Ricky Martin - Bio, Net Worth, Husband, Age, Career, Facts, Siblings
Ricky Martin is a Puerto Rican singer, songwriter, and actor. Having started his musical career at the age of 9, he went on to be regarded as one of the most influential artists in the world. He is credited with paving the way for a large number of Latin artists to achieve global success. Famous for his musical versatility, he is dubbed the "King of Latin Pop", the "King of Latin Music", and the "Latin Pop God". Having sold over 70 million records worldwide, he is one of the best-selling Latin music artists of all time, he is credited for taking the Latin pop music genre to the mainstream industry. For his music, he has won two Grammy Awards, five Latin Grammy Awards, five MTV Video Music Awards, two American Music Awards, three Latin American Music Awards, three Billboard Music Awards, nine Billboard Latin Music Awards, eight World Music Awards, fourteen Lo Nuestro Awards, and a Guinness World Record.
What is Ricky Martin Famous For?
- Considered the King of Latin Music.
- Regarded as one of the most influential artists in the world.
- One of the best-selling global artists of all time.
Where is Ricky Martin From?
Ricky Martin was born Enrique Martin Morales on 24 December 1971. He was born in San Juan in Puerto Rico and holds Puerto Rican nationality. He was born to his father, Enrique Martin Negroni, and his mother, Dona Nereida Morales. His mother is a former accountant and his father is a former psychologist and former regional supervisor for a Puerto Rican mental health agency. His parents divorced when he was two years old. He has several half-siblings on his parents' side. His half-siblings are Fernando, Angel Fernandez, Eric, Daniel, and Vanessa. He is of Hispanic (Basque and Canarian) ethnicity and has some Corsican origin through his paternal grandmother. His religion is Christianity but admires Buddhist philosophy. His star sign is Capricorn. He attended Colegio Sagrado Corazon. After graduating from high school, he was accepted into New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in 1990. However, he dropped out before beginning classes to move to Mexico City to perform in the play.
Ricky Martin Career
- Ricky Martin started singing at the early age of six. He used wooden kitchen spoons as make-believe microphones. He was only nine years old when he began appearing in television commercials. He appeared in several commercials for products such as soft drinks, toothpaste, and fast food restaurants, most notably Orange Crush and Burger King.
- He then began his musical career as a member of the Puerto Rican boy band, Menudo. He was selected at age 12 after a series of auditions to join the band. He made his debut with the band at the Luis A. Ferre Performing Arts Center in San Juan. He became a key member of the group and was a fan favorite as well. During his time with the band, the band released 11 albums. The band's first and only entry on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart was their hit single, "Hold Me".
- He also starred in the American romantic comedy/drama tv series, The Love Boat in 1985. In 1987, he starred in the Argentine soap opera, Por Siempre Amigos. Despite achieving success with the band, he was exhausted by the band's busy schedule and strict management.
- He left the band in 1989 took a break from the pressures he had to face and returned to Puerto Rico. He graduated from high school as well. He was set to attend New York University's Tisch School of the Arts but dropped out before classes began after his friends invited him to Mexico City to perform in the musical comedy play, Mama Ama el Rock. He also starred in the Mexican telenovela, Alcanzar una estrella in 1990. He won El Heraldo Award for his role in the film based on the tv series where Martin starred.
- His acting roles were noticed by a Sony Discos executive who offered him his first solo music recording contract. He released his debut solo album, Ricky Martin in 1991. The album peaked at no. 5 on the US Billboard Latin Pop Albums chart and sold over 500k copies worldwide. It contains hit singles, "Fuego Contra Fuego", "El Amor de Mi Vida", and "Dime Que Me Quires".
- He later went on to release several hit albums, Me Amaaras (1993), A Medio Vivir (1995), Vuelve (1998), Ricky Martin (1999), Sound Loaded (2000), Almas del Silencio (2003), Life (2005), Musica + Alma + Sexo (2011), A Quien Quiera Escuchar (2015), and Pausa + Play (2022). His major breakthrough came with the release of his third studio album, A Medio Vivir in 1995. It sold over three million copies worldwide and was certified gold in the United States, platinum in France, four times platinum in Spain as well as many other certifications in Latin American countries. The album included his hit singles, "Te Extrano, Te Olvido, Te Amo", "Maria", and "Volveras". The single, "Maria" became his breakthrough song and his first international hit. His first English language album is Ricky Martin, released in 1999. The album set several records and its lead single, "Livin' la Vida Loca" became one of the best-selling singles of all time.
- He released his first live album, MTV Unplugged in 2006. He filmed his MTV Unplugged set in Miami where he performed romantic ballads and up-tempo tropical dance songs debuting three new tracks. The album released in August debuted at number one on the Top Latin Albums chart and won two Latin Grammy Awards. He released his compilation album, Greatest Hits: Souvenir Edition in 2013.
- He won his first Grammy award for Best Latin Pop Performance at the 41st Annual Grammy Awards. He has numerous accolades to his name. He has won over 200 awards including two Grammy Awards, five Latin Grammy Awards, five MTV Video Music Awards, two American Music Awards, nine Billboard Latin Music Awards, eight World Music Awards, and fourteen Lo Nuestro Awards.
- In acting, he started in two seasons of the American sitcom, Getting By. His role in the hit soap opera, General Hospital earned him huge stardom, and became "one of the most talked about actors on the soap opera". He played the role of Marius Pontmercy in the play Les Miserables. He starred as Che in the Broadway revival of the musical Evita from March 2012 to January 2013 and broke theatre's box-office sales record seven times. He played fashion designer Gianni Versace's partner Antonio D'Amico in the FX true crime anthology tv series, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story. He was nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie at the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards. He has also starred in several other movies, tv shows, and tv plays.
Who is Ricky Martin Partner: Relationships History?
Ricky Martin stated in a 1999 interview that he experienced his first kiss at age 13 and lost his virginity a year later. He dated a woman in Mexico in 1990. He then dated Mexican singer Alejandra Guzman in 1992. After their split, he dated Argentine tennis player, Gabriela Sabatini. After dating a series of women, he dated a man whom he met at a radio station. He was playing in General Hospital at the time. However, their relationship did not last long. He began dating tv host, Rebecca de Alba in 1994. They remained in an on-and-off relationship with each other until 2005. During their break-up times, he dated Lilly Melgar, Adriana Biega, Maital Saban, and Ines Misan. Alba suffered several miscarriages during their relationship.
Martin became a father to twin boys named Matteo and Valentino in 2008. They were born via gestational surrogacy. He publicly came out as gay in 2010. After coming out as gay, his first relationship with a man was with Puerto Rican economist Carlos Gonzalez Abella. They dated from 2010 to 2014. He then started dating painter Jwan Yosef in 2016. The couple secretly married in January 2018. The couple welcomed their first daughter together, Lucia Martin-Yosef in December 2018. They welcomed their second child, a son, Renn Martin-Yosef in October 2019.
Martin became a subject of controversy in 2022 after he was issued a restraining order against him by the Puerto Rican authorities. The petitioner was later reported to be Martin's 21-year-old nephew, Dennis Yadiel Sanchez. Martin denied all the allegations against him. If convicted, Martin could face up to 50 years in prison due to the involvement of incest.
What is Ricky Martin Height?
Ricky Martin stands at the height of 1.82 m i.e. 5 feet and 11 inches tall. He has a body weight of 181 lbs i.e. 82 kg. He has a slim body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. He maintains his body perfectly well. He started practicing yoga after a trip to Thailand in 1997 and began practicing India after a trip to India.
His sexual orientation is gay.
What is Ricky Martin Net Worth?
Ricky Martin is one of the most successful global artists. He is one of the best-selling artists of all time. He has sold over 70 million records worldwide. The majority of his income comes from record sales, contracts, concerts, and tours. Besides music, he is also an actor and has starred in numerous movies and tv shows in his acting career. Being a global sensation, he is also the endorser of numerous popular brands. He launched his own company, Martin Music Lab in 2020.
He bought and sold numerous properties worth multi-millions in the past. He purchased a 7082 square foot house in Miami Beach for $6.4 million in 2001 which he sold for $10.6 million in 2005. He bought 11000 square foot villa in Los Angeles for $11.9 million and sold it for $15 million. He bought a 9491 square foot house in Miami Beach for $10 million and sold it for $10.6 million. He sold a mansion in Golden Beach for $12.8 million, which he bought for $16.2 million. He bought a condo in New York City for $5.9 million which he later sold for $7.1 million. He rented a mansion in Sydney in 2014 which was sold for $16 million in 2015. The mansion became famous as "the Bronte Wave House". He currently lives in a 11300 square foot mansion in Beverly Hills, which he bought in December 2016. He also owns a property in Puerto Rico and a private island in Brazil.
At present, his net worth is estimated at $130 million.
Trivias About Ricky Martin You Need To Know.
- The Martins traveled from Spain to Puerto Rico in 1779.
- He possesses a dramatic tenor vocal range.
- His song "Martin" was featured in the 1999 edition of The Guinness Book of Records as the biggest Latin hit.
- He created the FIFA World Cup anthem for 1998 titled "The Cup of Life".
- His 1999 Album Ricky Martin became the first male Latin act in history to debut at number one on the US Billboard 200 chart.
- His album Ricky Martin is the best-selling album ever by a Latin artist.
- He served as the coach on the second, third, and fourth seasons of The Voice Australia.
- He released a single, "Vida" for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- He served as the coach on the fourth season of The Voice Mexico.
- He was the executive producer and a judge on the American singing competition series, La Banda in 2015 and 2016.
- He served as the coach on the 18th season of the Italian talent show, Amici di Maria De Filippi in 2019.
- Along with Roselyn Sanchez and Paz Vega, Martin hosted the 20th Annual Latin Grammy Awards in 2019.
- Billboard labeled Martin "a video icon" and ranked him as the 79th Greatest Music Video Artist of All Time in 2020.
- He is the first Latin artist in history to receive a nomination for the Video of the Year Award at the MTV Video Music Awards.
- He is known for his "bon-bon shaking dance moves".
- He is the only Latin entertainer to make the list of Best Male Dancer by Evening Standard and Male Singer Who Can Dance by WatchMojo.
- According to YouGov surveys in 2021, he is the second-most famous Latin music artist in the United States.
- He is one of the most followed celebrities on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and TikTok.
- Wax statues of Martin are on display at the Madame Tussauds wax museums in San Francisco, Sydney, and Orlando.
- He is considered to be a sex symbol and is described as "the Latin heartthrob" by journalists.
- He has been named to be one of the sexiest men in the world by various publications including Broadway.com, Vh1, Entertainment Tonight, and TN among others.
- He has attended numerous fashion shows.
- He is regarded as one of the most influential artists in the world by several publications.
- He released his New York Times Best Seller memoir, Me in 2010.
- He released a children's book, Santiago the Dreamer in Land Among the Stars in 2013. Its Spanish-language edition was later published.
- He is vegan.
- He suffered from anxiety following the COVID-19 lockdowns.