Last updated on August 5th, 2023 at 12:50 pm
Facts About Tina Turner
|Celebrated Name||Tina Turner|
|Age||83 Years Old|
|Nick Name||Anna Mae Turner, Tina Turner, Tina Turner Bach, The Burner, The Queen of Rock and Roll|
|Birth Name||Anna Mae Bullock|
|Profession||Singer , Songwriter , Dancer|
|Birth Nation||United States|
|Place Of Birth||Nutbush|
|School||Flagg Grove Elementary School|
|High School||Summer High School|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Spouse||Second Husband - Erwin Bach, First husband - Ike Turner (dies at 2007)|
|Children||Ronald Turner and Raymond Craig|
|Net Worth||$250 Million|
|Links||Instagram Facebook Twitter Wikipedia|
|Date of Died||May 24, 2023|
Tina Turner is an American-born Swiss retired singer-songwriter,dancer, author, and actress who is known as the "Queen of Rock 'n' Roll". Tina came to huge fame as the lead singer of the Ike & Tina Turner Revue before launching a successful career as a solo performer. She began her career with Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm in 1957. She appeared on her first record, "Boxtop", in 1958 under the name "Little Ann".
Tina Turner has released multiple albums and tracks like Tina Turns the Country On!, Love Explosion, Private Dancer, Wildest Dreams, Twenty-Four Seven, Foreign Affair, Break Every Rule, What’s Love Got to Do with It, Sometimes When We Touch, Acid Queen When the Heartache Is Over, and I Don’t Wanna Fight. Having sold over 100 million records worldwide, Turner is one of the best-selling recording artists of all time.
Tina became the first black artist and first female to cover Rolling Stone and has received 12 Grammy Awards, which include eight competitive awards, three Grammy Hall of Fame awards, and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. She has also acted in the films Tommy (1975), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985), and Last Action Hero (1993). In 1993, What's Love Got to Do with It, a biographical film adapted from her autobiography I, Tina: My Life Story, was released.
Author, Tina's first book "I, Tina: My Life Story" was published in 1986. Her second memoir, "My Love Story: A Memor", was released in October 2018. In 2020, she released her third book "Happiness Becomes You: A Guide to Changing Your Life for Good".
What was Tina Turner's cause of death?
'Queen of rock 'n' roll' Tina Turner dies at 83. She died after a long illness in her home in Küsnacht near Zurich, Switzerland. The statement from her publicist did not specify what Turner's cause of death was, but it did state that she died of a "long illness."
Tina Turner Background
Tina Turner was born on 26th November 1939 with the birth name of Anna Mae Bullock. She was born and raised in Nutbush, Tennessee, United States. She is the daughter of her father, Richard Bullock, and her mother, Zelma Priscilla. Her dad is a sharecropper on Poindexter farm and her mother is a housewife. had two older sisters, Evelyn Juanita Currie and Ruby Alline Bullock, a songwriter.
As young children, the three sisters were separated when their parents relocated to Knoxville, Tennessee, to work at a defense facility during World War II. After the war, the sisters reunited with their parents and moved with them to Knoxville. In 1952, her mother left the family, and her father married another woman and moved to Detroit. She is also the first cousin once removed of bluesman Eugene Bridges.
Tina holds American-Swiss nationality and her ethnicity is African-American. When she participated in the PBS series African American Lives 2 with Dr. Henry Louis Gates, he shared her genealogical DNA test estimates, which were predominantly African, approximately 33% European, and only 1% Native American. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. She was raised as a Baptist, but she later converted to Buddhism. She celebrated her 83rd birthday in 2022.
As a young girl, she sang in the church choir at Nutbush's Spring Hill Baptist Church. As a teenager, she worked as a domestic worker for the Henderson family. Tina attended Flagg Grove Elementary School in Nutbush from the first to the eighth standard. She graduated from Sumner High School in St. Louis, Missouri in 1958. After her graduation, she worked as a nurse's aide at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
Tina Turner Music Career - Swiss Singer
- Tina Turner, with her sister, used to visit nightclubs frequently in St. Louis and at Club Manhattan. There, she met Ike Turner. Ike recognized her talent and gave her a chance to record with him as a background singer in 1958.
- Her first recording was in 1958 under the name Little Ann on the single "Boxtop". She is credited as a vocalist on the record alongside Ike and fellow Kings of Rhythm singer Carlson Oliver.
- In 1960, Turner wrote and sang "A Fool in Love". Ike then decided to use her to record a demo with the intention of erasing her vocals and adding Lassiter's at a later date. The recording was later sent to Juggy Murray, president of Sue Records. Ike was paid a huge sum of money for the recording and publishing rights of the song.
- Bullock was introduced to the public as Tina Turner with the single "A Fool in Love" in July 1960. The song reached number 2 on the Hot R&B Sides. Another single from Ike and Tina, "It's Gonna Work Out Fine", reached No. 14 on the Hot 100 and No. 2 on the R&B chart in 1961, earning them a Grammy nomination for Best Rock and Roll Performance.
- The duo became popular and went on to sign with Loma Records in the year of 1965, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Records. They gave live performances all over the United States and performed in shows like, "Hollywood A Go-Go, etc.
- In 1965, she recorded the song "River Deep - Mountain High" produced under the Phillies record label which became very hit and she was given an opportunity for the Rolling Stones. Then, she signed with Liberty Records in the year 1970 and came out with two albums, "Come Together" and "Workin' Together" with Ike.
- In 1974, she released her first solo album "Tina Turns the Country On!" with the help of Bolic Sound Studios. The album fetched her Grammy nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.
- Together, Tina and Ike started to make more music and they made a venture into gospel music and released "The Gospel According to Ike & Tine" which became very hit.
- From 1975 to 1978, she went through a tough period because her marriage with Ike was crumbling down as he was a raging alcoholic and cocaine addict. It affected their professional association and made Turner stop performing with him.
- Turner then tried renewing her career with her cabaret-style performances in Vegas with the help of United Artists Records in 1978.
- During that time, she also started appearing on the shows like, "The Hollywood Squares", "Donny and Marie", etc.
- In 1978, her third album "Rough" was released under the same record label which was followed by "Love Explosion". In 1984, she released "Private Dancer", which is considered to be her comeback album, selling about 20 million copies worldwide. The hit single from the album "What’s Love Got to Do With It" earned her a Grammy Award.
- Turner then appeared in the movie "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in 1985. The movie was a huge success and her acting skills were honored with the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress.
- In 1986, she released another hit album "Break Every Rule", which ended up selling four million copies worldwide. She made history by performing with Paul McCartney in front of the largest paying audience in Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro in the year 1988. Also, she earned a Guinness World Record for it.
- In 1991, she signed the rights for the production of the movie "What’s Love Got to Do with It", based on her and Ike’s relationship.
- She also worked for the James Bond movie, "GoldenEye" in 1995. During 1999-2000, she appeared on the VH-1 special "Divas Live '99" and released "Twenty Four Seven".
- In 2002, she was honored by the Kennedy Center Honors and was appreciated by President George W. Bush. In 2008, she performed with Beyonce at the Grammy Awards and won a Grammy as a featured artist on River: "The Joni Letters".
- In addition, she attended the Giorgio Armani show in Beijing in 2012. After a year, she appeared on the cover of the German issue of Vogue magazine.
- She also received the 2018 Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Turner announced in December 2016 that she had been working on "Tina", a musical based on her life story, in collaboration with Phyllida Lloyd and Stage Entertainment. The show opened at the Aldwych Theatre in London in April 2018 with Adrienne Warren in the lead role. Adrienne also reprised her role on Broadway in the fall of 2019.
- In 2020, she came out of retirement to collaborate with Norwegian producer Kygo on a remix of "What's Love Got to Do with It".
- She was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist accepting her award via satellite from her home in Zurich, Switzerland in November 2021.
Tina Turner Awards and Achievements
- Holds a Guinness World Record for the largest paying audience (180,000 in 1988) for a solo performer
- First artist to have a top 40 hit in seven consecutive decades; she has a total of 35 UK top 40 hits
- For selling over 100 million records worldwide, which include certified RIAA album sales of 10 million
- Received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2018
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1986, and a star on the St. Louis Walk of Fame in 1991
- Received 12 Grammy Awards, which include eight competitive awards, three Grammy Hall of Fame awards, and a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award
Her other honors include:
- 1967: Turner was the first black artist and the first female on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine (Issue No. 2).
- 1993: World Music Awards presented Turner with the Legend Award.
- 1993: Essence Awards honored Turner with the Living Legend Award.
- 1996: Turner received the accolade of Légion d'Honneur from the French education minister.
- 1999: Turner ranked No.2 on VH1's list of 100 Greatest Women of Rock and Roll.
- 2002: Tennessee State Route 19 between Brownsville and Nutbush was named "Tina Turner Highway".
- 2003: Rolling Stone ranked Proud Mary: The Best of Ike & Tina Turner No. 212 on their list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (No. 214 on the 2012 revised list).
- 2004: People ranked her 1985 performance of "What's Love Got to Do With It" as one of the top 10 Grammy moments.
- 2008: Rolling Stone ranked Turner No. 17 on their list of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time.
- 2009: Time ranked her 1985 performance of "What's Love Got to Do With It" as one of the top 10 Grammy moments.
- 2010: Rolling Stone ranked Turner No. 63 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.
- 2013: Turner covered Vogue Germany, becoming the oldest person (aged 73) to cover Vogue magazine, surpassing Meryl Streep (aged 62) who covered American Vogue in 2012.
- 2013: ABC ranked her No. 2 on their list of the 30 greatest women in music.
- 2014: Turner was inducted into the Soul Music Hall of Fame.
- 2015: Rolling Stone ranked Ike & Tina Turner No. 2 on their list of the 20 Greatest Duos of All Time.
- 2015: Ike & Tina Turner were inducted into the St. Louis Classic Rock Hall of Fame.
- 2016: An image of Turner taken by Jack Robinson in 1969 was used as the cover for The Last Shadow Puppets' album Everything You've Come to Expect.
- 2019: Turner was inducted into the Memphis Music Hall of Fame.
- 2020: Private Dancer was added to the National Recording Registry at the Library of Congress.
- 2021: Turner became a two-time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee.
- 2021: Turner received an honorary doctorate for her "unique musical and artistic life's work" from the Philosophical and Historical Faculty of the University of Bern.
- 2022: Mattel released a Barbie doll in Turner's likeness to commemorate her single "What's Love Got To Do With It."
Who is Tina Turner married to?
Tina Turner is a married woman. She tied the knot to her handsome husband, Erwin Bach on 4th July 2013. Erwin Bach is a German music executive. The duo met at a record label party in London. In 2020, she called her relationship with Erwin "one true marriage.".
Previously, Tina dated Harry Taylor, Euge Groove, and Larry Fortensky. After that, she had a relationship with Raymond Hill and has a son, named Raymond Craig with him; though the couple did not marry. She then got married to her first husband, Ike Turner (November 5, 1931 – December 12, 2007). The duo is famous for their hit songs like Proud Mary and River Deep-Mountain High. The singer has reportedly accused her late ex-husband Ike Turner of abusing her, which led to divorce eventually. She retained her stage name even after the divorce. Ronald Turner (born in 1960) was her only son with her husband Ike Turner. Ike Jr. (born in 1958) and Michael Turner (born in 1959) are her stepsons from Ike Turner with his former wife.
The son of music icons Tina Turner and Ike Turner, Ronnie Turner, dies at 62. "Ronnie, you left the world far too early," his mother wrote in an Instagram post. "In sorrow I close my eyes and think of you, my beloved son." His wife, Afida Turner, shared a tribute on Instagram Friday. “I did the best to the end this time I was [not] able to save you,” she wrote. It was not immediately clear Friday what caused Ronnie Turner's death.
Then, Tina dated James Ralston, David Bowie, and Mick Jagger before marrying Erwin Bach.
How Rich is Tina Turner?
Tina Turner is a singer and actress referred to as the "Queen of Rock 'n' Roll". During her career work, she has released nine studio albums with numerous songs. As of December 2022, Turner has an estimated net worth of $250 million with all of her properties and incomes. This excellent singer makes good money from her work. Her salary is kept private but there is no doubt in the mind of her supporters and followers that she is making her annual income in millions of dollars from her professional work.
Her main source of wealth comes from the music industry. She has worked for brands like Plymouth Automobiles (1989), Pepsi-Cola (1989), and Rugby League (Late 80’s/ Early 90’s). She has an expensive car with her own mansion. In October 2021, Turner sold her music rights to BMG Rights Management for $50 million.
How tall is Tina Turner?
Tina Turner is a beautiful woman with great vocals. She stands tall at a height of 1.63 cm (5 ft 4 in) and her body weight measures of 58 Kg. Her eye color is dark brown and her hair color is also dark brown.
She has got an attractive body figure with an athletic body type. Her smiling face and charming personality have helped her to gain the attention of all the viewers. Her body measurement is 36-29-38 in. She has svelte legs, with energetic stage performances. Her dress size is 10 (US) or 14 (UK) or 42 (EU) and she wears shoe sizes of 8.5 (US) or 39 (EU) or 6 (UK).
Trivias About Tina Turner You Need To Know.
- Anna Mae Bullock is her real name.
- She first appeared in the documentary film Gimme Shelter (1970), where she performed as herself.
- Her first album Tina Turns the Country On! was released in 1974 under the label United Artists in which she performed solo.
- She first appeared on TV in The Big T.N.T Show (1966), a documentary in which she featured as herself.
- She used to sing for the church choir at Nutbush’s Spring Hill Baptist Church.