Last updated on August 12th, 2022 at 04:17 pm
Facts About Whitney Houston
|59 Years Old
|Nippy, The Prom Queen of Soul, The Princess of Pop, The Voice
|Whitney Elizabeth Houston
|Place Of Birth
|Newark, New Jersey, U.S
|United States of America
|Singer, Actress & Model
|Mount Saint Dominic Academy
|Place Of Death
|Beverly Hills, California, U.S
|Cause Of Death
|Married But Divorced
|Bobby Brown (M. 1992; Div. 2007)
|Bobbi Kristina Brown
|John Russell Houston
|5 feet 8 inches
|Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
Whitney Houston was a multi-Grammy award-winning American singer, actress, and model. Throughout her life, she released seven albums and appeared in several movies. Her dynamic vocals netted her over 200 million worldwide record sales. She was also recognized as one of the best, if not the best, selling female artists of all time. In 2009, the Guinness World Records agreed, labeling her the most awarded female act of the time. Let's know more about her through this article.
What was Whitney Houston famous for?
- An American singer and actress.
- Her mysterious death in the bathtub on 11th February 2012.
Where was Whitney Houston born?
Recalling her early life, Houston was born in Newark, New Jersey, the U.S. She is American by nationality and belongs to Afro-American ethnicity. She was the daughter of Army serviceman and entertainment executive John Russell Houston, Jr., and gospel singer Emily "Cissy" (Drinkard) Houston. Similarly, her birth sign is Leo and she has four siblings. Talking about her education, she attended Mount Saint Dominic Academy and she is a follower of Roman Catholicism.
When did Whitney Houston begin her career in the entertainment industry?
- Moving towards her career, Houston was connected with Clive Davis from Arista Records in her early days. She immediately signed and would begin her transition from gospel to pop music.
- She begins working on her studio album. In 1985, she unleashed her debut studio album Whitney Houston which was an instant hit. The album featured various hit singles and sat atop the US charts for several weeks. Standout songs such as Saving All My Love for You and How Will I Know catapulted her to stardom.
- In 1986, she received a Grammy for Saving All My Love for You. The following year, her second album Whitney was released. It too proved multiplatinum and did extremely well.
- By 1992, she had released four albums and was already an icon in the music world. In the same year, she starred alongside Kevin Costner in The Bodyguard. The romantic thriller became very popular but her signature soundtrack eventually stole the show.
- Becoming her biggest hit ever, the soundtrack I Will Always Love Your spends a mind-blowing 14 weeks atop the US Charts. The song aided her in becoming the recipient of another 3 Grammy awards. In the following years, she would appear in the films Waiting to Exhale and The Preacher's Wife.
- In 1998, she released another album My Love Is Your Love. It too saw some success as the single It's Not Right But It's Okay won her a Grammy. A collaboration with Mariah Carey on When You Beleive also earned her another award.
- In the early 2000s, her relationship was back in the spotlight. The extremely rocky marriage was now having a more pronounced effect on her career. From several concert cancellations to appearing in poor physical form, her successful career did not correlate with her marriage. Nevertheless, Guinness World Record recognized her as the most awarded female artist of all time in 2009.
- In August 2001, she signed one of the biggest record deals in music history, with Arista/BMG. She renewed her contract for $100 million to deliver six new albums, on which she would also earn royalties. She later made an appearance on Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Special, where her extremely thin frame further spurred rumors of drug use. Houston's publicist said, "Whitney has been under stress due to family matters, and when she is under stress she doesn't eat."
- After her divorce, she attempted to pull her life back together with the release of the album I Look To You in 2009. Despite being well received by fans and charting, the album cannot be compared to her previous works. Her live appearances also had people talking due to the decline in the quality of her voice. however, that did not stop her attempted comeback.
- In January 2010, she was nominated for two NAACP Image Awards, one for Best Female Artist and one for Best Music Video. She won the award for Best Music Video for her single I Look to You.
- On January 16th, she received The BET Honors Award for Entertainer citing her lifetime achievements spanning over 25 years in the industry.
- She also performed the song I Look to You at the 2011 BET Celebration of the Gospel, with the gospel–jazz singer Kim Burrell, held at the Staples Center, Los Angeles. The performance aired on January 30th, 2011.
- In May 2011, she enrolled in a rehabilitation center again, citing drug and alcohol problems. A representative for Houston said that the outpatient treatment was a part of Houston's "longstanding recovery process".
- On May 21st, 2012, Celebrate, the last song she recorded with Sparks, premiered at RyanSeacrest.com. It was made available for digital download on iTunes on June 5th. The song was featured on the Sparkle: Music from the Motion Picture soundtrack as the first official single.
What is Whitney Houston's Cause of Death?
Houston died on February 11th, 2012 at the age of 48. She passed away in Los Angeles, California at a Beverly Hilton Hotel. Her reported cause of death was accidental drowning in her bathtub. The autopsy confirmed that cocaine found in her system and heart disease were contributing factors to her death. News of her death coincided with the 2012 Grammy Awards and was featured prominently in international media.
Was Whitney Houston married?
Reflecting on her personal life, Houston was married to Bobby Brown in 1992. Almost the duo live 15 years together but unfortunately, the duo divorced in 2007. Together, the duo produces a child named Bobbi Kristina Brown.
In 2019, several years after her death, Robin Crawford stated that their early relationship had included sexual activity, but that Houston ended this for fear of others' reactions.
How much was Whitney Houston worth?
Being a part of the entertainment industry until her death, Houston earns quite an impressive amount of money and fame through her profession as an actor, singer, and model. Based on some online reports, her estimated net worth is said to be $20 million at the time of her death. However, her salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall was Whitney Houston?
Before her death, Houston stands a height of 5 feet 8 inches and weighs around 64 Kg. Similarly, she has a pair of brown eyes and hair color. She used 9 (US) shoe sizes. Further, her body measures 35-25-35 inches.
Trivias About Whitney Houston You Need To Know.
- She was a fashion model before she started singing professionally.
- She was a lifelong Democrat.
- During one of her live performances, she fell down a step and snapped a strap on her bra.
- She suffered three miscarriages during her relationship with Bobby Brown: in 1991, 1994 and 1996.