Zandra Rhodes - Bio, Net Worth, Parents, Husband, Age, Awards, Wiki
Zandra Lindsey Rhodes, popularly known as Zandra Rhodes is an English fashion and textile designer. She is one of the most popular English garment and textile designers in the world who has spent over five decades in the fashion industry. Her unique and outrageous designs made the start of her career a little difficult but with time, she went on to become one of the most successful designers in the world. She has designed for several popular personalities including Diana, Princess of Wales. For her contribution, she has been recognized with numerous prestigious honors.
What is Zandra Rhodes Famous For?
- Popular English fashion and textile designer.
Where is Zandra Rhodes From?
Zandra Rhodes was born on 19 September 1940. Her birth name is Zandra Lindsey Rhodes. Her birth place is in Chatham, Kent in England. She holds English nationality. She belongs to white ethnicity and her religion is Christianity. Her zodiac sign is Christianity. Information about her parents is not available at present. She has a sister named Beverly Rhodes.
Regarding her educational background, she studied at Medway College of Art where her major area of study was printed textile design. She later studied at the Royal College of Art under scholarship. She graduated with a degree in home furnishing textile design.
Zandra Rhodes Career
- Zandra Rhodes's textile designs in her early days were difficult as her designs were considered outrageous.
- She started a business with fashion designer Sylvia Ayton in 1968. They opened a boutique, Fulham Road Clothes Shop.
- She produced her first collection showing loose, romantic garments.
- The two designers went their separate ways in 1969.
- Rhodes started her own studio as a freelancer in Paddington in West London.
- Her first solo collection received recognition from both the British and American markets. She soon established herself in world fashion putting London at the forefront of the international fashion scene in the 1970s.
- She designed her first interior home decor collection in 1976. She established a studio in California to develop an interior design business in 1995.
- She has designed garments for Diana, Princess of Wales, Freddie Mercury, and Marc Bolan among other numerous popular personalities.
- She founded the Fashion and Textile Museum in London in 2003. The museum provides exhibitions and educational programs for fashion students.
- For her contribution to the fashion industry, she has been honored with numerous awards. She was awarded the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in the Performing Arts-Costume Design in 1979. She was awarded the Designer of the Year in 1972. In 2019, she was awarded the Walpole British Luxury Legend Award.
- She was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1997.
- She was appointed Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in the 2014 Birthday Honours.
Is Zandra Rhodes Married?
Zandra Rhodes has never been married in her life. However, she was not single at all. She was in a relationship with Salah Hassanein, the former president of Warner Brothers for a long time. They were in a relationship from 1921 until his death in 2019. She describes Hassanein as the greatest love of her life.
How Tall is Zandra Rhodes?
Zandra Rhodes stands at a height of around 1.79 m tall. She has a body weight of around 66 kg. She has an average body build. Her eye color is blue and her hair color is black. She is usually seen on theatrical makeup with pink hair, her trademark style. Her sexual orientation is straight.
What is Zandra Rhodes Net Worth?
Zandra Rhodes is one of the most reputed fashion and textile designers in the world. Having spent over five decades in her career, she has made a good fortune out of her designing career. Her net worth is estimated at over $1.4 million.
Trivias About Zandra Rhodes You Need To Know.
- She has designed garments for Diana Princess of Wales and numerous celebrities.
- She founded the Fashion and Textile Museum in London in the year 2003.
- She also has a sister named Beverley Rhodes.
- Her birth sign is Virgo.
- Her father was in the air force in Egypt and later became a lorry driver.
- Her mother was a fitter at the House of Worth in Paris and later became a professor at Medway College of Art.
- Her early influences were Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, and Emilio Pucci.
- Textile design instructor Barbara Brown inspired her interest in textile designs.
- She appeared as herself on the long-running BBC Radio 4 soap opera The Archers in 2006.
- She received an Honorary Doctorate from Heriot-Watt University in 2007.
- She appeared as herself in an episode of the second season of BBC show, Absolutely Fabulous.
- She was appointed Chancellor of the University for the Creative Arts in 2010.
- She was arrested for growing cannabis in 1986.
- She crashed her car into a hardware store in La Jolla, California, injuring a woman on 30 June 2009.