barbara Walters on her 2008 Oscar special that he thinks dyslexia made him what he is today.