Rishi Sunak Bio, Net Worth, MP, Wife, Age, Height, Facts, Education
Rishi Sunak is a British politician. A member of the Parliament for Richmond (Yorks) since 2015, he served as the Chief Secretary to the Treasury from 2019 to 2020 and Chancellor of the Exchequer from 2020 to 2022. In July 2022 he announced his candidacy to replace Borish Johnson in the Conservative party leadership election. He is seen as the favorite to become the next Prime Minister and leader of the Conservative Party.
What is Rishi Sunak Famous For?
- Chief Secretary to the Treasury from 2019 to 2020.
- Chancellor of the Exchequer from 2020 to 2022.
- Candidate for the leadership of the Conservative party.
Where is Rishi Sunak From?
Rishi Sunak was born on 12 May 1980. He was born in Southampton in England. He holds English nationality. He was born to Hindu Punjabi parents, Yashvir and Usha Sunak. His father was born and raised in the Colony and Protectorate of Kenya and his mother was born in Tanganyika (which later became part of Kenya). He has two younger siblings, Sanjay and Raakhi. His brother is a psychologist and his sister is the Chief of Strategy and Planning at Education Cannot Wait, the United Nations' global fund for education. His grandparents were born in Punjab Province, British India, and migrated from East Africa with their children to the UK in the 1960s. He belongs to the Indian ethnicity and his religion is Hindu. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Stroud School in Romsey, Hampshire. He later attended Winchester College. During his summer holidays, he worked as a waiter at a curry house in Southampton. He then studied Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (PPE) at Lincoln College, Oxford. He graduated with a first in 2001. He obtained his MBA from Stanford University in 2006. He was a Fulbright scholar.
Rishi Sunak Career
- Prior to obtaining his MBA, Rishi Sunak worked as an analyst for the investment bank Goldman Sachs between 2001 and 2004. He then worked for the hedge fund management firm, The Children's Investment Fund Management. In 2006, he became a partner. He left in November 2009 to join former colleagues at a new hedge fund firm, Theleme Partners. It launches in October 2010 with $700 million under management. He was also a director of the investment firm Catamaran Ventures, owned by his father-in-law, Indian businessman N.R. Narayana Murthy.
- Rishi Sunak started his political career as the Conservative candidate for Richmond (Yorks) in October 2014 defeating Wendy Morton. He was head of the Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Research Unit of center-right think tank Policy Exchange. He was elected as MP for the constituency at the 2015 general election with a majority of 36.2% vote. During the 2015-17 parliament, he was a member of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee.
- He was re-elected at the 2017 general election with a majority of 40.5%. He served as parliamentary under-secretary of state for local government between January 2018 and July 2019. He voted for then-Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit withdrawal agreement on all three occasions. He supported Boris Johnson in the 2019 Conservative Party leadership election.
- Boris Johnson appointed him as chief secretary to the Treasury in July 2019, serving under Chancellor Sajid Javid. He became a member of the Privy Council the next day. He was re-elected in the 2019 general election with an increased majority of 47.2%. During the cabinet reshuffle in February 2020, he was appointed as the Chancellor of the Exchequer. His first budget took place on 11 March 2020 with an announcement of £30 billion of additional spending, of which £12 billion was allocated for mitigation of the economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. He announced £330 billion in emergency support for businesses on 17 March 2020. He resigned from his position as chancellor on 5 July 2022.
- Sunak announced his candidacy in the Conservative party leadership election to replace Boris Johnson. Sunak and Liz Truss remained the final candidates for the leadership. The election by a ballot of Conservative Party members in September will decide the new leader of the Conservative Party.
Who is Rishi Sunak Wife?
Rishi Sunak is a married man. He is married to Akshata Murty, the daughter of the Indian billionaire N. R. Narayana Murthy, the founder of Infosys. The two first met while studying at Stanford University. They got married in August 2009 and share two daughters. Akshata Murty is one of the wealthiest women in Britain and owns a 0.91% stake in Infosys and owns shares in two of Jamie Oliver's restaurant businesses, Wendy's in India, Koro Kids, and Digme Fitness.
She is also the director of her father's investment firm, Catamaran Ventures. Sunak's wife, Akshata drove controversy when she was found avoiding paying an estimated £20 million in UK taxes and was paying only £30k to secure her non-domiciled status. Following the controversy, she announced that she would pay UK taxes on her global income.
They live at Kirby Sigston Manor in the village of Kirby Sigston, near Northallerton, North Yorkshire. It was reported in April 2022 that Sunak and his wife moved out of 11 Downing Street to a luxury West London home. They also own a mews house in Kensington in central London, a flat on Old Brompton Road, London, and a penthouse apartment in Santa Monica, California.
What is Rishi Sunak Height?
Rishi Sunak stands at the height of 1.73 m i.e. 5 feet and 8 inches tall. He has a body weight of around 156.5 lbs i.e. 71 kg. He has a slim body build. His eye color is light brown and his hair color is salt-n-pepper.
His sexual orientation is straight.
What is Rishi Sunak Net Worth?
Rishi Sunak and his wife Akshata have a combined net worth of £730 million. They were placed at 222nd in the Sunday Times Rich List 2022. He is the first frontline politician to join the rich list. His wife is a businesswoman who has several business ventures.
Did You Know?
- His father was a general practitioner and his mother was a pharmacist.
- He supported Brexit in the June 2016 EU membership referendum.
- Sunak was fined alongside Johnson for attending a party during COVID-19 restrictions.
- In an Ipsos MORI poll in September 2020, Sunak had the highest satisfaction score of any British Chancellor since Labour's Denis Healey in April 1978.
- He was the first Chancellor to raise the corporation tax rate since Healey in 1974.
- He was the first Chancellor in British history to have been found to have broken the law while in office.
- He took his oath as an MP at the House of Commons on the Bhagavad Gita.
- He was previously a governor of the East London Science School.
- He is a teetotaller.
- He has a Labrador called Nova.
- He is close friends with The Spectator's political editor James Forsyth. They are godparents to each other's children.
- He held the US permanent resident card from the 2000s until 2021.