Sylvester Turner - Bio, Net Worth, Mayor Of Houston, Tony Buzbee, Election, Married, Wife, Cheryl, Kids, Gay, Career, Height, Parent, Age, Facts, Wiki
An American attorney and politician is named for Sylvester Turner. Moreover, he is the 62nd mayor of Houston, Texas. He was a member of the Texas House of Representatives from 1989 until 2016. His political party is the Democratic Party. In the year 1991, he ran for mayor of Houston where he lost to Bob Lanier. He won the 2015 election defeating Bill King in the runoff by 4,082 votes out of 212,696 votes cast in the closest mayoral election in Houston history by percentage. Overall, he is a very talented politician.
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and Tony Buzbee headed to the runoff election
Election results show Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and challenger Tony Buzbee will head to a runoff in December. A last-minute change by the Texas Secretary of State's Office delayed the results of the election until early Wednesday morning when it became clear Buzbee had managed to keep the mayor from winning re-election outright. Turner needed to win 50 percent plus one vote to avoid a runoff. As of 7 a.m., he had 47 percent of the vote to challenger Tony Buzbee's 28 percent. Earlier Tuesday, Turner said the numbers were a positive sign he can win re-election and credited taking decisive action and a strong economy for helping him lead the vote. "I've had 10 million-plus dollars in negative ads spent against us, and yet the voters pretty much rejected that, which is good for our city," Turner said.
Which University did Sylvester Turner attend? (Early Life)
Sylvester Turner was born on 27th September 1954. His birthplace is in Houston, Texas, the USA. As of 2019, he celebrated his 65th birthday with his friends. He was the sixth of nine children and was raised in the Acres Homes community in northwest Houston by his father, a commercial painter, and his mother, a maid at the Rice Hotel. He belongs to American nationality and his ethnicity is Black. His horoscope sign is Virgo and he is Christian by religion. He was senior class president and valedictorian at Klein High School and he was Speaker of the Student Senate at the University of Houston. He graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. degree in political science. He was a finalist in the Ames Moot Court Competition while obtaining a J.D. degree from Harvard Law School. He is a member of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity. There is no information regarding the names of his parents but it will be added soon once we get details about it.
How tall is Sylvester Turner?
Sylvester Turner, at the age of sixty-five, looks very young and handsome with a charming smile and glowing face attracting a lot of people towards him. He has got a great personality with a cool attitude. He also has got an average height with perfect matching body weight. But the details regarding his height, weight, and other body measurements are sill to get disclosed. It has not been published by any internet websites yet. His hair color is bald and his eye color is dark brown. Overall, he has got a healthy body. He maintains his body by doing frequent exercises.
How Sylvester Turner pursues his Career?
- Sylvester Turner ran for Harris County Commissioner, Precinct 1 in the Democratic primary in the year 1984 but lost to El Franco Lee.
- He then elected to the Texas House of Representatives in House District 139 after four years in Harris County and remained in office through 2014.
- But he ran unsuccessfully for mayor of Houston in 1991 and 2003.
- Wayne Dolcefino of Channel 13 ran an investigative report questioning his involvement in an elaborate insurance fraud scam during his 1991 campaign for Houston mayor.
- He then sued Dolcefino and KTRK and was initially awarded a $5.5 million libel settlement that was reduced to $3.25 million by the presiding judge.
- He served more than 25 years in the Texas House of Representatives.
- Over the course of his service, he served as a member of the Legislative Budget Board, Vice-Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, Chairman of the Subcommittee of Articles 1, 4 & 5 (General Government, Judiciary, Public Safety & Criminal Justice) and the House State Affairs Committee.
- He has chaired the Texas Legislative Black Caucus and the Greater Houston Area Legislative Delegation.
- He has also supported policies to attract doctors to underserved areas, proposed a measure increasing state funding for mental health services in Harris County from $32 million to $200 million, and worked to increase funds for legal aid for poor Texans.
- Moreover, he voiced his support for laws regulating Uber and other ridesharing services to protect public safety.
- He was named one of the top 10 best members of the Texas House on LGBT issues by Equality Texas with an "A+" rating after he said he had "evolved" on LGBT issues. It was in the year 2015.
- Sylvester who ran against Bill King in the 2015 Houston mayoral runoff election, stated he is "100 percent" committed to reenacting Houston Equal Rights Ordinance (HERO) and attacked Bill King for saying he won't revisit the issue of HERO, along with his support from the Campaign for Houston.
Who is Sylvester Turner's wife?
Sylvester's fans must be waiting to know the personal life of him. Here, we have disclosed all the information about his private life. Firstly, his marital status is married. He was married to his beautiful wife, Cheryl Turner in the year 1983. The couple was also the proud parents of a daughter named Ashley Paige Turner. Later, in 1991, the couple divorced due to some misunderstanding between them. At present, he is living a single life happily without any disturbances. There is no rumors about him dating anyone after divorce. His sexual orientation is gay.
What is the Net Worth of Sylvester Turner?
The net worth of this politician is increasing day by day. He is a very hard working person and sincere towards his work. According to the sources, his net worth is estimated to have between $1 Million to $5 Million as of 2019. But his exact salary is under review. There is no doubt in the mind of his follower that he is making a considerable amount of salary from his work. His major source of earning is from his political career. There are no details about his cars and lifestyle at present. He has achieved great heights in his career life. He made all that wealth on his own with his dedication. He earned it all by himself and he deserves all of it.
Trivias About Sylvester Turner You Need To Know.
- Sylvester Turner is the 62nd mayor of Houston, Texas.
- He was a member of the Texas House of Representatives from 1989 until 2016.
- His politcal Party is Democratic Party.
- He graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. degree in political science. He was a finalist in the Ames Moot Court Competition while obtaining a J.D. degree from Harvard Law School.
- He is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity.