Ricky Rubio - Bio, Net Worth, Salary, Married, Wife, Parents, Family, Nationality, Age, Birthday, Height, Wiki, Awards, Trade, Teams, Contract, Kids
Ricardo Rubio Vives, professionally known as Ricky Rubio is a Spanish professional basketball player. He plays as a point guard for the Minnesota Timberwolves of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He started his professional career from Joventut Badalona before being drafted by the Timberwolves in the first round of the 2009 NBA Draft. He signed with FC Barcelona due to the buyout clause in 2009 and led the team to one EuroLeague, one Spanish League, two Spanish King's Cups, two Spanish Supercups, and two Catalan Cup Tournament titles. He then returned to the Timberwolves in 2011 and made his NBA debut in 2011 where he spent six seasons. He then played for Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns before returning to Timberwolves in 2020.
On the international level, he led the Spanish U16 team to a gold medal in the 2006 FIBA Euro U16 Championship. He led the Spanish senior basketball team to win gold medals in EuroBasket in 2009 and 2011. He also led Spain to win gold at the World Cup in 2019. He is considered the best European guard prospect ever.
What is Ricky Rubio Famous For?
- Won EuroBasket with Spain in 2009 and 2011.
- Won World Cup 2019 with Spain.
Where is Ricky Rubio From?
Ricky Rubio was born on 21 October 1990. His birth name is Ricard Rubio Vives. His birth place is El Masnou in Spain. He holds Spanish nationality. He was born to his mother, Tona Vives, and his father, Esteve Rubio. His mother died at the age of 56 in 2016. He has a sister named Laia. He belongs to European ethnicity and his religion is Christianity. Information about his college career is not available at present.
Ricky Rubio Career
- Ricky Rubio started his professional basketball career at DKV Joventut.
- He became the youngest player ever to debut in ACB at 14 years and 11 months.
- He helped the club to win the FIBA EuroChallenge championship in 2006.
- He was named Spanish ACB League's Rising Star Award for the 2006-07 season.
- He made his EuroLeague debut against the Panathinaikos of Athens in October 2006.
- He won the EuroCup championship with Joventut in 2008.
- He was named Mister Europa Player of the Year in 2008.
- He was voted the Spanish ACB League's best point guard in 2008 and 2010.
- He was named the FIBA Europe Young Player of the Year in 2007, 2008, and 2009.
- He was named FIBA Europe U16 Championship MVP.
- He won the 2008 Mr. Europa Award.
- He was named the Defensive Player of the Year for the Spanish ACB League 2008–09 season.
- He declared for the 2009 NBA Draft.
- The Minnesota Timberwolves drafted him in the first round of the 2009 NBA Draft.
- Due to his buyout deal, he had to wait to play in the NBA.
- He signed a six-year contract with FC Barcelona in 2009. Barcelona bought Rubio's contract for €3.5 million.
- He would be able to play in NBA after the 2010-11 season.
- He won the 2009-10 EuroLeague with FC Barcelona.
- He also helped the team to win the EuroLeague Championship in 2010 and the Liga ACB Championship in 2011.
- After the 2010-11 season, he joined the Timberwolves.
- He made his regular-season debut in December 2011.
- He tore his ACL and his lateral collateral ligament defending Kobe Bryant on 9 March 2012.
- He averaged 10.6 points, 8.2 assists, and 2.2 steals in the 2011-12 season.
- He finished second in Rookie of the Year voting behind Kyrie Irving.
- He averaged 10.7 points, 7.3 assists, and 2.4 steals in the 2012-13 season. He finished second in steals per game.
- He averaged 9.5 points, 8.6 assists, and 2.3 steals in the 2013-14 season.
- He signed a four-year contract extension worth $56 million with the Timberwolves in October 2014.
- He sprained his left ankle in the game against the Orlando Magic in November 2014. He underwent surgery on his ankle in April 2015.
- He averaged 10.3 points, 8.8 assists, and 1.7 steals in the 2014-15 season.
- He averaged 10.1 points, 8.7 assists, and 2.1 steals in the 2015-16 season.
- He averaged 11.1 points, 9.1 assists, and 1.7 steals in the 2016-17 season.
- He was traded to the Utah Jazz in June 2017.
- He averaged 13.1 points, 5.3 assists, and 1.6 steals in the 2017-18 season.
- He suffered a left hamstring injury that ruled him out of the remaining playoffs in 2018.
- He averaged 12.7 points, 6.1 assists, and 1.3 steals in the 2018-19 season.
- He signed a three-year contract with the Phoenix Suns for $51 million in July 2019.
- He averaged 13.1 points, 8.9 assists and 1.5 steals in the 2019-20 season.
- He became the first Suns player to put up at least 20+ points, 10+ assists, and 7+ steals in a game since Kevin Johnson back in 1996.
- He tested positive for COVID-19 in June 2020.
- The Suns traded Rubio to the Oklahoma City Thunder in November 2020.
- The Thunder traded Rubio to his former team, Minnesota Timberwolves.
- He averaged 8.6 points, 6.4 assists, and 1.4 steals in the 2020-21 season.
Ricky Rubio International Career
- Ricky Rubio led the rising junior Spain national team to the FIBA Europe U16 Championship in August 2006. He led in points, rebounds, assists, and steals and was named tournament's MVP.
- He represented Spain's basketball team at the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics. They lost to the USA in the final.
- He led Spain to win gold at the EuroBasket 2009. He averaged 5.9 points, 2.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists, and 1.4 steals per game.
- He was named EuroLeague Rising Star in 2010.
- He also led Spain to win gold at the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup. Spain defeated Argentina in the final and he was named the World Cup MVP.
Who is Ricky Rubio Wife?
Ricky Rubio is a married man. The Spanish basketball player is married to Sara. The couple welcomed their first child, a son named Liam in January 2020. More details about his personal life will be updated soon.
How Tall is Ricky Rubio?
Ricky Rubio stands at a height of 1.91 m i.e. 6 feet and 3 inches tall. He has a body weight of 190 lbs i.e. 86 kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is brown and his hair color is black. His sexual orientation is straight.
What is Ricky Rubio Salary and Net Worth?
Ricky Rubio earns from his professional career as a basketball player. His income comes from contracts, salaries, bonuses, and endorsements. He started his professional basketball career from the Spanish team, FC Barcelona in 2009. He signed with Timberwolves in 2011, the team that drafted him 5th overall earlier in the 2009 NBA Draft. He went on to play with Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns before returning to the Timberwolves in 2020. At present, he has an annual salary of $16.2 million. His net worth is estimated at around $8 million.
Trivias About Ricky Rubio You Need To Know.
- He is the youngest player ever to play in the Spanish ACB League at age 14.
- He is the first player born in the 1990s to play in a EuroLeague game at age 16.
- He is also the fifth-youngest player to make their debut in the EuroLeague.
- He is the first player born in the 1990s to be drafted by the NBA.
- His parents made a deal not to make him available for interviews until his 18th birthday in 2008.
- He is the youngest player ever at age 17 to play in an Olympic basketball final.
- He was drafted 5th overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2009.
- Real Madrid tried to sign him in 2009.
- He is the first player to score 51 points in FIBA junior tournaments since Luol Deng in 2001.
- He is often compared to Pete Maravich.