Last updated on November 11th, 2019 at 08:43 pm
Facts About Sonny Bill Williams
|Sonny Bill Williams
|37 Years Old
|Sonny Bill Williams
|Place Of Birth
|Best Known For
|Rugby League Footballer playing for the Toronto Wolfpack.
|Niall and Denise
|John Arthur Williams
|Owairaka School, Wesley Intermediate and Mount Albert Grammar School
|Imman and Aisha
Sonny Bill Williams is a popular New Zealand professional rugby league footballer who currently plays as a second-row forward for the Toronto Wolfpack in the Betfred Super League. He also plays for his country New Zealand at international level. Williams is a former professional rugby union footballer and heavyweight boxer who was formerly the "New Zealand Professional Boxing Association(NZPBA) Heavyweight Champion" and "World Boxing Association (WBA) International Heavyweight Champion". Williams is one of the only 20 players to have won multiple Rugby World Cups.
What is Sonny Bill Williams Famous for?
- Famous as the rugby league footballer playing for the Toronto Wolfpack in the Betfred Super League.
Where is Sonny Bill Williams From?
Sonny Bill Williams was born on August 3, 1985, in Auckland, New Zealand. His birth name is Sonny William Williams. His nationality is New Zealander. Williams belongs to White ethnicity while Leo is his zodiac sign.
Williams was born in a working-class family to John Williams(father) and Lee Williams(mother). His father, John Williams was an accomplished rugby league player however, he was first introduced to the rugby by his mother.
Williams was raised along with his three siblings: twins sisters, Niall and Denise and an older brother, John Arthur Williams. His sister, Niall is a New Zealand rugby sevens player and former New Zealand international touch football captain while his brother, John played rugby league in New South Wales Cup and Queensland Cup previously.
Williams had a poor financial background as he started playing rugby only to buy a house for his mother. Williams attended three different schools: Owairaka School, Wesley Intermediate and Mount Albert Grammar School. Williams was a small, skinny, painfully shy kid who was a competitive sprinter, a champion high jumper and crosses country runner as well.
He was a freakish sporting talented child but he abandoned playing athletes when he was 12. Williams was first spotted while he was playing for the junior team of Mount Albert-based rugby league club, "The Marist Saints" by former rugby league footballer John Ackland.
Williams was first introduced to Canterbury Bulldogs where he started playing in the Bulldogs' junior grade and in 2002, he became the youngest player to ever sign with an NRL club. Williams soon became the starting player in the forward pack for the Bulldogs' Jersey Flegg Cups and in the Premier League side.
Sonny Bill Williams Career Highlights
- In 2004, Williams made his NRL debut for the Bulldogs against the Parramatta Eels.
- On April 23, 2004, he made his debut for the Kiwis as their youngest-ever Test player in the 2004 ANZAC Test against Australia.
- Williams received the "2004 RLIF Awards' International Newcomer of the Year Award" and was named the "Rugby League World magazine's 2004 World XIII".
- Williams was victimized throughout the 2005 season and in 2007 season, he became the first player of the 21st century to be sent off in a first-round game.
- In July 2008, Williams left Australia to join the French rugby union club, "Toulon".
- On May 27, 2009, Williams made his debut as a professional boxer with a TKO win against Garry Gurr.
- On October 17, 2010, he was named in the New Zealand National Rugby Union Team (All Blacks).
- On November 6, 2010, he made his debut for All Blacks against England and on November 13, Williams won the "Man of the Match Award" in his second game for All Blacks against Scotland.
- On March 4, 2011, he made his Super Rugby debut with the ‘Crusaders.’
- Williams played for New Zealand and helped to win the "2011 Rugby World Cup". He made a new Rugby World Cup record by scoring three tries as a substitute player.
- Williams played in the 2012 Super Rugby for Chiefs and became the 4th player to win both the NRL and Super Rugby titles.
- On February 8, 2012, Williams won a fight against Clarence Tillman III thus holding the vacant "NZPBA" Heavyweight Championship.
- On November 13, 2012, Williams started to return back to the rugby league after signing a one-year deal with the Sydney Roosters for the 2013 NRL season.
- On February 8, 2013, Williams faced Francois Botha and won the vacant WBA’ International Heavyweight title.
- On March 7, 2013, Williams made his debut for the Roosters scoring his first try for his new club.
- Williams was awarded the Rugby League International Federation's 'International Player of the Year award for 2013.
- On August 30, 2015, he was named in New Zealand’s squad for the "2015 World Cup" and with his impressive performance, New Zealand defeated Australia in the finals winning the "World Cup 2015".
- On July 3, 2016, he was selected in New Zealand's squad for the "2016 Summer Olympics" held in Brazil.
- In 2017, Williams was part of the Blues super rugby squad. He returned to the All Blacks against Samoa at Eden Park the same year.
- On November 7, 2019, Williams signed a two- year deal with Toronto Wolfpack.
Who is Sonny Bill Williams Married to?
Sonny Bill Williams is currently married to his beautiful wife, Alana Raffie. Raffie is a South African model and a professional dancer. Sonny and Alana got married after dating for almost 6 months in a secret ceremony in August 2013. Their relationship came out to the public through social media in 2014 until then they kept it a secret.
The couple shares three children together: two daughters: Imman and Aisha and a son named Zaid. Currently, Williams is living a happy life with his wife and children. Besides, Williams turned Islam in 2009 while he was in France playing for Toulon. He is also the first Muslim to play for the "All Blacks".
What is the net worth of Sonny Bill Williams?
Sonny Bill Williams has quite a great earning through his professional career as a rugby player and boxer. Williams has managed to amass a fortune worth million dollars through his several contract deals, salaries, and endorsement deals. His current estimated net worth is $15 million.
Williams previously signed a five-year deal worth $2.5 million with Bulldogs. Recently, on November 7, 2019, after signing with Toronto Wolfpack with a contract worth $10 million, Williams became the highest-paid and richest Rugby player.
Williams also adds few more dollars to his fortune through several endorsement deals including "Adidas", "Just Jeans", "BMW", "Powerade" and "Rebel Sport". With all the fortune worth million dollars, Willilams has managed to live a lavish and luxurious lifestyle.
How Tall is Sonny Bill Williams?
The 34 years old rugby player, Sonny Bill Williams has a well maintained athletic body physique. Williams is a huge man with a lot of tattoos on his body. Williams stands tall with a height of 6ft. 4inch.(1.94m) while his body weighs around 108kg(238 lbs). He has a fair complexion with black hair and black eyes.