Facts About Ugo Monye
|Celebrated Name||Ugo Monye|
|Age||40 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Ugochukwu Chiedozie Monye|
|Profession||Rugby Union Player|
|Place Of Birth||Islington, London, England|
|College / University||Lord Wandsworth College|
|Source of Wealth||Sports pundit and former rugby union player career|
|Net Worth||$1 million to $5 million|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||92 kg (14 st 7 lb)|
|Eye Color||Dark brown|
|Position||Wing / Centre / Fullback|
|Links||Wikipedia Instagram Twitter|
Ugochukwu Chiedozie Monye, excellently known as Ugo Monye is an English sports pundit and former rugby union player. He is a professional wing, center, and full back that was signed by the Harlequin Football Club in 2002. He has also made appearances as a member of the English national rugby team. He played 14 times for England, 241 times for his only club Harlequins and played twice for the British & Irish Lions on their 2009 tour to South Africa. Prior to signing with the Harlequins, he also played for Hampshire RFC as a teenager. Ugo made his international debut playing against the Scottish national team on 21st March 2009. As well, he won both the second division and then the Premiership title with Harlequins, also winning the European Rugby Challenge Cup. Additionally, Ugo was announced as the final contestant for the 2021 series of "Strictly Come Dancing" in August 2021.
- Being an English sports pundit and former rugby union player.
- For winning both the second division and then the Premiership title with Harlequins.
Where was Ugo Monye born?
Ugo Monye stepped for the very first time on 13th April 1983 in Islington, London, England. He took birth with the real name of Ugochukwu Chiedozie Monye in a Christian religious family. He is of British nationality and he came from British-black ethnic background. Ugo has celebrated his 38th birthday as of 2021 and as per his birthdate, his star sign is Aries. Thus, his race is black. Monye's father, Theophilus Monye who was an entrepreneur died aged 81 on 1st September. He had been diagnosed about a year ago. His mother's name is Florence Monye.
Moving to his education, he attended Lord Wandsworth College.
How did Ugo Monye Started His Career?
- Ugo Monye started his career competing in the English Schools' Championships finishing 5th in his heat with a time of 11.10 seconds in the 100 meters at the age of 18. He played for Hampshire RFC U17s and U20s.
- He was fortunate that his former sports master Tim Richardson put him in touch with Harlequins' U19 coach Colin Osborne.
- Then Harlequins offered him a professional contract and within 12 months he was a member of the England RFU Sevens team that won the Hong Kong Sevens.
- Ugo was a key member of the Sevens squad throughout the 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 IRB World Sevens Series and was part of the team that competed in the 2005 Rugby World Cup Sevens in Hong Kong. He was also part of the England RFU Saxons sides that won the Churchill Cup in 2005 and 2008.
- In August 2002, he first played for Harlequins in a friendly against Glasgow Warriors RFC, beginning the following season with five tries in two matches, including a hat trick against Rotherham Titans at Millmoor.
- He scored five tries against Exeter Chiefs in Harlequins' 70-5 victory at Twickenham Stoop as the side returned to the Guinness Premiership after a season in National One during which Monye scored 16 tries. Before the 2009-2010 season, he had run in 47 tries in 105 games for the club.
- Subsequently, Ugo scored his first try for England against Scotland at Twickenham in the Six Nations on 21st March 2009 and made his England debut in England's 39-13 victory over the Pacific Islanders at Twickenham in 2008 and started the rest of the autumn internationals against Australia, South Africa, and New Zealand.
- Later he was selected for the 2009 Lions' tour of South Africa where he made the XV for the first Test in Durban. In the first half, he was prevented from scoring as he dived over the try line when Jean de Villiers got his hand underneath the ball to prevent a try. In the second half, Monye was through to score but was tackled by Morne Steyn and lost control of the ball.
- The Lions lost the Test and Ugo lost his place, being replaced by Luke Fitzgerald. The Lions lost the second Test and Monye was recalled, redeeming himself with a 70-meter intercepted try although the Lions lost the series 2-1. He was the highest Lions try scorer of the tour with 5 tries.
- Badly, he suffered a career-threatening injury and after surgery, he was sidelined for 12 weeks in September 2010 which ruled him out of Martin Johnson's England Squad for the Autumn Test Series and consequently the 2011 Six Nations tournament.
- He returned to play for Harlequins who he helped to win the Amlin Challenge Cup, before being named in the England training squad for the 2011 Rugby World Cup at the end of the season.
- He began for Harlequins in their 2011-2012 Premiership final victory over Leicester Tigers whereas he announced on 24th March 2015 that he was retiring at the end of the season.
- Furthermore, Monye presents the Rugby Union Weekly podcast for the BBC and he is also currently presenting on BT Sport and has worked as a Brand Ambassador for Maximuscle too.
- It was announced in July 2021 that Ugo and Sam Quek would be the new team captains on BBC's "Question of Sport" quiz show.
- As well, he was announced as the final contestant for the 2021 series of "Strictly Come Dancing" in August 2021.
Who is Ugo Monye married to?
Ugo Monye was a married rugby union player. He tied a knot with his beautiful wife Lucy Monye 2016. Ugo has two daughters, Phoenix, and Ruby, who he credits with inspiring his decision to do the show. Sadly, Ugo announced he had split from his wife, shortly before he began starring on Strictly. They had met in 2014 and married in 2016 and insisted their split was amicable and with no third party involved. Speaking to "The Sun", he said: "It's been hard. At times things have seemed a bit overwhelming but it's been a tough period for us both. "We weren't in a volatile relationship, we never hated each other and there was no third party. "Forget the Strictly curse it's the Covid curse! We ended up where we ended up." Ugo reportedly moved out of the family home in West London a few weeks prior but says the couple remains focused on doing what's right for their children and is even considering a family holiday next year. He also admitted he had yet to tell his friends about the situation because the conversation would be "too painful". Talking about Ugo's sexual orientation, he is straight.
Ugo Monye was hit by devastating family tragedy within weeks of divorce
Ugo Monye all smiles on the dance floor when he showcases his best moves with partner Oti Mabuse. But the rugby legend has recently suffered from immense heartache having got divorced and losing his beloved father in the space of just months. After his first-ever live performance, a Samba to Iko Iko (My Bestie) by Justin Wellington ft Small Jam, Ugo explained he had actually been at his father's funeral earlier that day. Because of this, the brave sportsman dedicated the dance to his dad, Theophilus, who died from prostate cancer aged 81.
"My dad passed away a couple of weeks ago, prostate cancer, and this morning we had the funeral," he told host Claudia Winkleman. "And during the funeral, we spoke about today being a day of celebration and that's exactly how today felt. "There's no better way to celebrate than through dancing and so today feels really special." "My two beautiful daughters never had a chance to see me on the rugby pitch," he explained in a statement. "So, to know they can watch me waltzing and twirling every week is really special to me. "I love an outfit at the best of times, so bring on the sequins," he added.
How much is Ugo Monye Net Worth?
Ugo Monye has a net worth of between $1 million to $5 million as of 2021. With the potential that's in store in him, he can go miles. Bit of dedication and luck, he would definitely be unstoppable. Ugo also earns a fine amount of salary which is around a thousand dollars per year. he has not done endorsement work for any brands yet. Furthermore, his major source of income is from his sports pundit and former rugby union player career.
What is the Height of Ugo Monye?
Ugo Monye stands at a tall height of 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in) with a balanced bodyweight of 92 kg (14 st 7 lb). He has good-looking short black hair and dark brown eyes color. His ethnic background is probably one of the reasons for his bold and extremely attractive personality. In addition, Ugo's body build type is athletic.
Trivias About Ugo Monye You Need To Know.
- Ugo danced alongside Oti Mabuse in the English television dancing competition BBC Strictly.
- He is a native of Islington, London.
- He made his international debut playing against the Scottish national team on 21st March 2009.
- Prior to signing with the Harlequins, he played for Hampshire RFC as a teenager.
- He has also made appearances as a member of the English national rugby team.