Facts About Shohei Ohtani
|Celebrated Name||Shohei Ohtani|
|Age||28 Years Old|
|Nick Name||Sho Time|
|Birth Name||Shohei Ohtani|
|Place Of Birth||Oshu, Iwate|
|High School||Hanamaki Higashi High School|
|Awards||WBSC Player of the Year and more|
|Girlfriend||Kamalani Dung (Rumored)|
|Net Worth||$5 Million - $10 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Baseball Career|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Current Team||Los Angeles Angels of Major League Baseball|
|Position||Pitcher, designated hitter and outfielder|
Shohei Ohtani nicknamed "Sho Time" is a Japanese professional baseball pitcher, designated hitter, and outfielder (position) from Oshu, Iwate who is playing for the current team, Los Angeles Angels of Major League Baseball (MLB) as well as he is a former player from Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters of the Nippon Professional Baseball. He was drafted in the first pick by Fighters in the 2012 draft. He played in NPB for the Fighters from 2013 through 2017 as a pitcher and an outfielder. He was also selected to Japan's Under-18 National Team that eventually finished in sixth place at the 18U Baseball World Championship in Seoul, Korea. He also holds a record of the fastest pitch by a Japanese pitcher at 165 Km/hr. He won the 2018 American League Rookie of the Year Award. Recently, Shohei Ohtani hit his third homer in as many games and fourth in five-off Cleveland's Zach Plesac in the first inning at Angel Stadium, sending it 440 feet to straightaway center at 111.9 mph. And he made the most of it, staring at the path of the ball as he walked up the first-base line. Despite this, the Angels fell to the Indians, 6-5.
- Being a Japanese professional baseballer.
- Being a pitcher, designated hitter, and outfielder for the team, Los Angeles Angels.
What is the Nationality of Shohei Ohtani?
Shohei Ohtani was born on 5th July 1994. His place of birth is Oshu, Iwate, Japan. He holds Japanese nationality and his ethnic background is East Asian. His race is White. He was born to his parents; father, Toru Otani, and his mother, Kayoko Otani. He grew up with his brother named Ryuta Otani. His Zodiac sign is Cancer and his religion is Christian. His present age is 26 as of 2020.
Focusing on his education, he went to attend Hanamaki Higashi High School in Iwate Prefecture where he began playing baseball. He pitched a 160 km/h (99 mph) fastball as an 18-year-old high school pitcher. He threw a pitch in the "Summer Koshien", a Japanese national high school baseball championship tournament. He recorded 16 strikeouts, 5 hits, 5 runs, 8 walks, and 4.35 eras in 10 1/3 innings pitched. Then, he received interest from numerous teams including the Texas Rangers, Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, and Los Angeles Dodgers. He then announced that he would pursue a career in Major League Baseball rather than turn professional in Japan on 21st October 2012.
How was the Career of Shohei Ohtani?
- Initially, Shohei Ohtani was drafted in the first pick of the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters in the 2012 draft and made his team debut in a season-opening game on 29th March 2013 at the age of eighteen, playing as a right fielder. Later, the Fighters used him as both a pitcher and a position player.
- For the 2013 season, he recorded 3-0 with a 4.23 ERA with 33 walks to 46 K in 61 2/3 IP and hit .238/.284/.376 in 204 plate appearances.
- In the 2014 season, he played both as a hitter and pitcher. As a hitter, Ohtani batted .274, 31 RBIs, and a .842 on-base plus percentage in 212 at-bats. And he was 11-4 with a 2.61 ERA in 24 starts and struck out 179 (third in NPB) in 155.1 innings as a pitcher.
- He threw a 162 km/h (101 mph) fastball in the bottom of the 1st inning, setting a new record for the fastest official pitch thrown by a Japanese pitcher during the July 2014 Mazda All-Star Game.
- In his 2015 season, he earned the starter role in the 2015 All-Star Game and the pitching spot in the end-of-year Pacific League Best Nine awards. He finished the season 15-5 with a 2.24 ERA, 196 strikeouts and only 100 hits in 160 2/3 IP.
- Ohtani had a breakout season as a hitter in his 2016 season as he hit 22 home runs in 104 games and 382 plate appearances. Likewise, he hit 18 doubles, 67 RBI, batted .322 with an OBP of .416, scored 65 runs, and had 7 stolen bases earning the Best Nine award as the designated hitter.
- He ended the 2016 season at .322/.416/.588 with 22 HR in 382 PA on offense and 10-4, 1.86 on the mound with 174 K in 140 IP. He also led Nippon Ham to the 2016 Japan Series but lost the opener to the Hiroshima Carp. He made the Best Nine as the top pitcher and top DH in the PL.
- During his 2017 season, he played in 65 games, hitting .332 with 8 homers and 31 RBIs while going 3-2, 3.20 with 29 strikeouts on the mound.
- Then, he signed a contract with Los Angeles Angels on 8th December 2018 for a $2.315 million bonus. On 13th December, it was revealed that Ohtani was diagnosed with a first-degree UCL sprain in his right elbow. He received a platelet-rich plasma injection to treat the injury.
- After his recovery, he played against Oakland Athletics as a designated hitter for the Angels on Opening Day.
- He debuted as a pitcher for the Angels on April 1 and striking out six batters in six innings and made his first MLB win.
- He recorded 12 total bases and five RBI with his first three games.
- Against Boston Red Sox on 18th April, he left after the second innings because of a blister in his middle finger of the right hand. The next day, he was placed on the disabled list for the first time in his MLB career due to a Grade 2 UCL sprain in his right elbow.
- He was activated from the disabled list as a hitter on July 2 and played against Seattle Mariners. On 3rd August, he hit two home runs against the Cleveland Indians, marking his first career multiple-home run game and his first two home runs in a road game.
- He ended his first major league season with a batting average of .285, and a .361 on-base percentage. He finished with 22 home runs, 10 stolen bases, and 61 RBIs winning the American League Rookie of the Month award twice; in April and in September.
- ESPN announced on 3rd September 2018 stating that the doctors recommended Ohtani to undergo Tommy John surgery after an MRI showed new damage to his UCL. On 1st October, Angels general manager Billy Eppler announced that Ohtani underwent successful Tommy John surgery.
- After then, he played in his first game with the Angels after undergoing Tommy John surgery against Detroit Tigers on 7th May 2019.
- His 2019 season prematurely ended after it was revealed that he needed surgery to repair a bipartite patella.
- He finished the 2018 season batting .286/.343/.505 with 18 home runs, 62 RBIs, and 12 stolen bases in 106 games & finished his 2020 season batting .190/.291/.366 with 7 home runs, 24 RBIs, and 7 stolen bases in 43 games.
- He agreed to a two-year $8.5 million contract with the Angels, avoiding arbitration on 8th February 2021.
- Against the Chicago White Sox on Sunday Night Baseball on April 4, 2021, he threw 4+2⁄3 innings, allowing one earned run and two unearned runs.
- He made his second start of the season on 20th April 2021 against the Texas Rangers and his third start on 26th April with the same team. He pitched 5 innings, allowing 4 runs in the first inning and striking out 9 becoming the first player in nearly 100 years to start a game on the mound while also entering the day leading the Majors in home runs.
- Shohei Ohtani was selected to Japan's Under-18 National Team that eventually finished in sixth place at the 18U Baseball World Championship in Seoul, Korea.
- He also earned a bronze medal with the Samurai Japan National Baseball Team in the 2015 Premier12.
- He was on the 28-man roster for the Japan National Baseball Team of the 2017 World Baseball Classic but was forced to withdraw due to an ankle injury.
Awards and Achievements
- Japan Series champion (2016)
- 5× NPB All-Star (2013-2017)
- Pacific League MVP (2016)
- 2× Pacific League Pitcher Best Nine (2015-2016)
- Designated Hitter Best Nine (2016)
- Pacific League ERA leader (2015)
- Pacific League Battery Award, with Shota Ono (2015)
- 2x Japan Professional Sports Grand Prize (2016) (2018)
- WBSC Player of the Year (2015)
- AL Rookie of the Year (2018)
- Hit for the cycle on June 13, 2019
Who is Shohei Ohtani Dating?
Shohei Ohtani is not dating anyone and he is currently single. Back then, he was linked to Kamalani Dung, a professional pitcher, and sports marketer. The duo was linked to be dating following the two who appeared in one of the pictures together. Some fans speculated Kamalani Dung and Shohei Ohtani had a thing, but that's not true at all as Dung is in a blissful relationship with her boyfriend of over eight years. After that, he has not been caught dating anyone. He is focusing on his career as of now. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
How much is Shohei Ohtani Net Worth?
Professional baseball player, Shohei Ohtani's net worth is estimated to have between $5 Million - $10 Million as of 2021 which he mostly earned through his baseball career which is his major source of wealth. Recently, in February 2021, he signed a two-year, $8.5 million contract with the Los Angeles Angels. His salary in 2021 is $3 million and will earn $5.5 million in 2022. Back then, he signed a 1 year -$650,000 contract with the Los Angeles Angels in the year 2019, including $650,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $650,000. Previously, he played for Nippon Ham Fighters in Japan in 2017 where his salary was about ¥270 million. What's more, he earns about $3-$4 million from the bonus through the seasons. As of December 2014, he became the 2nd player out of high school in NPB history to reach 100M yen in salary in his third year, after Daisuke Matsuzaka in 2001. His new contract more than tripled his previous salary estimated at 30M yen. He is living a lavish lifestyle as of today.
How tall is Shohei Ohtani?
Shohei Ohtani is a very handsome man with a white skin tone. He has a very glowing face with a charming smile on his care. He stands tall at the height of six feet and four inches. Her balanced weight consists of 92 KG. His hair color is black and his eye color is also the same i.e black. His other body measurements have not been disclosed yet. Overall, he has got a healthy body as of now and he frequently does exercise.
Trivias About Shohei Ohtani You Need To Know.
- Shohei Ohtani is a former player from Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters of the Nippon Professional Baseball.
- He was drafted in the first pick by Fighters in the 2012 draft.
- He was also selected to Japan's Under-18 National Team that eventually finished in sixth place at the 18U Baseball World Championship in Seoul, Korea.
- He holds a record of the fastest pitch by a Japanese pitcher at 165 Km/hr.
- He won the 2018 American League Rookie of the Year Award.
- His ethnic background is East Asian.