Peter Handke - Bio, Net Worth, Nobel Prize Literature 2019, Books, Awards, Married, Wife, Sophie, Kids, Movies, Height, Parents, Age, Facts, Wiki
An Austrian novelist, playwright, translator, poet, film director as well as a screenwriter is named for Peter Handke who is famous for his works such as the play Publikumsbeschimpfung (Offending the Audience) and the novel Die Angst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter (The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick). Prompted by his mother's suicide in 1971, he reflected her life in the novel Wunschloses Ungluck (A Sorrow Beyond Dreams). He was a member of the Grazer Gruppe. He received many awards, from the 1973 Georg Büchner Prize to the 2018 Austrian Nestroy Theatre Prize? for Lifetime achievement. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2019. Overall, he is a very talented novelist.
Early Life of Peter
On 6th December 1942, Peter was born in Griffen, Austria. His nationality is Austrian and his ethnicity is White. He is Christian by religion. His father, Erich Schonemann, was a bank clerk and German soldier whom Handke did not meet until adulthood. His mother Maria, a Carinthian Slovene, married Bruno Handke, a tram conductor and Wehrmacht soldier from Berlin before Peter was born. His half-sister Monika was born in 1947. He experienced his stepfather as more and more violent due to alcoholism. He was sent to the Catholic Marianum boys' boarding school where his first writing in the school newspaper, Fackel was published. He then went to the University of Graz in the year 1961. His mother took her own life in 1971, reflected in his novel Wunschloses Ungluck (A Sorrow Beyond Dreams).
Body Measurements of Peter
Being at the age of 76, Peter still looks very handsome with an attractive personality and charming smile on his face. His eye color is green and his hair color is brown. He also wears a glass making him smart. He has a short beard as well. His perfect height matches with his body weight a lot. But his exact body measurements such as height, weight, shoe size, waist size, and more details are still a mystery as it has not been revealed by any sources yet neither he himself revealed it. So, it will be added soon once we get details about it. Overall. he has got a healthy body.
Career of Peter
- Peter started himself as a writer.
- He linked up with the Grazer Gruppe which is an association of young writers.
- Later, the group published a magazine on literature, manuskripte which published Handke's early works.
- The members of the group included Wolfgang Bauer and Barbara Frischmuth.
- He then abandoned his studies in 1965 after the German publishing house Suhrkamp Verlag accepted his novel Die Hornissen.
- He rose to fame after his appearance at a meeting of avant-garde artists belonging to the Gruppe 47 in Princeton, New Jersey in the year 1966.
- His play Publikumsbeschimpfung (Offending the Audience) premiered at the Theater am Turm in Frankfur.
- He then became one of the co-founders of the publishing house Verlag der Autoren in 1969, with a new economical concept as it belonged to the authors.
- He also co-founded Grazer Autorenversammlung in the year 1973 and became the member until the year 1977.
- He has also written several scripts for films and he directed Die linkshandige Frau (The Left-Handed Woman), which was released in the year 1978 which was nominated for the Golden Palm Award at the Cannes Film Festival and also won the Gold Award for German Arthouse Cinema in 1980.
- He then won the 1975 German Film Award in Gold for his screenplay for Falsche Bewegung (The Wrong Move).
- His travelogue Eine winterliche Reise zu den Flussen Donau, Save, Morawa und Drina oder Gerechtigkeit fur Serbien (published in English as A Journey to the Rivers: Justice for Serbia) created controversy in 1996 as he portrayed Serbia among the victims of the Yugoslav Wars.
- His public support of Slobodan Milosevic (the former president of Yugoslavia who was indicted for war crimes by a UN tribunal for his role in the Yugoslav Wars), was considered controversial in the West, including his delivery of a eulogy in Serbian at Milosevic's funeral, on 18th March 2006.
- He then lived in Dusseldorf, Berlin, Kronberg, in Paris, the U.S. (1978 to 1979) and in Salzburg (1979 to 1988) after leaving Graz.
- He is the subject of the documentary film Peter Handke: In the Woods, Might Be Late (2016).
Awards of Peter
Peter received the Nobel Prize in Literature in the year 2019.
His Nobel prize win was mostly negatively received in Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania and Croatia, resulting in public statements of disapproval from some politicians, academics, actors, journalists, and the other media, activists, etc because of writer's past pro-Serbian attitudes, including support for Slobodan Milosevic.
- 1973: Georg Büchner Prize
- 1987: Vilenica International Literary Prize
- 2000: Brothers Karic Award
- 2002: America Award
- 2002: Honorary doctor, University of Klagenfurt
- 2003: Honorary doctor, University of Salzburg
- 2008: Thomas-Mann-Preis
- 2009: Franz Kafka Prize
- 2012: Mülheimer Dramatikerpreis
- 2014: International Ibsen Award
- 2018: Nestroy Theatre Prize? for Lifetime achievement
- 2019: Nobel Prize in Literature
Net Worth of Peter
The award-winning novelist, playwright, translator, poet, film director as well as a screenwriter's net worth will be surely in millions as his net worth is increasing day by day. As of 2019, his exact net worth, as well as salary, has not been disclosed yet. In addition, it has not been revealed by any sources yet. But there is no doubt in the mind of his follower that his net worth will be in millions and he is earning a considerable amount of salary from his earnings. Moreover, he is satisfied with his earnings.
Marital Status, Wife, Children, Girlfriend
Peter is a married person. He married Libgart Schwarz in the year 1967. Later, the couple divorced in the year 1994 due to some problems. After that, he started dating Sophie Semin and married her in the year 1995. At present, the couple is living a happy life without any disturbances. His sexual orientation is Straight. They are enjoying their blissful life with each other. He has two daughters named Amina and Leocadie Handke.