Sam Raimi - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Wife, Facts, Family, Awards, Height
Sam Raimi is an American filmmaker and actor who is best known for directing the "Spider-Man" trilogy (2002–2007) and the "Evil Dead" franchise (1981–present). Also, he is well-recognized for directing the 1990 superhero film "Darkman", the 1995 revisionist western "The Quick and the Dead", the 1998 neo-noir crime-thriller "A Simple Plan", the 2000 supernatural thriller film "The Gift", the 2009 supernatural horror film "Drag Me to Hell", and the 2013 Disney fantasy film "Oz the Great and Powerful". Likewise, he has produced "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" and its spin-off "Xena: Warrior Princess". His latest film, the Marvel Cinematic Universe film "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness", was released on May 6, 2022.
What is Sam Raimi Famous For?
- Being a filmmaker and actor.
- For directing the hit films; Spider-Man trilogy (2002-2007) and the Evil Dead franchise (1981-Present).
- His films are known for their ostentatious and highly-dynamic visual style, inspired by comic books and slapstick comedy.
Who are the Parents of Sam Raimi?
Sam Raimi took birth on 23rd October 1959 in Royal Oak, Michigan, the USA with the birth name of Samuel M. Raimi. He is the son of merchants Celia Barbara (née Abrams) and Leonard Ronald Raimi. His ancestors were Jewish immigrants from Russia and Hungary. He has four siblings. His younger brother Ted is an actor, and his older brother Ivan is a screenwriter and physician. His older sister, Andrea Raimi Rubin, is a court reporter. Another older brother, Sander, died at 15 in an accidental drowning; Raimi has said that the trauma knitted the remaining family closer together and "colored everything he's done for the rest of his life." Raimi also mentioned that Sander first introduced him to Spider-Man, igniting his love for comics. He is American by nationality and his ethnicity is Mixed as he is of Russian and Hungarian descent. He follows the Judaism religion and his horoscope sign is Scorpio. His present age is 62 as of 2021. Focusing on her education, he graduated from Groves High School and later went on to attend Michigan State University, where he studied English but left after three semesters to film The Evil Dead.
Sam Raimi Career Timeline
- Initially, Raimi started making 'Super 8' movies with his friend Bruce Campbell.
- They then went to shoot "Within the Woods" (1978), a 32-minute horror film that raised $375,000, as well as his debut feature film "It's Murder!".
- He also shot the seven-minute short film "Clockwork" (1978).
- Later, he produced the highly successful horror film "The Evil Dead" (1981) which became a cult hit and effectively launched Raimi's career.
- Next, his third film "Crimewave" was released in 1985.
- He returned to the horror genre with the seminal "Evil Dead II".
- He also wrote, "Easy Wheels" (1989).
- After a year, he created his own super-hero, "Darkman".
- He then produced "Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness".
- Then, he moved into other genres, directing such films as the western "The Quick and the Dead", "A Simple Plan", and "For Love of the Game" in his 1990s.
- He achieved great critical and commercial success with the blockbuster "Spider-Man" (2002). The movie grossed over US$800 million worldwide, spawning two sequels: Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3, both directed by Raimi and each grossing approximately $800 million.
- Also, he made cameo appearances in "Miller's Crossing", "The Hudsucker Proxy", and with Joel Coen in "Spies Like Us".
- He worked in front of the camera in "The Stand".
- He also produced the entire English-language "The Grudge franchise".
- On September 23, 2009, he became the producer for the British supernatural thriller "Refuge". Next, he produced "Burst 3D" with his company, Ghost House Pictures.
- He also directed "Oz the Great and Powerful" in 2013.
- By January 29, 2018, he was set to direct the first in the movie adaptations of Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle series, "The Name of the Wind".
- On 5th February 2020, it was announced that he was in talks with Marvel Studios to direct "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness", and Raimi confirmed his involvement in April 2020. The film was released on May 6, 2022.
- Also, he has worked in television by producing series such as Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and its spin-off Xena: Warrior Princess, American Gothic, Cleopatra 2525, M.A.N.T.I.S., 13: Fear Is Real, Young Hercules, and Jack of All Trades.
- He executive produced a syndicated TV series called "Legend of the Seeker" in 2008.
- He is also the executive producer of the Starz original television series "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" and "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena", "Spartacus: Vengeance" and "Spartacus: War of the Damned".
- Likewise, he directed the pilot episode of "Ash vs Evil Dead".
Awards and Achievements
- Sitges – Catalan International Film Festival Prize of the International Critics' Jury 1981
- Sitges – Catalan International Film Festival Best Director Award 1990
- Sitges – Catalan International Film Festival Time-Machine Honorary Award 1992
- Brussels International Festival of Fantasy Film Golden Raven Award 1993
- Fantasporto Critics' Award 1993
- Cognac Festival du Film Policier Special Jury Prize 1999
- Saturn Award Best Director Award 2004
- Empire Award Best Director Award 2004
- Inkpot Award 2014
Who is Sam Raimi married to?
Sam Raimi is a married man. He tied a knot with her beautiful spouse, Gillian Greene in the year 1993 and since then, they are living a happy life together. Gillian Greene is the daughter of actor, Lorne Greene. The duo is blessed with five children namely Emma, Lorne, Henry, Dashiell, and Schooley. Three of them (daughter Emma Rose and sons Lorne and Henry) appeared as extras in Drag Me to Hell, and in Spider-Man 3 during the movie's final battle. His sexual orientation is straight.
What is Sam Raimi Net Worth?
As of 2022, the net worth of Sam Raimi is estimated to have $70 million and he is making more than $5 Million annually. Today, he is living a lavish lifestyle from his earnings. His main source of income comes from film producing and screenwriting work. He has produced some successful hit films such as The Evil Dead series and the Spider-Man trilogy from which he came to huge fame.
How tall is Sam Raimi?
Sam Raimi is a cool and handsome man with a charming personality and a glowing face attracting a lot of people towards him. He has a tall standing height of 5 feet 8 inches or 1.80 m. His body weight consists of 83 KG or 183 lbs. His body type is average. His other body measurement is still to get disclosed yet. He has a pair of brown eyes and his hair color is dark brown. He has got a healthy body at present.