Penelope Cruz - Bio, Net Worth, Dating History, Husband, Parents, Siblings, Family, Ethnicity, Nationality, Age, Height, Wiki, Awards, Career, Facts
Penelope Cruz Sanchez, popularly known as Penelope Cruz is a Spanish actress. Sanchez made her breakthrough with the 1992 Spanish film Jamon Jamon and has starred in numerous Spanish movies to date. She won an Academy Award and BAFTA Award for Best Supporting Actress for her work in the 2009 film, Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Cruz then moved to Hollywood which garnered her worldwide recognition. She has won numerous accolades for her works including an Academy Award among several others.
What is Penelope Cruz Famous For?
- Won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2008 for her work in Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
Where is Penelope Cruz From?
Penelope Cruz was born on 28 April 1974. Her birth name is Penelope Cruz Sanchez. Her birth place is in Alcobendas, Madrid in Spain. She holds Spanish nationality. She was born to her father, Eduardo Cruz, and her mother, Encarna Sanchez. She has two siblings, Monica, and Eduardo. She also has a paternal half-sister, Salma. She belongs to the Hispanic ethnicity and her religion is Christianity. Her hometown is Alcobendas. Her zodiac sign is Taurus.
Penelope Cruz Career
- Penelope Cruz started training in dance at an early age.
- She studied classical ballet for 9 years at Spain's National Conservatory.
- She then 3 years of Spanish ballet training and 4 years of theater at Cristina Rota's school.
- She became a cinephile around the age of 10 or 11.
- Her interest in acting became intense after seeing the film, Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!.
- She did casting calls for an agent but was rejected multiple times.
- She won an audition at a talent agency over more than 300 other girls.
- She made her acting debut in a music video for the Spanish pop group Mecano's song "La Fuerza del Destino" in 1989.
- She made her television debut as the host of the Spanish TV channel Telecinco's talk show, La Quinta Marcha between 1990 and 1991.
- She made her acting debut in television with a guest role in the French TV series, Serie Rose in 1991. She appeared nude in the series.
- She made her feature film debut in the lead role in the 1991 comedy-drama art house film, Jamon, Jamon.
- She appeared topless in the film making her "a major sex symbol".
- She made her breakthrough with the film and was nominated for a Spanish Actors Union Newcomer Award and a Goya Award for Best Actress.
- She is known for her works in Spanish films, Belle Epoque, Open Your Eyes, The Girl of Your Dreams, Live Flesh, Manolete, All About My Mother, Volver, Broken Embraces, I'm So Excited!, Pain and Glory, Parallel Mothers, and Loving Pablo among others.
- For her role in The Girl of Your Dreams, she won the Goya Award and Spanish Actors' Union Award. She was also nominated for the European Film Award.
- She also starred in several Italian films including To Rome with Love.
- At the age of 20, she went to live in New York for two years at Christopher and Greenwich to study ballet and English.
- Cruz started playing in Hollywood films in the late 1990s.
- Her first American film was the 1998 western film, The Hi-Lo Country. She was nominated for an ALMA Award for Best Actress for her role.
- She landed her first American lead role as Isabelle in the 2000 American fantasy romantic comedy film, Woman on Top.
- Cruz made her Hollywood breakthrough when she played Sofia Serrano opposite Tom Cruise in the 2001 American film, Vanilla Sky.
- She then played the wife of Johnny Depp in the 2001 film, Blow.
- She is known for her roles in American films, All the Pretty Horses, Waking Up in Reno, Gothika, Noel, Bandidas, Sahara, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Counselor, Murder on the Orient Express, Volver, Nine, Zoolander 2, Grimsby among others.
- She was nominated for Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild Award, the BAFTA Award, and Academy Award for her work in the 2006 Spanish film, Volver. She won Goya Award and European Film Award for the role.
- She won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2008 for her work in Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona. She also won Goya Award and earned Golden Globe and SAG nominations.
- She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, and SAG Awards for her role as Carla Albanese in the 2009 film version of the musical, Nine.
- She won the David di Donatello for the 2004 Italian film, Don't Move. She also won the European Film Award for Best Actress for the film.
- She made her American television debut as Italian fashion designer Donatella Versace in the FX series, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story.
- She was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie.
Who is Penelope Cruz Husband?
Penelope Cruz is a married woman. She is married to Javier Bardem. The couple first met when they were co-stars in Jamon, Jamon. Together, they starred in the 2013 film, The Chancellor and the 2018 film, Everybody Knows. They started dating in 2007 and tied a knot to each other in a private ceremony in July 2010. They share a son named, Leo Encinas Cruz, born in 2013.
Cruz previously dated Tom Cruise for three years. They started dating after working together in the 2001 film, Vanilla Sky. They broke up in early 2004.
How Tall is Penelope Cruz?
Penelope Cruz stands at the height of 1.68 m i.e. 5 feet and 6 inches tall. She has a body weight of around 137 lbs i.e. 67 kg. She has a slim body build. Her body measurements are 35-27-35 inches. Her bra size is 32C. Her eye color is dark brown and her hair color is dark brown. Her sexual orientation is straight.
Her dress size is 6 (US) and her shoe size is 6.5 (US).
What is Penelope Cruz Net Worth?
Penelope Cruz is one of the successful Spanish actresses. She is not only successful in Spain but also paved a successful career path in Hollywood. She has starred in numerous box office hit movies and has grossed millions worldwide. She has endorsed several top brands in multimillion deals and has modeled for Mango, Ralph Lauren, Chanel, and L'Oreal among several others. Her net worth is estimated at around $75 million.
Trivias About Penelope Cruz You Need To Know.
- Her father was an Extremaduran retailer and car mechanic who died in 2015.
- Her mother is an Andalusian hairdresser and personal manager.
- Her father bought her a Betamax machine.
- Her sister Monica is an actress and her brother is a singer.
- She is the first and only Spanish actress to be nominated for and to win an Academy Award.
- She is the sixth Hispanic person to ever receive the award.
- She is the first Spanish actress to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She received the 2,436th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- She learned Italian for her role in Don't Move.
- She voiced guinea pig spy, Juarez in G-Force.
- She was honored at the Museum of Modern Art in New York for being “an artist of global importance” in December 2021.
- She was a guest editor for the French Vogue magazine in 2010.
- Esquire named her the Sexiest Woman Alive in 2014.
- She donated her salary from The Hi-Lo Country to Mother Teresa's mission.
- She is known for her philanthropic works in Nepal, India, and Uganda.
- She worked with Mother Teresa.
- She posed for ads supporting PETA's anti-fur campaign in 2012 and 2018.
- She became an advocate of breastfeeding in public following the birth of her children.
- She signed a petition that called for the release of filmmaker Roman Polanski during his arrest in Switzerland for his 1977 charge for drugging and raping a 13-year-old girl.