Yann Sommer - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Nationality, Salary, Contract, Transfer News, Married, Wife, Family, Height, Facts, Parents, Wiki, Career, Position
Yann Sommer is a Swiss professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Bundesliga club Borussia Monchengladbach and the Swiss national team. His shirt number is 1. He joined Borussia Monchengladbach in 2014 after spending four years with Basel whereas he became a member of the Swiss national team in 2011. He previously spent his youth career with FC Herrliberg, Concordia, and Basel. Yann represented the nation at the FIFA World Cup in 2014 and 2018, and the UEFA European Championship in 2016 and 2020. He saved a penalty from Kylian Mbappe during the penalty shoot-out on 28th June 2021, in which Switzerland won 5-4 against France in the UEFA Euro 2020 round of 16, after a 3-3 draw. Additionally, he made eight saves in extra time alone against Spain in the Euro 2020 quarter-finals on 2nd July 2021; however, Switzerland lost 1-3 on penalties, after a 1-1 draw.
Yann Sommer was almost unbeatable again in goal for Switzerland
Spain made it through to the Euro 2020 semi-finals by beating a resilient Switzerland side on penalties in Saint-Petersburg. La Roja took the lead when Jordi Alba's strike took a wicked deflection off Denis Zakaria and past Yann Sommer into the goal. Xherdan Shaqiri leveled matters in the second half by taking advantage of a mix-up between Aymeric Laporte and Pau Torres at the back. Switzerland's Remo Freuler was sent off after Switzerland's equalizer but France's conquerors managed to force another penalty shoutout. The Swiss couldn't prevail this time and missed three spot-kicks, with Spain goalkeeper Unai Simon saving two, leaving Mikel Oyarzabal to slam home the winner.
- Being a Swiss professional footballer.
- For playing as a goalkeeper for Bundesliga club Borussia Monchengladbach and the Swiss national team.
What is the Nationality of Yann Sommer?
Yann Sommer was born on 17th December 1988. He was conceived in Morges, Switzerland in a Christian religious family. He holds Swiss nationality and he belongs to Swiss-white ethnicity. Yann's race is white and his present age is 32 whereas he will be celebrating his 33rd birthday in the December of 2021. As per his birthdate, his star sign is Sagittarius. Yann is the son of his father, Daniel Sommer, and his mother, Monika Sommer.
How was the Football Career of Yann Sommer?
- Yann Sommer kicks off his football career as a child in the youth teams of FC Herrliberg and later of Concordia Basel after which he moved to the Basel youth setup in 2003 and signed his first professional contract with Basel in 2005. He became the first-choice goalkeeper in the under-21 squad almost immediately and was third-choice for the senior squad behind Franco Costanzo and Louis Crayton.
- He then signed a new contract lasting until 2011 during the summer of 2007 and was loaned out to Liechtensteiner club Vaduz whereas he made the first-choice goalkeeper and played 33 matches over the course of the 2007-2008 Swiss Challenge League season, playing a major part in Vaduz's promotion to the Swiss Super League. His loan deal was then extended to last until January 2009.
- On 20th July 2008, he made his Super League debut for Vaduz in the 2-1 away win against Luzern and was recalled to Basel on 7th January 2009 because the club's first-choice goalkeeper, Franco Costanzo, was injured.
- On 7th January 2009, he made his Super League debut for Basel in a 3-2 defeat to Young Boys at the Stade de Suisse, Wankdorf, and joined Grasshopper on a one-season-long loan on 16th June.
- Later he signed a five-year contract with Basel on 14th June 2010 and served as second-choice goalkeeper behind Franco Costanzo. He played five Super League matches during the 2010-2011 season and so was part of the championship-winning team.
- He made his UEFA Champions League debut on 14th September 2011 in the 2-1 home win against Otelul Galati as well as he was the first-choice goalkeeper in the 2011-2012 season.
- He won the league title for the third consecutive time at the end of the 2012-2013 season, having played in all 36 league matches whereas he also won the league championship with Basel at the end of the 2013-2014 season.
- Sommer managed to keep 65 clean sheets in 170 appearances in all competitions with Basel.
- Yann signed a five-year contract with German Bundesliga side Borussia Monchengladbach on 10th March 2014, effective from 1st July, and was signed to replace Marc-Andre ter Stegen, who had joined Barcelona.
- In his first season at Monchengladbach, 2014-2015, Gladbach finished in third place in the Bundesliga, the club's highest league finish since 1978.
- His debut came against FC 08 Homburg in the DFB-Pokal, where Gladbach won 3-1 and he was named Gladbach's player of the season.
- Yann was forced to sit out against VfL Wolfsburg due to a broken nose, having injured it against Manchester City in the Champions League.
- Borussia Monchengladbach finished fourth in the 2015-2016 season, and qualified for the 2016-2017 UEFA Champions League.
- Sommer extended his contract until 2023 in November 2019. Borussia Monchengladbach reached the round of 16 in the 2020-2021 UEFA Champions League, where they lost against Manchester City.
- Yann Sommer has represented Switzerland at various age levels, including at under-16, -17, -19, and -21 levels as he made his Swiss U-16s debut on 26th August 2003, but the match ended in a 0-5 defeat against Germany. His U-17s debut was on 20th November 2003 in the 1-1 draw against England.
- On 22nd August 2007, he made his debut for the Swiss under-21s as he was substituted in at half-time during the 2-1 away win against Belgium.
- Sommer was goalkeeper and captain of the Swiss U-21 team which competed in the final tournament of the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Championship
- The Swiss team reached the 2011 UEFA European Under-21 Championship Final on 25th June without conceding a goal but lost 2-0 to Spain which was Sommer's final match for the under-21s.
- On 30th May 2012, he made his debut for the Swiss senior side at the Swissporarena, Lucerne, in a 0-1 defeat against Romania in a friendly match.
- As well, he was named in Switzerland's 23-man squad for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil on 13th May whereas he was one of three goalkeepers included in Switzerland's UEFA Euro 2016 squad.
- He was unable to prevent Switzerland from being eliminated by Poland in the round of 16, losing 5-4 on penalties, after a 1-1 draw.
- Also, he was included in Switzerland's 23-man squad for the 2018 World Cup. He played in the 2019 UEFA Nations League Finals in May 2019, where his team finished 4th.
- He saved a penalty from Kylian Mbappe during the penalty shoot-out on 28th June 2021, in which Switzerland won 5-4 against France in the UEFA Euro 2020 round of 16, after a 3-3 draw.
- Yann also made eight saves in extra time alone against Spain in the Euro 2020 quarter-finals on 2nd July 2021; however, Switzerland lost 1-3 on penalties, after a 1-1 draw.
- Borussia M'gladbach on 01/07/2014 for 9M €
- FC Basel on 30/06/2010 at the end of the loan
- FC Basel on 07/01/2009 at the end of the loan
- FC Basel on 01/07/2006 from FC Basel U18
Awards and Achievements
- Swiss Challenge League: 2007-2008
- Liechtenstein Football Cup: 2007-2008
- Swiss Super League: 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014
- Swiss Cup: 2011-2012
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship runner-up: 2011
- Credit Suisse Player of the Year: 2016, 2018
- Bundesliga Team of the Season: 2019-2020
Who is Yann Sommer Wife?
Yann Sommer is a married footballer. He tied a knot with his pretty wife Alina Sommer in August 2019, whom he began dating in 2016. Alina is a well-known German lawyer. The couple is blessed with a daughter named Mila Sommer, who was born on the 4th of November 2019. Yann's and Alina's relationship is outstanding till now and hope it will remain as same as in the future too. Concerning his sexual orientation, he is straight.
How much is Yann Sommer Net Worth?
Yann Sommer has a net worth of above $3 million as of 2021 whereas his annual salary is around €2 million with a weekly salary of around €39,000 which he gets from playing for his current club, Borussia Monchengladbach. His market value is €6 million as of May 2021 and his highest market value is €13 million as of October 2018. In addition, Yann's major source of income is from his football career.
How tall is Yann Sommer?
Yann Sommer stands tall at a tall height of 6 ft 0 in / 183 cm and his body weight is around 79 kg. He has good-looking brown hair and eyes color. His physique combined with his perfect height and masculine look takes him to the top of the desired list in the young gen women. Yann is athletic by body build.
Trivias About Yann Sommer You Need To Know.
- Yann spent his youth career with FC Herrliberg, Concordia and Basel.
- He appeared in 50 matches while on loan to Vaduz from 2007 to 2008.
- He and striker Eren Derdiyok became teammates on the Swiss national team.
- He became a member of the Swiss national team in 2011.
- Sommer joined Borussia Monchengladbach in 2014 after spending four years with Basel.