Facts About Wanda Sykes
|Celebrated Name||Wanda Sykes|
|Age||59 Years Old|
|Birth Name||Wanda Yvette Sykes|
|Profession||Comedian , Actress , Stand-up Comedian|
|Place Of Birth||Portsmouth, Virginia|
|Father||Harry Ellsworth Sykes|
|High School||Arundel High School|
|Bra Cup Size||34B|
|Children||Olivia and Lucas|
|Net Worth||$6 Million|
|Salary||Will Add Soon|
Wanda Yvette Sykes, popularly known as Wanda Sykes is an American actress, stand-up comedian, and writer. Sykes rose to prominence as the writer on The Chris Rock Show, for which she won a Primetime Emmy Award in 1999. In acting, she is known for her roles in tv series, The New Adventures of Old Christine, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Black-ish, and The Upshaws among others. She has starred in several movies and has voice roles in several animated movies.
What is Wanda Sykes Famous For?
- A former writer on The Chris Rock Show.
Where is Wanda Sykes From?
Wanda Sykes was born on 7 March 1964. Her birth name is Wanda Yvette Sykes. Her birth place is in Portsmouth, Virginia in the United States. She holds an American nationality. She was born to her father, Harry Ellsworth Sykes, and her mother, Marion Louise. She has an older brother, Harry. She belongs to the African-American ethnicity and her religion is Christianity. Her zodiac sign is Pisces.
Regarding her educational background, she attended Arundel High School. After high school, she attended Hampton University. She graduated from Hampton with a Bachelor of Science degree in marketing.
Wanda Sykes Career
- Wanda Sykes worked as a contracting specialist at the National Security Agency for five years.
- While at NSA, she started her stand-up career at the Coors Light Super Talent Showcase in Washington, DC.
- She continued to perform at local venues.
- She moved to New York City in 1992.
- She garnered her first big break after she opened for Chris Rock at Caroline's Comedy Club.
- She joined the writing team on The Chris Rock Show in 1997.
- Along with writing, she made numerous appearances on the show as well.
- In acting, she has starred in numerous movies and television shows.
- She is known for her roles on CBS' The New Adventures of Old Christine (2006–10), HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm (2001–present), ABC's Black-ish (2015–present), Netflix original series The Upshaws, HBO Max comedy series The Other Two, and Paramount+'s The Good Fight.
- She has also starred in numerous films, most significantly in Monster-in-Law, My Super Ex-Girlfriend, Evan Almighty, and License to Wed.
- She has voicing characters in animated films, Over the Hedge, Barnyard, Brother Bear 2, Rio, Ice Age: Continental Drift, Ice Age: Collision Course, and UglyDolls.
- She hosted Comedy Central's popular show, Premium Blend.
- She started a new late-talk night show, The Wanda Skyes Show in 2009.
- She appeared as Miss Hannigan in a professional theater production of Annie.
- She won Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Central in 1999. She was nominated fourteen times.
- She won the American Comedy Award for "Funniest Female Stand-Up Comic" in 2001.
- She won a Comedy Central Commie Award for "Funniest TV Actress" in 2003.
- She won the GLAAD Stephen F. Kolzak Awad in 2010.
- She won the Activism in the Arts honor at the Triumph Awards in 2015.
- She is an author. Her book, Yeah, I Said in was published in 2004.
Who is Wanda Sykes Husband?
Wanda Sykes is a married woman. She is married to Fench Alex Niedbalski. The two first met in 2006 and got married in 2008. They share fraternal twins, a daughter, Olivia, and a son, Lucas, born to Niedbalski. She splits time between Pennsylvania and Cherry Grove.
Her parents did not attend Sykes's wedding with Alex because her parents initially did not accept her homosexuality.
Sykes was previously married to a record producer from 1991 to 1998.
She announced on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in September 2011 that she had been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS).
What is Wanda Sykes Height?
Wanda Sykes stands at the height of 1.57 m i.e. 5 feet and 2 inches tall. She has a body weight of 125 lbs i.e. 57 kg. She has an average body build. Her sexual orientation is lesbian. She publicly came out as a lesbian at a same-sex marriage rally in Las Vegas in November 2008.
What is Wanda Sykes Net Worth?
Wanda Sykes is a complete entertainment package. Starting off her career as a writer for The Chris Rock Show, she has starred in numerous movies and television shows. She also has voicing characters in numerous movies. Summing up, the majority of her income comes from her acting career. At present, her net worth is estimated at around $10 million.
Trivias About Wanda Sykes You Need To Know.
- Her father was a U.S. Army colonel employed at the Pentagon.
- Her mother worked as a banker.
- Her family history was researched for an episode of the 2012 PBS genealogy program, Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr.
- Her ancestry was traced back to a 1683 court case involving her ancestor, Elizabeth Banks, a free white woman and indentured servant, who gave birth to a biracial child, Mary Banks, fathered by a slave, who inherited her mother's free status.
- She was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha.
- She performed in front of a live audition in 1987.
- She served as a correspondent for HBO's Inside the NFL.
- Sykes co-hosted the 94th Academy Awards with Regina Hall and Amy Schumer.
- She performed as part of Cyndi Lauper's True Colors Tour for LGBT rights in 2008.
- Entertainment Weekly named her one of the 25 funniest people in America in 2004.
- She appeared in a television ad for the Think Before You Speak Campaign, an advertising campaign by GLSEN in October 2008 aimed at curbing homophobic slang in youth communities.
- She is an outspoken supporter of same-sex marriage.
- She is the first African-American woman and the first openly LGBT person to be the featured entertainer for the annual White House Correspondents'. Association in 2009.
- She publicly expressed being devasted when California voters passed state Proposition 8.
- She worked with PETA on promoting dog anti-chaining legislation in her home state.
- She has been an outspoken supporter of Detroit's Ruth Ellis Center after the organization's staff sent Sykes a letter asking her to visit during her 2010 tour's stop in Detroit.