Last updated on June 25th, 2023 at 04:16 am
Facts About Tony Bennett
|Celebrated Name||Tony Bennett|
|Age||96 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Anthony Dominick Benedetto|
|Profession||American Singer , Painter|
|Birth Nation||United States of America|
|Place Of Birth||Astoria, Queens, New York, U.S.|
|Spouse||Patricia Beech (M. 1952; Div. 1971), Sandra Grant Bennett (M. 1971; Div. 2007) and Susan Crow (M. 2007 - Present)|
|Height||5 feet 7½ inches|
|Net Worth||$200 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Music Industry|
|Links||Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook|
Тоnу Веnnеtt іѕ а ѕіngеr аnd раіntеr frоm thе Unіtеd Ѕtаtеѕ оf Аmеrіса. Ніѕ fіrѕt аlbum wаѕ rеlеаѕеd іn 1952, саllеd Весаuѕе оf Yоu. Also, he іѕ thе fоundеr оf аrt hіgh ѕсhооl іn Nеw Yоrk саllеd Frаnk Ѕіnаtrа Ѕсhооl оf thе Аrtѕ. Let's know more about him through this article.
What is Tony Bennett famous for?
- An American singer and painter.
- His traditional pop standards, big band, show tunes, and jazz.
Where is Tony Bennett from?
Recalling his early life, Tony was born as Anthony Dominick Benedetto in Astoria, Queens, New York, the U.S. to his parents John Benedetto and Anna Suraci. His mother is a seamstress and his father is a grocer who died when he was 10. He grew up with his two older siblings named John Benedetto Jr. and Mary Benedetto. Similarly, he is of American nationality and belongs to White ethnicity.
For education, He studied music and painting at the High School of Art and Design in New York City, but he dropped out to economically support his family.
How Tony Bennett become a singer?
- Moving towards his career, Tony served as a copy boy for the Associated Press and also took several other low-paying jobs.
- Later, he began performing as a singing waiter all around the city, in nightclubs, bars, functions, and events.
- Also, He joined the United States Army during the final stages of World War II in 1944. During his time there, he sang under the stage name Joe Bari and performed with the 314th Army Special Services Band.
- Upon his discharge in 1946, He returned to the States and continued singing wherever he could. He also made a few recordings in 1949 but they failed to sell.
- Soon after this, the actress/singer Pearl Bailey recognized his talent and asked him to sing for her in an event opening. Bob Hope, who was also invited to the show, decided to give him a chance. He was then named “Tony Bennett” by Hope and signed to the major Columbia Records.
- He began his professional music career as a crooner of pop tunes. His first hit was the ballad "Because of You” which was produced by Mitch Miller. After the commercial success of the song, Miller continued to produce all of his early tracks. The latter’s "Blue Velvet" also went on to become quite popular.
- In 1953, He once again gained fame with his "Rags to Riches". Soon after this, the producers of the Broadway musical ‘Kismet’ asked him to sing “Stranger in Paradise” as a mode of promotion of their show. The song became a huge hit not only in the USA but in the UK as well.
- In 1955, the American singer released his first long-playing album titled ‘Cloud 7’. Two years later, he came out with the album ‘The Beat of My Heart’. This album featured well-known jazz musicians Nat Adderley and Herbie Mann.
- With the beginning of the rock and roll era in the mid-1950s, He continued to enjoy success, placing the song "In the Middle of an Island" at number 9 in the Billboard Top 40 in 1957.
- He then went on to work with the Count Basie Orchestra. Their collaborative albums titled ‘Basie Swings, Bennett Sings’ and ‘In Person’ turned out to be huge hits.
- In 1962, He released the single "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" and also the album with the same title. Both the album and song managed to achieve gold record status.
- The following year, he came out with his album titled ‘I Wanna Be Around’. This album too went on to become a success with the title song and the single "The Good Life".
- Over the next couple of years, He had minor hits with numerous singles and albums based on show tunes. Then he went on to record "contemporary" rock songs on a request made by Columbia Records' Clive Davis.
- However, the results satisfied no one; this was illustrated by the failure of the singer’s 1970 album ‘Tony Sings the Great Hits of Today’ to generate any profits.
- Taking matters into his own hands, He decided to open his own record company, Improv. This company released several albums and songs including ‘Together Again’, ‘The Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Album’, and ‘What is This Thing Called Love?’
- Towards the end of the 1970s, He had no recording contract. He then got himself booked for shows in colleges and small theaters.
- By 1986, he was re-signed to Columbia Records and released the album ‘The Art of Excellence’ which became Bennett’s first album to become a hit since 1972.
- In the ensuing years, he made appearances on several shows like ‘Late Night with David Letterman’, ‘Late Night with Conan O'Brien’, ‘Muppets Tonight’, and ‘The Simpsons’, to name a few.
- In 1993, He did a series of concerts around the country. He continued to record and came out with the hit album ‘Astoria: Portrait of the Artist’, Sinatra homage ‘Perfectly Frank’, and Fred Astaire tribute ‘Steppin' Out’.
- In 1994, his appearance on ‘MTV Unplugged’ managed to make the audiences swoon. By the end of the 1990s, he had re-established his reputation and continued to tour and record steadily, doing numerous shows every year.
- In addition to several guest performances on TV, He made cameo appearances in movies such as ‘Analyze This,’ ‘The Scout’, and ‘Bruce Almighty.’
- In 2006, he released the album ‘Duets: An American Classic’ that reached the top position on the US Jazz Chart. Two years later, He performed his final concerts with the release of the album ‘A Swingin' Christmas’.
- In September 2011, he came out with ‘Duets II’ and then collaborated with Amy Winehouse for the single "Body and Soul”.
- The following year, he released ‘Viva Duets’. Bennett then performed for the very first time in Israel in 2014.
- A year later, he released the album titled ‘The Silver Lining: The Songs of Jerome Kern’.
- On August 19, 2016, shortly after his 90th birthday, He was honored by the unveiling of an 8-foot tall statue in his likeness in front of the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco.
- In September 2018, He re-recorded the George Gershwin song "Fascinating Rhythm", after 68 years and 342 days, according to the Guinness adjudicator, earning the title of "longest time between the release of an original recording and a re-recording of the same single by the same artist".
- Besides this, He has also had success as a painter, done under his real name of Anthony Benedetto or just Benedetto. He followed up his childhood interest in professional training, work, and museum visits throughout his life. He sketches or paints every day, often of views out of hotel windows when he is on tour.
- He has exhibited his work in numerous galleries around the world. He was chosen as the official artist for the 2001 Kentucky Derby and was commissioned by the United Nations to do two paintings, including one for its fiftieth anniversary.
- His paintings and drawings have been featured in ARTnews and other magazines, and sell for as much as $80,000 apiece. Many of his works were published in the art book Tony Bennett: What My Heart Has Seen in 1996.
- In 2007, another book involving his paintings, Tony Bennett in the Studio: A Life of Art & Music, became a best-seller among art books.
Who is Tony Bennett married to?
Reflecting on his personal life, Tony was married thrice to date. He wаѕ fіrѕt mаrrіеd tо Раtrісіа Веесh frоm 1952 to 1971. They gаvе bіrth tо two ѕоnѕ named Dае Веnnеtt аnd Dаnnу Веnnеtt. Ніѕ ѕесоnd mаrrіаgе wаѕ іn 1971 tо асtrеѕѕ Ѕаndrа Grаnt Веnnеtt, аnd thеу gоt dіvоrсеd іn 2007. They gаvе bіrth tо two dаughtеrѕ named Аntоnіа Веnnеtt аnd Јоаnnа Веnnеtt. Ѕіnсе 2007, He hаѕ bееn mаrrіеd tо Ѕuѕаn Сrоw. Presently, the couple seems to be happy and lives blissfully life.
How much is Tony Bennett's worth?
Being a singer, Tony earns an impressive amount of money and fame through his profession in the field of the music industry. Based on some online reports, his estimated net worth said to be $200 million at present. However, his salary and assets details are yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Tony Bennett?
Observing his body statistics, Tony stands a height of 5 feet 7½ inches and weighs around 59 Kg. Similarly, he has a pair of brown eyes and grey hair color. Further, his other body information is yet to be disclosed, In the case of disclosed, we will let you know.
Trivias About Tony Bennett You Need To Know.
- Initially he served as a copy boy for the Associated Press and also took several other low-paying jobs.
- He was inducted into the 2011 New Jersey Hall of Fame for his contributions to the Arts and Entertainment Industry.
- Friends with Ella Fitzgerald, Harry Belafonte, Martin Luther King, Florence Henderson, Angela Lansbury, Julie London, and Jacqueline Kennedy.
- Winner of the 2017 Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.