Facts About Tom Steyer
|Celebrated Name||Tom Steyer|
|Age||65 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Thomas Fahr Steyer|
|Profession||Philanthropist , Environmentalist , Activist|
|Place Of Birth||Manhattan, New York|
|Father||Roy Henry Steyer|
|Wife||Kathryn “Kat” Ann Taylor|
|Net Worth||$1.6 Million|
|Salary||Will Add Soon|
|Body Measurement||Will Add Soon|
Thomas Fahr Steyer famed as Tom Steyer is an American hedge fund manager, philanthropist, environmentalist, liberal activist as well as a fundraiser. Moreover, he is a candidate in the 2020 Democratic Party presidential primaries and he is the founder and former co-senior-managing-partner of Farallon Capital and the co-founder of Onecalifornia Bank, which became (through merger) Beneficial State Bank, an Oakland-based community development bank. He also served on the board of trustees at Stanford University from 2007 to 2017. As of January 2020, his net worth is $1.6 Billion.
Tom Steyer is surging in South Carolina and Nevada
Tom Steyer’s surprise gain in recent polls in South Carolina and Nevada is adding fuel to a debate in the Democratic Party about the ability of billionaire candidates to boost their profiles and place on the debate stage through lavish spending. Steyer, who has never held political office and is in the low single digits nationally, surprised many analysts by coming in second in a recent South Carolina poll and gaining significantly in Nevada. That follows months of saturating the airwaves in two states that have attracted less advertising attention from most other candidates. His ability to transform his personal wealth into a spot onstage, while longtime elected officials such as Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) have been unable to qualify, is a source of growing friction at the party especially at a time when income inequality is a heated topic among Democrats.
- Being a candidate in the 2020 Democratic Party presidential primaries.
- Being the founder and former co-senior-managing-partner of Farallon Capital and the co-founder of Onecalifornia Bank.
Who are the Parents and Siblings of Tom Steyer?
Tom Steyer was born on 27th June 1957, in Manhattan, New York as Thomas Fahr Steyer. He is one of the three sons of Marnie (nee Fahr) and Roy Henry Steyer. His father was a lawyer, who became a partner at the New York-based law firm Sullivan & Cromwell, while his mother was an educator who, at one point, taught remedial reading at the Brooklyn House of Detention. His two brothers are James “Jim” Pearson Steyer, a civil rights activist, child advocate, educator, and author, and Hume Steyer, a partner at Seward & Kissel LLP. He began his student life at Buckley School in New York City and went on to enroll at Phillips Exeter Academy, a co-educational boarding school located in Exeter, New Hampshire. He began attending Yale University in 1975, pursuing degrees in economics and political science. He then enrolled at Stanford Business School from where he received his Master of Business Administration (MBA). As of 2019, he celebrated his 62nd birthday with his friends. He is American by nationality and his ethnicity is White. He is Christian by religion.
How was the career of Tom Steyer?
- Tom started working at Morgan Stanley in the year 1979 which was his first job in the banking sector till 1981.
- He then attended Stanford University for his MBA degree.
- He then found employment as an associate in the risk arbitrage division of Goldman Sachs after his graduation.
- He was there from 1983 to 1985, primarily involved in mergers and acquisitions.
- After that, he left Goldman Sachs after he got the offer to be a member of the Executive Committee at the San Francisco based private equity firm, Hellman & Friedman. He left Hellman & Friedman in 1986.
- He founded Farallon Capital Management and set up its headquarters in San Francisco. In 2011, its market value was measured at $21 billion.
- In order to serve their east coast clients, the firm set up an office in New York and expanded its operation beyond the US border as well. It has offices in Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and London.
- He is popular in the industry, even several years after retirement, for his maverick approach to his profession.
- He along with his wife, set up OneCalifornia Bank and OneCalifornia Foundation with $22.5 million as capital in 2007 which holds a “triple bottom line” which maintains a profit margin, encourages environmental sustainability, and increase economic opportunity in underserved communities. Neither Steyer nor his wife take any portion of the profit.
- In August 2010, the bank underwent a merger after they bought ShoreBank Pacific, a Washington-based community bank.
- He then resigned from his position at Farallon Capital to devote himself as an ardent advocate for clean energy in 2012.
- They estimate that the facilities he had provided the funds for would last until 2030.
- Regarding his political Career, he first became involved in politics in 1983, when he served on Walter Mondale's presidential campaign.
- He supported Hillary Clinton but later emerged as one of Barack Obama’s biggest fundraisers in 2008 Democratic Party presidential primaries.
- He was in the consideration as the potential Secretary of Treasury and in 2013, as the potential Energy Secretary following Obama’s victory.
- He worked with former Secretary of State and Republican George Shultz as co-chairs of the No on Prop. 23 campaign.
- He delivered a speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2012.
- He backed Hillary Clinton during the 2016 US presidential election.
- He invested about $10 million in a campaign that seeks to impeach the current US President, Donald Trump in 2017.
- His 2020 presidential campaign began on July 9, 2019, when he stated that he would be running in the Democratic primaries in an online campaign video posted to Twitter.
- He had stated in a January 2019 Iowa speech that he is "not running for president at this time" previously.
- He has committed himself to spend $100 million in the race.
- He made the largest ad buy in the Democratic primary so far (as of mid-July 2019), at $1.4 million.
- His announced that his campaign had reached 130,000 individual donors, one of two requirements for entry into the September Democratic debate on 13th August 2019.
- He missed the September Democratic debate, on September 8, 2019.
- On October 6, 2019, Steyer reached the polling and donor threshold needed to qualify for the November debate.
- He met the polling threshold for the December debates by polling over 4% in four different state-wide surveys on 18th November 2019.
- On Thursday, 9th January 2020, at the very last moment, he qualified for the Democrat Presidential candidate's debates on 14th January 2020.
Who is the Wife of Tom Steyer?
Regarding the marital status of Tom Steyer, he is a married person. He was married to his wife, Kathryn “Kat” Ann Taylor, since August 1986. A Harvard graduate, she received her J.D./M.B.A from Stanford. The wedding was officiated by Rev. Richard Thayer, a Presbyterian minister, and Rabbi Charles Familia. They have four children together, three sons, Samuel Taylor ("Sam"), Charles Augustus ("Gus"), and Henry Hume ("Henry"), and a daughter, Evelyn Hoover ("Evi”). At present, the duo is living a happy life without any disturbances. They are enjoying their life a lot. His sexual orientation is straight.
What is the Net Worth of Tom Steyer?
The net worth of this famous philanthropist as well as a fundraiser is believed to have $1.6 Million as of January 2020. His major source of earning is from his political career. His salary is still to get unfold yet but it will be added soon once we get information about it. Overall, he is satisfied with his earnings. He is living a luxurious lifestyle from his earnings.
How tall is Tom Steyer?
Being at the age of 62, Tom Steyer still looks very young. He looks very handsome at this age. He has a perfect height of 1.74 m with a balanced body weight of 66 Kg. His other body measurements have not been revealed by any sources yet but it will be added once we get information about it. Overall, he has got a healthy body with a charming face.
Trivias About Tom Steyer You Need To Know.
- He is the founder and former co-senior-managing-partner of Farallon Capital and the co-founder of Onecalifornia Bank.
- He is a candidate in the 2020 Democratic Party presidential primaries.
- He served on the board of trustees at Stanford University from 2007 to 2017.
- As of January 2020, his net worth is $1.6 Billion.