Facts About Salt Bae
|39 Years Old
|Butcher , Chef , Restaurateur
|Place Of Birth
|His technique for preparing and seasoning meat.
|Erman, Ozgur, Ugur
|Faik Sahenk Primary School
|Source of Wealth
|Restaurant business (owner of the chain of steak restaurants, Nusr-Et
Nusret Gokce, popularly known as Salt Bae is a Turkish butcher, chef, and restaurateur. He is best known for his technique for preparing and seasoning meat. His technique became viral in January 2017. He has served many popular faces including celebrities, footballers, and politicians around the world. He currently owns a chain of steak houses, Nusr-Et across the Middle East and in the United States. He is also known for his philanthropic works. He was nominated for Shorty Award for Best in Food.
The Turkish butcher, Salt Bae is quite popular on social media. He has over 30 million followers on his Instagram and over 360 followers on Twitter.
What is Salt Bae Famous For?
- His technique for preparing and seasoning meat.
- Owns the chain of steak houses, Nusr-Et.
Where is Salt Bae From?
Salt Bae was born on 9 August 1983. His birth place is in Erzurum in Turkey. He holds Turkish nationality. He was born to a Kurdish family. He was born to a father, Faik Gokce, and a mother, Fatma Gokce. He has 3 siblings. His brothers are Erman, Ozgur, and Ugur. His father was a mineworker. Due to his family's poor financial condition, left studies in the 6th grade. He started to work as a butcher's apprentice in the Kadikoy district of Istanbul.
He attended Faik Sahenk Primary School in Darica.
Salt Bae Career
- As he grew up working as a butcher's apprentice, he eventually pursued the same business.
- Between 2007 and 2010, he visited several countries including Argentina and the United States.
- He worked in local restaurants for free. He worked for free to gain experience as a cook and a restaurateur.
- He opened his first restaurant, a steak house, Nusr-Et in Istanbul in 2010.
- He later opened a Dubai restaurant in 2014.
- He became an internet sensation in January 2017 after his video of cutting meat and sprinkling salt went viral.
- His viral video, "Ottoman Steak" was posted on his restaurant's Twitter account on 7 January 2017.
- The video was viewed 10 million times on Instagram.
- He got the nickname "Salt Bae" because of his unique way of sprinkling salt on the dish. He drops the salt from his fingertips to his forearm, which falls onto the dish.
- Many of the popular faces across the world started visiting his restaurants.
- His restaurants have been receiving mixed reviews. Many professionals gave his restaurants negative reviews in 2018.
- Eater's Robert Sietsema states, "If you are intent on judging New York's new branch of Nusr-Et only as a steakhouse, you'll probably be disappointed ... If, on the other hand, you appraise the place as a dinner theater, you will find it satisfying—but only if Salt Bae is in the house".
- Salt Bae has its restaurant branches in several countries in the middle east, Europe, and America.
- He has opened restaurants in Abu Dhabi and Dubai in the UAE, Doha in Qatar, Ankara, Bodrum, Istanbul, and Marmaris in Turkey, Jeddah in Saudi Arabia, Mykonos in Greece, Miami, New York, and Boston in the United States.
- Gokce was accused of getting a share of tips from his employees in November 2019. Four of his former employees accused him and stated that they were fired when they tried to ask questions about the tips. Gokce settled with his former employees and paid them $230,000. He later stated that he fired them because he was not satisfied with their performance.
- Public health officials ordered his restaurants in Boston to be closed in September 2020 for violating COVID-19 safety standards.
Salt Bae Wife
Salt Bae is quite popular and active on social media. However, he has kept his personal life away from the limelight. No information about his relationship status is available. He once posted an Instagram picture with 9 kids. It is reported that some of them or all might be his children. However, no authentic information about his personal life has surfaced. We will update it here soon.
He is also known for his philanthropic works. He has donated to charities including building a school in his hometown of Erzurum.
Salt Bae Height
Salt Bae stands at an average height. He has an athletic body build. He has an average body weight. He maintains his body perfectly well. His sexual orientation is straight. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. His hairstyle is long.
Salt Bae Net Worth
Salt Bae is one of a popular butcher, chef, and restaurateur. He is the owner of the chain of steak houses, Nusr-Et, which is expanded from middle-East to Europe and the United States. As of 2020, he owns 12 restaurants. He makes quite an income from his restaurateur business. His net worth is estimated at $60 million at present.
Trivias About Salt Bae You Need To Know.
- The dishes served at Gökçe's establishments have have been described as "overpriced".
- Early reviews by professionals of his restaurants were negative.
- The New York Post's Steve Cuozzo called the restaurant "Public Rip-off No. 1".
- In December 2017, he received criticism for a 2016 photo posing in front of an image of Fidel Castro.
- Gökçe was criticized by Marco Rubio and Miami city council in September 2018 after Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro dined at Gökçe's Istanbul restaurant, with Rubio calling Gökçe a "weirdo".