Facts About Roger Mayweather
|62 Years Old
|Place Of Birth
|Grand Rapids, Michigan
|Cause Of Death
|17th March 2020
|Will Add Soon
|Source of Wealth
An American professional boxer who competed from 1981 to 1999, and worked as a boxing trainer is named for Roger Mayweather. Moreover, he was a two-weight world champion, having held the WBA and lineal super featherweight titles from 1983 to 1984, and the WBC light welterweight title from 1987 to 1989. His nephew is Floyd Mayweather. He is nicknamed as Black Mamba.
- Being the uncle of Floyd Mayweather
- With the Nickname of Black Mamba
Roger Mayweather (Uncle and trainer of Floyd Mayweather) dies at 58
Roger Mayweather died at the age of 58. He was a world champion in his own right before he became a trainer. He holds titles at featherweight and welterweight in the 1980s. He then began working with Floyd in the late 1990s with the nephew going to be unbeaten in 50 fights as well as earning a reputation as one of the best pounds for pound fighters of all time. His cause of death was from deteriorating health. It is the second tragedy to hit Floyd Mayweather this month after Josie Harris, the mother to three of boxing superstar Floyd's children, was found dead in her car in California on 11 March.
What is the birthplace of Roger Mayweather?
Roger Mayweather was born on 24th April 1961, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, into a boxing family. His father's name was Theartha Mayweather who left the family when he was still in his teens. He was raised mainly by his mother, Bernice Mayweather. His two brothers, Floyd Mayweather Sr. and Jeff Mayweather are well-known boxers. His nephew is Floyd Mayweather. While Floyd Sr. was a super welterweight contender and trainer, Jeffery was a 1990s lightweight contender. Floyd’s son, Floyd Joy Mayweather Jr., is also a famous boxer. He had another brother named Theartha Mayweather Jr., who died early. He has five sisters, among whom Anna (Parker) Jacobs, Eloise (Lloydell) Harris, and Jackie Mayweather are still living, while Evelyn Mayweather and Dorothy Patterson have passed away. His nationality was American and his ethnicity was Black. He was Christian by religion.
What is the Cause of Death of Roger Mayweather?
On 17th March 2020, Roger Mayweather died after years of deteriorating health.
How was the boxing career of Roger Mayweather?
- Roger Mayweather made his pro boxing debut on 29th July 1981 against Andrew Ruiz where he won by TKO in round 1.
- He beat Ruben Munoz Jr. for the USBA lightweight (135 lb) title in the thirteenth fight.
- After improving his record to 14-0, he earned a title shot on January 19, 1983, against Lineal and WBA super featherweight (130 lb) champion Samuel Serrano.
- He led on all three judges' scorecards before he beat Serrano by TKO in round 8 and effectively ended Serrano's career.
- He made two successful title defenses (against Jorge Alvarado and Benedicto Villablanca), but then his first loss came when he was knocked out in round 1 by Rocky Lockridge on February 22, 1984.
- He won the USBA super featherweight title when he gave Kenny Baysmore his first loss, by TKO in round 3.
- He then earned the opportunity to fight against WBC Junior Lightweight champion and future legend Julio Cesar Chavez on July 7, 1985.
- He beat Sammy Fuentes for the WBC Continental Americas lightweight title in November 1986.
- He fought against Pernell Whitaker for the NABF lightweight title on 28th March 1987.
- He was knocked down in round 1, but he knocked down Whitaker in round 9. Whitaker won by unanimous decision.
- He moved up to the Junior Welterweight (140 lb) division, he fought against WBC Junior Welterweight champion Rene Arredondo on November 12, 1987.
- He made four successful title defenses before he encountered Mexican champion, Julio César Chavez, again on May 13, 1989.
- He won the WBA Americas super lightweight title on April 5, 1990, from Ildemar Paisan.
- He fought Rafael Pineda for the vacant IBF junior welterweight title on December 7, 1991, but he lost by knockout in round 9.
- On March 14, 1993, Mayweather beat former WBA lightweight champion, Livingstone Bramble, by corner stoppage in round 5.
- He then defeated Eduardo Montes for the IBO light welterweight title by third-round knockout on May 28, 1994. Less than three weeks later, he defeated Marco Antonio Ramirez by round 3 TKO.
- In his next fight, against Johnny Bizzarro on August 4, 1994, Mayweather won the IBO welterweight (147 lb) title by unanimous decision where he defended the belt once in 1995.
- He fought the 14-0 Kostya Tszyu for the IBF junior welterweight title where Tszyu won by unanimous decision.
- He won his last title-the IBA welterweight title-on March 12, 1997, when he beat Carlos Miranda by round 12 TKO.
- His final bout was a majority decision victory over Javier Francisco Mendez on May 8, 1999. He ended his career with a total of nine major and minor titles in four weight classes.
- When Floyd Mayweather, Jr. turned pro in 1996, Roger Mayweather turned his attention away from his boxing career and focused more on being Mayweather's trainer.
- He rained Mayweather until early 1998, when Floyd Mayweather, Sr. was released from prison and became Mayweather's trainer. However, soon after Mayweather defeated Gregorio Vargas on March 18, 2000, Mayweather fired Mayweather, Sr. as his trainer and brought Roger back.
Who was the wife of Roger Mayweather?
Roger Mayweather's marital status is unknown as he had not mentioned anything about his personal life to the media. It is only revealed that he had a daughter named Jade and a son named Lekei. His sexual orientation was straight and he was not gay.
What is the net worth of Roger Mayweather?
The net worth of this famous boxing fighter was estimated to have $10 Million as of 2020 whereas his exact salary is still being calculated but there is no doubt in the mind of his followers that he was earning a considerable amount of salary from his work prior his death. His source of income was from his boxing career.
How tall is Roger Mayweather?
Roger Mayweather was a very handsome person with a tall height of 1.71 m. His weight was 78 Kg at the time of his death. His eye color was dark brown and his hair color was black. His other body measurements will be added soon.
Trivias About Roger Mayweather You Need To Know.
- He was 64-4 as an amateur and made his professional boxing debut on July 29, 1981.
- He was arrested in August 2009 for striking and choking female boxer Melissa St. Vil.
- His nephew is world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- He and Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant have both been given the nickname "Black Mamba".