Steve Wright - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Facts, Career, Age, Height, Job
Steve Wright is an English radio personality and DJ. He is most famous as the host of the Sunday Love Songs weekend mid-morning show on BBC Radio 2. He also presents his weekday mid-afternoon show, Steve Wright in the Afternoon. He has also presented several shows on BBC Television. For his service, he has been honored with numerous accolades including the TRIC Personality of the Year in 1998.
What is Steve Wright Famous For?
- Host of BBC Radio 2 shows.
Where is Steve Wright From?
Steve Wright was born on 26 August 1954. His birth name is Stephen Richard Wright. His birth place is in Greenwich, London in England. He holds English nationality. His father was Richard Wright. He has a younger brother named Laurence. His hometown is New Cross. He belongs to the white ethnicity and his religion is Christianity.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Eastwood High School for Boys.
Steve Wright Career
- Steve Wright's childhood ambition was to work in the entertainment industry.
- He occasionally broadcasted a nascent radio show over the school speaker system from the school stock cupboard.
- He joined the BBC staff as a returns clerk in the Gramophone Library in Egton House, opposite Broadcasting House in the early 1970s.
- He left in 1976 to start his broadcasting career at Thames Valley Radio 210 in Reading, Berkshire.
- He got his big break in 1979 when he presented his own nightly show, a Saturday evening show on Radio Luxembourg. He later presented a Saturday morning show as well.
- He joined BBC Radio 1 in 1980. He initially took over a Saturday evening slot and moved to Saturday mornings later that year.
- He moved to daytime radio with Steve Wright in the Afternoon in 1981.
- He took over a Sunday morning show, Steve Wright on Sunday in 1984.
- His Sunday morning show ended in 1986.
- The original incarnation of Steve Wright in the Afternoon ran from 1981 to 1993 on BBC Radio 1.
- The show became known in its Radio 1 incarnation for its cast of telephone characters created and performed by Gavin McCoy, Peter Dickson, Richard Easter, and Phil Cornwell.
- Wright and his Posse moved to The Radio 1 Breakfast Show in 1994.
- He resigned from the Breakfast Show in 1995 due to differences with the BBC Radio management.
- He was then picked up by the new station, Talk Radio in 1995. He presented a Saturday morning show.
- He presented various syndicated shows on Sunday mornings on a number of other British commercial stations.
- He joined BBC Radio 2 in March 1996.
- He presented the BBC Radio 2 show, Steve Wright's Saturday Show from 1996 to 1999.
- He started presenting Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs in 1996.
- He started presenting Steve Wright in the Afternoon in 1999.
- He joined the BBC World Service on 5th January 1999.
- He began by presenting an hour programme, Wright Around The World.
- Outside of radio, he has presented several TV series on BBC.
- He presented a tv show, The Steve Wright People Show from 1994 to 1995.
- Between 1997 and 2009, he worked as the narrator and writer of the retro pop show, Top of the Pops 2.
- The show ran until October 2003.
- He announced on 1 July 2022 that he would be leaving his show, Steve Wright in the Afternoon. Scott Mills would be taking over the show from October.
- However, he will remain on Radio 2 to continue hosting his other shows including Sunday Love Songs.
What is Steve Wright Wife?
There is very little information about Steve Wright's personal life. He was previously married to Cyndi Robinson. They were married from 1985 until their divorce in 1999 and shared two children together, Lucy and Tom.
What is Steve Wright Height?
Steve Wright stands at the height of 1.8 m i.e. 5 ft and 10 in tall. He has an average body build. His eye color is blue and his hair color is black.
His sexual orientation is straight.
What is Steve Wright Salary and Net Worth?
Steve Wright is a popular radio personality. He has been in the radio broadcasting industry for over five decades, the majority of it in BBC Radio 1 and 2. He has hosted numerous radio shows. He was paid around £440,000 in annual salary at Radio 2. His net worth is estimated at around $6 million.
Trivias About Steve Wright You Need To Know.
- His father was a tailor and the manager of Burton's store in Trafalgar Square.
- Growing up, he was a quiet child.
- He introduced the zoo format to the UK.
- The Smiths' 1986 hit single "Panic" was inspired by Wright playing "I'm Your Man" by Wham! following a news report about the Chernobyl nuclear disaster on his show.
- Smash Hits and the Daily Mirror Readers Poll voted him Best DJ of the Year in 1994.
- He is allergic to feathers and penicillin.