Rebecca Walker - Bio, Net Worth, Partner, Age, Family, Books, Facts
Rebecca Walker is an American writer, feminist, and activist who is well known to be one of the prominent voices of "Third Wave Feminism" and also the coiner of the term "third wave" in which she proclaimed: "I am the Third Wave."
She also has won the Women of Distinction Award from the American Association of University Women. As an author, she has also written books including "To Be Real: Telling the Truth" and "Changing the Face of Feminism and What Makes A Man: 22 Writers Imagine the Future".
Walker is also recognized to be the only daughter of a popular novelist, Alice Walker who is best known as the author of the novel, "The Color Purple", she is also known to be the first African-American woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
She was even named to be one of the 50 future leaders of America in 1994. Besides, she is quite active on social media sites with over 12k followers on her verified Instagram: @iamrebeccawalker and over 11k followers on Twitter: @rebeccawalker.
What is Rebecca Walker Famous for?
- Famous as a writer, feminist, and activist.
- Known to the daughter of Alice Walker.
Where is Rebecca Walker from?
Rebecca Walker was born on November 17, 1969, in Jackson, Mississippi, United States. Her birth name is Rebecca Leventhal. Her nationality is American. Rebecca belongs to the African-American ethnicity while Scorpio is her zodiac sign.
Rebecca Walker was born as the only child to her parents; Alice Walker(mother) and Melvyn R. Leventhal(father). Her mother, Alice is a popular African-American Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist best known for her novel, "The Color Purple", while her father, Melvyn is a Jewish American civil rights lawyer.
Her parents however got divorced in 1976 when she was just 5 years old. She spent her childhood alternating every two years between her father's Jewish home and her mother's largely African-American environment.
Rebecca loved to spend her time with her mother and she even attended The Urban School of San Francisco. She was hugely influenced by her mother so she decided to change her surname from Leventhal to Walker at age of 15, her mother's surname.
After high school, she went on to study at Yale University, from where she graduated cum laude in 1992.
Rebecca Walker's Career Highlights
- Rebecca Walker started her career co-founding the "Third Wave Fund" along with Shannon Liss soon after her graduation.
- She marked her presence as a prominent feminist when she wrote an article for Ms. magazine titled "Becoming the Third Wave" at age of 22.
- She addressed the oppression of the female voice and introduced the concept of Third-wave feminism.
- She lectures on writing memoirs, multi-generational feminism, diversity in the media, multi-racial identity, contemporary visual arts, and emerging cultures.
- She has been featured on various popular media outlets such as Good Morning America, The Oprah Winfrey Show, and Charlie Rose.
- Her first book titled "To Be Real: Telling the Truth and Changing the Face of Feminism" was published in 1996.
- She released her first memoir titled "Black, White and Jewish: Autobiography of a Shifting Self" was released in 2000.
- Her second memoir titled "Baby Love: Choosing Motherhood After A Lifetime of Ambivalence" was published in 2007.
- Her works have been published in a range of magazines, such as Harper's, Essence, Glamour, Interview, Buddhadharma, Vibe, Child, and Mademoiselle magazines.
- Her first novel, "Adé: A Love Story", was published in 2013.
Who is Rebecca Walker's partner?
Rebecca Walker has identified herself as a bisexual. She was in a relationship with a Buddhist teacher, Glen together with whom she has a son named Tenzin Walker born in 2004.
After separating from Glen she dated neo-soul rapper and bassist, Meshell Ndegeocello, known for helping to spark the neo-soul movement in the music industry.
What is Rebecca Walker's net worth?
Rebecca Walker has quite good earnings from her career as a writer and activist. Having her career started initially co-founding the "Third Wave Fund" just after her graduation, Rebecca has managed to come a long way up just like her mother Alice.
Her novels, books, and memoirs surely have contributed a lot to her net worth which is estimated to be around $1.2 million.
Rebecca Walker's Height and Weight
Rebecca Walker is a beautiful lady with a well-maintained slim body physique in her 50s. She stands tall with a height of 5ft. 8inch while her body weighs around 58kg. She has a brown face complexion with her black hair and brown eyes.