Vasiliy Lomachenko - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Age, Family, Record, Height
Vasiliy Lomachenko is a Ukrainian professional boxer. In 2013, Vasiliy made his professional debut. He held the World Boxing Organization (WBO) featherweight title (2014-2015), the WBO junior lightweight title (2016-2017), and the unified World Boxing Association (WBA) (Super), World Boxing Council (WBC), WBO and Ring magazine lightweight titles (2018-2020).
Before his professional career, he had established himself as one of the most successful amateur boxers of all time with a scarcely believable 396-1 win-loss record. He won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics (featherweight), the 2012 London Olympics (lightweight), the 2009 Milan World Championships (featherweight), the 2011 Baku World Championships (lightweight), the 2008 European championships (featherweight), and the 2006 Junior World Championships (flyweight).
As of October 2022, he is ranked as the world's sixth-best active boxer, pound for pound, by The Ring, and tenth by ESPN. He is nicknamed The Matrix, Hi-Tech, and Loma.
What is Vasiliy Lomachenko Known For?
- Vasiliy Lomachenko is a professional boxer.
- He is known for his exceptional footwork, head movement, speed, and ability to switch stances.
Where is Vasiliy Lomachenko From?
Vasiliy Lomachenko was born on 17th February 1988 which makes him the present age of 34 in 2022. He is from Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union. He holds Ukrainian nationality and his ethnicity is Ukrainian-White. Vasyl Anatoliyovych Lomachenko is his birth name. His birth sign is Aquarius and he was born into a Christian religious family.
Vasiliy Lomachenko was born to his father, Anatoly Lomachenko, and his mother, Tetiana Lomachenko. He has a sister namely Anastasiia Lomachenko. His dad coached him from a young age. He claims that if his father had not been a boxing coach he probably would have chosen to play ice hockey professionally. According to Bob Arum in 2017, Lomachenko's father did not let him train for boxing until he attended traditional Ukrainian dance classes. He then went on to gymnastics before finally getting into the ring.
Vasiliy Lomachenko Boxing Career
- His amateur career began at the 2007 World Championships in Chicago where he won silver by beating Abner Cotto in the first round and then Theodoros Papazov, Mikhail Bernadski, Arturo Santos Reyes, and Li Yang in the semifinal and Albert Selimov in the final with whom he lost (11–16).
- He won gold at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.
- Next, he won gold to become a continental champion at the European Championships in Liverpool.
- He won gold at the 2009 World Championships in Milan.
- He won his second consecutive gold medal to become a two-weight world champion.
- He won his second consecutive Olympic gold medal at the 2012 Olympic Games in London to become a rare two-weight Olympic champion.
- He defeated Han Soon-Chul of South Korea in the final to win the Val Barker Trophy for a second time.
- He finished his extensive amateur career with an impressive record of 396 wins and only one loss, to Albert Selimov, which was avenged twice.
- He competed in the lightweight division of the World Series of Boxing (WSB) from January to May 2013.
- He then turned professional and signed a contract to fight for 'Top Rank'.
- He made his professional debut in the United States on 12 October 2013 where he defeated fighter José Ramirez with a fourth-round knockout.
- After that, he challenged veteran boxer, Orlando Salido, for World Boxing Organization's featherweight title. The WBO title remained vacant due to Salido not making weight.
- Lomachenko defeated Russell Jr. via a twelve-round majority decision to win the vacant WBO featherweight title on 21st June 2014.
- He made his first title defense against mandatory challenger Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo of Thailand. Lomachenko won a unanimous decision with scores of 120–107 on all three of the judges' scorecards.
- His next fight was against Puerto Rican boxer Gamalier Rodríguez. Vasiliy retained his WBO title against Rodriguez via a ninth-round KO victory.
- On 7th November 2015, he next fought on the Tim Bradley vs. Brandon Rios undercard on HBO against #7 WBO-ranked 24-year-old Romulo Koasicha. Lomachenko won the fight.
- He defeated Román Martínez on 11th June 2016 and retained his WBO title. He became the fastest boxer to win a world title in two weight divisions knocking out Martinez in the 5th round of the world title fight.
- He next fought against Nicholas Walters, Jason Sosa, Miguel Marriaga, Guillermo Rigondeaux, Jorge Linares, José Pedraza, Anthony Crolla, Luke Campbell, Teófimo López, Masayoshi Nakatani, Richard Commey.
- During the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, he joined the Ukrainian army. He was in Greece when the invasion began (on 24 February 2022), and his flight home to Ukraine the next day was delayed due to air traffic being grounded. He somehow managed to get into Ukraine.
- On 20 March, he was given permission to leave Ukraine, in order to face George Kambosos Jr. in Australia. However, Lomachenko declined, opting to stay and fight for his country.
- On July 7, 2022, Top Rank president, Todd DuBoef, indicated Lomachenko would return to the boxing ring as early as October 2022. Lomachenko has yet to fight in 2022.
- Recently, he fought and won against Jamaine Ortiz on 29th October 2022 in Hulu Theater, New York City, New York, US with a record of 17-2.
- Regarding his professional boxing record (boxrec), he has fought 19 matches till now out of which he won 17 matches and lost 2 matches.
Who is Vasiliy Lomachenko married to?
Vasiliy Lomachenko is a married man to his beautiful wife, Olena. The duo is blessed with two children namely Viktoria Lomachenko and Anatoly Lomachenko. They share strong love and affection with each other. It does not seem like their relationship is going to end in the upcoming days. As of 2019 (and since at least 2016), he lives in Camarillo, California, and trains in nearby Oxnard, just north of Los Angeles. His sexual orientaiton is straight and he is not gay.
What is Vasiliy Lomachenko Net Worth?
Vasiliy Lomachenko is a professional boxer whose net worth is believed to have $10 million as of 2022. His primary source of income is from the game of boxing however, he also has various investments and brand endorsements which add up to his net worth. He has earned over $20 million from his professional boxing career. He earns over $3 million as a guaranteed purse from each fight. Thus, his salary will be more than $3 Million at present.
Vasiliy Lomachenko made $631,000 fighting against Salido in his second professional bout. Fighting against Russell Jr., he was entitled to $631,350 (60%). In 2015, he had a $750,000 purse for the defense against Gamalier Rodríguez. He made $750,000 fighting against Romulo Koasicha in 2015, he made $950,000 against Román Martínez in 2016, he made $1 million against Nicholas Walters and Jason Sosa, he made $750,000 against Miguel Marriaga in 2017, he made $1.25 million against Guillermo Rigondeaux in 2017 and Jorge Linares in 2018, he made $2 million against José Pedraza, he made $3.5 million against Luke Campbell in 2019, he made $3.25 million against Teófimo López in 2020, he made $500,000 against Masayoshi Nakatani in 2021, and he made $750,000 against Richard Commey in 2022.
He is the official brand ambassador of the popular boxing apparel and equipment brand Venum. He is also working with the luxury menswear brand Billionaire where he endorses the brand. He is an international brand ambassador for this brand Billionaire. He is the owner of a hotel resort titled Loma Club Hotel. In 2019 the boxer also was in collaboration with a luxury watch brand along with Christophe Claret where they launched ‘Loma Watch’. He has a lavish house in Ukraine. There are various luxury cars in his collection.
How tall is Vasiliy Lomachenko?
Vasiliy Lomachenko stands tall at the height of 1.70 m or 5 ft 7 in and his body weight consists of 61 kg. His hair color is dark brown and his eye color is also dark brown. His highest reach is 1.66 m or 65/.5 in. The face tattooed on Lomachenko's torso is that of his father and trainer, Anatoly Lomachenko. Being a fighter, he maintains his body a lot by doing frequent exercise. His bodytype is athletic. He has the ‘Olympics’ logo with the words ‘London 2012’ tattooed over his right bicep and a similar tattoo with the words ‘Beijing 2008’ on his left bicep.
Trivias About Vasiliy Lomachenko You Need To Know.
- He used to play soccer and hockey at school and compete in wrestling.
- He was just 3 days old when his father, a boxing coach had put a pair of gloves in his hands.
- Vasyl Anatoliyovych Lomachenko is his real name.
- He claims that if his father had not been a boxing coach he probably would have chosen to play ice hockey professionally.
- As of October 2022, he is ranked as the world's sixth best active boxer, pound for pound, by The Ring, and tenth by ESPN.