Facts About Sara Groenewegen
|28 Years Old
|Sara Angeline Groenewegen
|Place Of Birth
|White Rock, British Columbia
|Popular Canadian softball pitcher
|Elgin Park Secondary School
|University of Minnesota
|Selected in the 2017 NPF Draft
|1.74 m (5 ft 9 in)
|Source of Wealth
|Salary and prize money
|Around $1 million
Sara Angeline Groenewegen, professionally known as Sara Groenewegen is a Canadian softball pitcher. She pitched for the University of Minnesota where she holds the all-time strikeouts and strikeout ratio records. She was a collegiate All-American at the University of Minnesota and an all-star for National Pro Fastpitch. She also currently still ranks for both the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA Division I in the ratio category. She was drafted second overall in the 2017 NPF draft by the Akron Racers.
Groenewegen has been part of Canada women's national softball team since 2013 and led Canada to a gold medal at the 2015 Pan American Games. She also helped Canada to qualify for the 2020 Olympics.
What is Sara Groenewegen Famous For?
- Popular Canadian softball pitcher.
Where is Sara Groenewegen From?
Sara Groenewegen was born on 12 April 1995. Her birth name is Sara Angeline Groenewegen. Her birth place is in White Rock, British Columbia in Canada. She holds Canadian nationality. She wsa born to her father Arnie Groenewegen and her mother Reesa Groenewegen. She was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of nine. She comes from a softball family. She has two sisters. Her sister Leo played softball at Bradley in 2013 and 2014.
Regarding her educational background, she attended Elgin Park Secondary School. She graduated from high school in 2013. While in high school, she played for Junior Team Canada, Team British Columbia, the White Rock Renegades, and the Northwest Sidewinders prior to coming to Minnesota.
She was part of three national championship teams and three provincial championship teams.
After high school, she attended the University of Minnesota. She played for the Minnesota Golden Gophers from 2014 to 2017. As a freshman, she was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year and Pitcher of the Year. As a sophomore, she was named Big Ten Player of the Year and was named to second-team All American. She was named to First-team All-American in 2016. In her senior year, she was named Big Ten Pitcher of the Year and was named to First-Team All American.
Sara Groenewegen Career
- The Akron Racers drafted her in the first round of the 2017 NPF Draft.
- She was one of the league's top pitchers in her second season in the National Pro Fastpitch league.
- She earned All-NPF honors.
- She ended the 2019 season with a 1.52 ERA going 6-4 with 3 saves.
- She recorded 73.2 innings pitched and struck out 64 in 17 appearances. she also threw 4 complete games and 1 shut-out.
- Since 2013, she has been a member of the Canada women's national softball team.
- She represented team Canada at the 2013 ISF Junior Women's World Softball Championships.
- She then represented team Canada at the 2013 and 2014 World Cup of Softball.
- She also represented Team Canada at the 2014 Canadian Open and the 2014 ISF World Championships.
- She was a key member of Team Canada that won the gold medal at the 2015 Pan American Games.
- She became Canada's first pitcher to throw a perfect game in August 2019 versus Venezuela.
- She helped Team Canada to qualify for the 2020 Summer Olympics.
Who is Sara Groenewegen Husband?
Sara Groenewegen is not married. She is reportedly single. Not many details about her personal life are available at present. Any updates about her relationship and dating will be updated here.
She contracted legionnaires' disease in 2018. She nearly faced death and was put on life support. She was kept in a medically induced coma, hooked up to 15 tubes running into her body to keep her alive.
How Tall is Sara Groenewegen?
Sara Groenewegen stands at a height of 1.74 m i.e. 5 feet and 8 inches tall. She has an athletic body build. Her eye color is hazel and her hair color is blonde. Her sexual orientation is straight.
What is Sara Groenewegen Salary and Net Worth?
Sara Groenewegen earns from her professional career as a softball pitcher. She played college softball for the Minnesota Golden Gophers before being drafted second overall in the 2017 NPF Draft. She has been playing for Canadian Wild since 2019. Since 2013, she has been part of the Canadian national team. She earns well enough from her professional career. At present, her net worth is estimated at around $1 million.
Trivias About Sara Groenewegen You Need To Know.
- Her uncle Leo played 17 years in the Canadian Football league.
- She was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of nine.
- She played volleyball as well as basketball in high school.
- She is the first ever Gopher to be named a NFCA All-American three times.
- She was drafted second overall pick in the 2017 NPF Draft.
- She became a member of the Canada women's national softball team at the age of 17.
- She helped the Canada softball team to win a gold medal in 32 years.
- She is the youngest starting pitcher to win a gold medal.
- She contracted legionnaires' disease in 2018 and nearly faced death.