Facts About Paul Thomas Anderson
|Celebrated Name||Paul Thomas Anderson|
|Age||52 Years Old|
|Nick Name||P.T. Anderson|
|Birth Name||Paul Thomas Anderson|
|Profession||Film Director , Screen Writer , Producer|
|Place Of Birth||Los Angeles, California|
|Sisters||Amanda Anderson, Kathryn Anderson, Elizabeth Anderson, Victoria Anderson|
|Brothers||Ernest Anderson, Stephen Anderson, Richard Anderson, Michael Anderson|
|School||John Thomas Dye School, Campbell Hall School, Cushing Academy, and Montclair Prep|
|College / University||Santa Monica College, Emerson College, New York University|
|Awards||BAFTA Awards and more|
|Marital Status||Unmarried (In a Relationship)|
|Daughter||Pearl Minnie Anderson, Lucille Anderson, Minnie Ida Anderson|
|Net Worth||$60 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Filming Career|
|Height||5 ft 10 in or 178 cm|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
Paul Thomas Anderson is an American film director, producer as well as a screenwriter. He made his feature-film debut with "Hard Eight" (1996). Then, he found critical and commercial success with "Boogie Nights" (1997), set in the Golden Age of Porn, and received further accolades with "Magnolia" (1999), an ensemble piece set in the San Fernando Valley, and "Punch-Drunk Love" (2002), a romantic comedy film. His fifth film "There Will Be Blood" achieved major critical and commercial success, and is often cited as one of the greatest films of the 2000s which was then followed by The Master (2012) and Inherent Vice (2014). His eighth film, Phantom Thread, was released in 2017 and his ninth film, Licorice Pizza, is set to release in 2021. Also, he directed a documentary, "Junun" (2015), about the making of the album of the same name in India. He has cited Stanley Kubrick, Robert Altman, Jonathan Demme, Martin Scorsese, Orson Welles, Max Ophüls, Mike Leigh, and Robert Downey, Sr., as his influences. He is nicknamed P.T. Anderson.
What is Paul Thomas Anderson Famous For?
- Being an American film director, producer, and screenwriter.
- His films are known for their bold visual style which includes stylistic trademarks such as constantly moving camera, Steadicam-based long takes, memorable use of music, and multilayered audiovisual imagery.
Who are the Parents of Paul Thomas Anderson? Know About His Nationality, Family, Siblings
Paul Thomas Anderson was born on 26th June 1970. He is from Los Angeles, California, the USA. He holds American nationality and he belongs to American-White ethnic background. His race is White. His birth sign is Cancer as per his birthdate. He follows the Christianity religion. About his parents, he is the son of his father, Ernie Anderson who is an actor by profession, and his mother whose name goes by Edwina. Ernie was an actor who was the voice of ABC and a Cleveland television late-night horror movie host known as "Ghoulardi" (after whom Anderson later named his production company). He had a troubled relationship with his mother but was close with his father, who encouraged him to become a writer or director. He also has eight siblings namely; Amanda Anderson (Sister), Ernest Anderson (Brother), Stephen Anderson (Brother), Kathryn Anderson (Sister), Elizabeth Anderson (Sister), Victoria Anderson (Sister), Richard Anderson (Brother), Michael Anderson (Brother). He is the third-youngest of nine children. His present age is 51 as of 2021.
Coming towards his education details, Paul has studied in Buckley, Sherman Oaks, John Thomas Dye School, Campbell Hall School, Cushing Academy, and Montclair Prep. Paul has completed his graduation from Santa Monica College and his English majors from Emerson College. In addition, he also attended New York University for a period of 2 days.
Paul Thomas Anderson Career Timeline
- Paul Thomas Anderson appeared in his first film when he was only eight.
- He then began making films on a Betamax video camera that his father bought in 1982.
- His very first film was a 30-minute mockumentary shot on a video called "The Dirk Diggler Story" (1988), about a pornography star; the story was inspired by John Holmes, who also served as a major inspiration for Boogie Nights.
- Paul began his career as a production assistant on television, films, music videos, and game shows in Los Angeles and New York City.
- He then made his second film "Cigarettes & Coffee" (1993), a short film connecting multiple storylines with a $20 bill.
- Moreover, he direct his first full-length feature, "Sydney", retitled "Hard Eight".
- Next, he began working on the script for his next feature film i.e "Boogie Nights" which is based on his short film "The Dirk Diggler Story", and is set in the Golden Age of Porn. It was released on 10th October 1997 and was a critical and commercial success.
- After the major success of "Boogie Nights", he then made his next film "Magnolia" in 1999. He stated after the film's release, "what I really feel is that Magnolia is, for better or worse, the best movie I'll ever make".
- He wrote and directed a segment for Saturday Night Live with Ben Affleck, "SNL FANatic", based on the MTV series "FANatic" in 2000.
- After that, he made his next romantic comedy-drama film "Punch-Drunk Love" (2002).
- His another film "There Will Be Blood" (2007) was based on Upton Sinclair's novel "Oil!".
- On 14th September 2012, Paul Anderson's next film "The Master" was released in North America.
- He next directed "Junun", a 2015 documentary which was premiered at the 2015 New York Film Festival.
- His eighth feature film, "Phantom Thread" was released in late 2017. He directed a short film for Haim in 2017, "Valentine".
- In 2019, Anderson directed the short film Anima, starring singer Thom Yorke and featuring music from Yorke's Anima album. It was screened in select IMAX theatres on June 26 and released on Netflix on June 27.
- His next film was announced to be produced by Focus Features on 18th December 2019. The film, called "Licorice Pizza" had finished principal photography, with post-production beginning in November 2020.
- On 20th April 2021, it was announced that the film is set for a limited release on November 26 and a wide release on December 25. On 16th February 2019, Elswit stated he would not work with Anderson on the next films.
- Besides this, he also has directed music videos for artists including Fiona Apple, Radiohead, Haim, Joanna Newsom, Aimee Mann, Jon Brion, and Michael Penn.
- In 2019, he directed the short film "Anima", starring singer Thom Yorke and featuring music from Yorke's Anima album. It was screened in select IMAX theatres on June 26 and released on Netflix on June 27.
Awards and Achievements
Paul Thomas Anderson has been nominated for eight Academy Awards, one Golden Globe Award, and five BAFTA Awards, and has won a Best Director Award at Cannes, both a Golden and a Silver Bear at Berlin, and a Silver Lion at Venice. He has been called "one of the most exciting talents to come along in years" and "among the supreme talents of today." As of 2020, he became the only person to win all three director prizes from the three major international film festivals (Cannes, Berlin, Venice).
Paul Thomas Anderson Personal Life: Who is his long-term girlfriend, Maya Rudolph?
Paul Thomas Anderson is still an unmarried man. Thus, he has no wife at present. But he is in a happy relationship with his girlfriend or partner, Maya Rudolph. By occupation, Maya Rudolph is an American actress, comedian, singer, and voice actress. The duo have been in a long term relationship and they are also the proud parents of four kids; 3 daughters named Pearl Minnie Anderson (b. October 2005), Lucille Anderson (b. November 2009), and Minnie Ida Anderson (b. August 2013); and a son named Jack Anderson (b. July 2011). As of today, the duo is enjoying their present life happily without any disturbances. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
Previously, he was in a love relationship with Fiona Apple (American singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, and pianist) for five years (1997-2002). He also has a short-term affair with Estella Warren (a Canadian actress).
Maya Rudolph is an American actress, as well as a comedian. Her present age is 49 according to her birth date of July 27, 1972. She spent her childhood in Gainesville, Alachua County, Florida, United States. She is of Ashkenazi Jewish, British, and Irish descent on her father’s side and African-American descent on her mother’s side. She rose to fame in the mid-1990s as a member of the alternative rock band "The Rentals". She has appeared in films including Grown Ups (2010), Bridesmaids (2011), Grown Ups 2 (2013), Inherent Vice (2014), Sisters (2015), CHiPs (2017), Life of the Party (2018), and Wine Country (2019).
Paul Thomas Anderson Net Worth: How rich is he?
Paul Thomas Anderson is a well-recognized director, screenwriter as well as a producer whose net worth is $60 Million as of 2021. His main source of wealth comes from producing and directing movies. He created his first movie when he was a teen. He has also directed ads for brands like Mattress Man. He has also directed several music videos for an artist. Anderson's exact salary details and net income is still to get unfolded yet. He is living a lavish lifestyle as of today.
Paul Thomas Anderson Height and Weight
Paul Thomas Anderson is a handsome and cool film director who has a decent height of 5 ft 10 in or 178 cm. His balanced bodyweight measures 78 KG or 172 lbs. His body type is slim. He has dark brown hair color and he has a pair of attractive blue eyes.
Trivias About Paul Thomas Anderson You Need To Know.
- Paul Thomas Anderson created his first movie when he was a teen.
- He has directed ads for brands like Mattress Man.
- As of 2020, he became the only person to win all three director prizes from the three major international film festivals (Cannes, Berlin, Venice).
- He has been called "one of the most exciting talents to come along in years" and "among the supreme talents of today."
- His father, Ernie was an actor who was the voice of ABC and a Cleveland television late-night horror movie host known as "Ghoulardi" (after whom Anderson later named his production company).
- He attended New York University for a period of 2 days.