Sushil Kumar - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Family, Age, Facts, Awards, Wiki
Sushil Kumar Solanki is a former Indian wrestler who is professionally known as Sushil Kumar. He gained fame after winning four gold medals at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships from 2003 to 2009. He took home silver in the 66-kilogram weight class at the Summer Olympics in 2012 and carried the Indian flag at the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics. He was inspired to take up wrestling by his father, himself a wrestler, and his cousin Sandeep. Sushil started his training at age 14 and first broke onto the wrestling scene by winning gold at the World Cadet Games in 1998. He is the winner of the gold medal in the 74 kg division at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. Besides, Sushil also appeared on the reality series "Roadies 9" in 2012. He was also seen in the TV shows, "The Kapil Sharma Show" and "Comedy Nights with Kapil". Moreover, he starred in the Indian documentary film "Carve Your Destiny" by Anubhav Srivastava.
Sushil Kumar Famous For
- He is a former Indian wrestler.
- He won four gold medals at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships from 2003 to 2009.
Early life, Parents & State
Sushil Kumar stepped into the world for the very first time on 26th May 1983 in Delhi, India. He was born with the real name of Sushil Kumar Solanki in a Hindu religious family. He is Indian by nationality and Asian by ethnicity. Sushil's present age is 39 which he celebrated recently in 2022 and as per his birthdate, his zodiac sign is Gemini. Thus, his race is black. His father, Diwan Singh, was a driver in MTNL Delhi, while his mother, Kamla Devi, is a housewife.
Regarding Kumar's education, he completed his Graduation (B.P.E.) and Post-Graduation (M.P.E.) from Noida College of Physical Education, Dadri.
Sushil Kumar career (Indian Wrestling)
- Sushil Kumar conceived his wrestling career at the World Cadet Games in 1998 where he won the gold medal in his weight category, followed by a gold at the Asian Junior Wrestling Championship in 2000.
- He then won the bronze medal at the Asian Wrestling Championships and a gold at the Commonwealth Wrestling Championships. Kumar placed fourth at the 2003 World Championships.
- However, this went largely unnoticed by the Indian media as he fared badly in the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, placing 14th in the 60 kg weight class.
- In 2005 and 2007, he won gold medals at the Commonwealth wrestling championships and placed seventh in the 2007 World Championships, and won a bronze medal at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.
- He also won a silver medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics and becomes the first person to win two Olympic medals for independent India.
- But, he lost to Andriy Stadnik in the first round of the 66 kg freestyle wrestling event after which he defeated Doug Schwab in the first repechage round and Albert Batyrov in the second round.
- Kumar beat Leonid Spiridonov 3:1 in the bronze medal match on 20th August 2008 and became the first Indian to win a world title in wrestling at the 2010 World Wrestling Championships as well as he beat the local favorite Alan Gogaev of Russia 3-1 in the finals in the 66 kg category.
- Also, he won a gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games which were held in Delhi on 10th October 2010. He beat Heinrich Barnes 7-0 in the finals in the 66 kg freestyle wrestling category.
- In the 2012 London Olympics, he won a silver medal after losing the final to Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu and had entered the final amid some controversy by beating Kazakhastan's Akzhurek Tanatarov in the semifinal.
- He was the Olympic flag bearer for India at the opening ceremony which wins made him the first Indian to win 2 individual Olympic Medals since India's Independence.
- Subsequently, he defeated Qamar Abbas in the 74 kg final to win the gold medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, and won in 107 seconds by fall.
- On 12th April 2018, Sushil won gold in the 74 kg category beating South Africa’s Johannes Botha in the final that lasted 80 seconds thus achieving the feat of winning 3 gold medals in 3 consecutive Commonwealth Games.
- Apart from wrestling, he appeared on the reality series "Roadies 9" in 2012.
- He was also seen in the TV shows, "The Kapil Sharma Show" and "Comedy Nights with Kapil" as well as starred in the Indian documentary film "Carve Your Destiny" by Anubhav Srivastava.
Awards and Achievements
- Arjuna Award, 2005
- Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna award (joint), India's highest sporting honor.
- Padma Shri, 2011
For the bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics
- ₹5.5 million (US$69,000) cash award and promotion to Assistant Commercial Manager from chief ticketing inspector by Railway Ministry (his employer)
- ₹5 million (US$63,000) cash award from the Delhi Government.
- ₹2.5 million (US$31,000) award by the Haryana Government.
For the gold medal at the 2010 World Wrestling Championships
- ₹1 million (US$13,000) cash award from Indian Railways (his employer) & out-of-turn promotion from his current position of Asst. Commercial Manager.
- ₹1 million (US$13,000) cash award from the Sports Authority of India, (Government of India).
- ₹1 million (US$13,000) cash award from the Delhi Government
For the silver medal at the 2012 London Olympics
- ₹20 million (US$250,000) cash reward from the Delhi Government
- ₹15 million (US$190,000) cash reward from the Haryana Government
- ₹7.5 million (US$94,000) cash reward from the Indian Railway
Who is Sushil Kumar's Wife?
Sushil Kumar is a married wrestler. He exchanged vows with an Indian former national Tennis player, Savi Kumar. They both seem extremely happy in their domestic life. Savi's supportive of him and the profession that he is in. There's much love between the two. The couple is also the blessed parents of twin children named Suvarn and Suveer who were born on 5th January 2014. Reflecting on Sushil's sexual orientation, he is straight.
Sushil Kumar got arrested in connection with the murder of former junior national wrestling champion Sagar Dhankhar during a brawl in the Chhatrasal Stadium on 4th May 2021. Delhi Police presented him in Rohini court and the court ordered a six-day remand of Kumar to Delhi police. Judge ordered Kumar to continue to be held without bail in October 2021 and the decision was reached after arguments from both sides, and a review of evidence from the prosecution, including a video taken by an alleged accomplice of a man purported to be Sushil engaged in the attack.
What is Sushil Kumar's net worth?
Sushil Kumar has a net worth of $5 million as of 2022 whereas he earns a fine amount of salary which is around Rs 4 crore per year. He also endorses brands such as Mountain Dew, Eicher tractors, and the National Egg Coordination Committee which earns him Rs 10 million(US$130,000) annually. However, Sushil refused the offer of Rs 5 million (US$63,000) to appear in a surrogate ad for a leading liquor brand. He has the access to all the world's luxury and comfort. In addition, his major source of income is his wrestling career.
How tall is Sushil Kumar?
Sushil Kumar is 166 cm (5 ft 5 in) tall and his body weighs around 70 kg or 154.5 lbs. He has good-looking black hair and dark brown eyes color. Moreover, his body build type is athletic. The image of this shirtless wrestler who looks super hot flaunting his body is available everywhere on the internet. He is a strict vegetarian.
Trivias About Sushil Kumar You Need To Know.
- He began his training at age 14 and first broke onto the wrestling scene by winning gold at the World Cadet Games in 1998.
- He appeared on the reality series "Roadies 9" in 2012.
- His father was a bus driver who also wrestled.
- In 2012, he took home silver in the 66 kilogram weight class at the Summer Olympics.
- Sushil won the gold medal in the 74 kg division at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.