Anna Karen - Bio, Death, Husband, Age, Family, Net Worth, Height, Wiki
Anna Karen was a famed actress as a model who was widely known for her appearance as Olive Rudge in the ITV sitcom On the Buses from 1969 to 1973 including its film spin-offs and stage version and Aunt Sal in the BBC soap opera EastEnders on a recurring basis from 1996 to 2017. She also reprised the role of Olive Rudge in The Rag Trade from 1977 to 1978, while her film roles included parts in two Carry On films: Carry On Camping (1969) and Carry On Loving (1970). She made her debut in the movie "Nudist Memories" in 1961. Sadly, she dies at 85 due to a house fire at her home in East London.
Anna Karen leaves most of her £420,000 estate to EastEnders co-star Sophie Lawrence
"On The Buses" star, Anna Karen reportedly left the majority of her fortune to her former "EastEnders" co-star Sophie Lawrence, following her death in 2022. It’s been revealed that over £420,000 of her estate was left for her close friend Sophie Lawrence, 50, who played Diane Butcher in EastEnders between 1988 and 1991. According to probate records seen by the MailOnline, Anna will leave 65 percent of her net estate to Lawrence after payment of funeral and legal costs, inheritance tax, and a £1,500 legacy to another friend. Anna’s will reportedly leave a further fifth of the residuary of her estate to her stepdaughter Gloria Gill, the daughter of her actor husband Terry Duggan, who died in 2008. Another eighth was left to four other friends or relatives and the final 2.5 percent was left to the Actors' Benevolent Fund.
What was Anna Karen Famous For?
- Being a British-South African actress.
- For her role as Olive Rudge in the ITV sitcom "On the Buses".
How did Anna Karen die?
On 22 February 2022, after 22:30 GMT, the London Fire Brigade responded to a fire at Karen's home, where she was pronounced dead at the scene. She was 85 at the time of her death. Her death caused is house fire at her home. The cause of the fire is currently under investigation, though the Metropolitan Police said it did not appear to be suspicious. Her funeral took place on 18th March 2022 at Golders Green Crematorium and was attended by many of her co-stars, including John Altman, Jamie Borthwick, Peter Dean, Linda Lusardi, Kate Williams, and Vicki Michelle. A London Fire Brigade spokesperson confirmed: “Sadly, a woman has died following a house fire on Windsor Road in Ilford." Her family friend told, “We are absolutely horrified at the news about Anna.”
Her East London home went up in flames in February in a horror blaze that neighbors believe was started by a cigarette after she fell asleep while smoking. "She was apparently in bed at the time of the fire. It’s thought she fell asleep with a cigarette,” a source told.
Back in January 2016, she had a fall at her home in Ilford and broke her back, leaving her sofa-bound for eight weeks to recover.
What was Anna Karen's Nationality?
Anna Karen was born with the birth name of Ann Harrison McCall on 19th September 1936 in Durban, South Africa. Her father’s name was John and her mother’s name was Muriel McCall. Her nationality was South African-British whereas her ethnicity was Mixed. Her Irish father was an accountant while her mother was English. For the last time, she celebrated her 85th birthday. She developed an interest in acting at a young age and joined the South African National Theatre at the age of fifteen. She starred in several touring productions over the next two years until she fell afoul of the apartheid laws as she visited the ill daughter of the black stage manager. She starred in several touring productions over the next two years until she fell afoul of the apartheid laws as she visited the ill daughter of the black stage manager. She later enrolled at the London School of Dramatic Art. She began working as a kitchen porter, washing up at a local restaurant in the evenings to help pay for her rent and drama school fees, however, she learned that she could earn twice as much money if she worked as a striptease dancer in London's Panama Club, which she did.
Anna Karen Career Timeline
- Anna Karen made her film debut in the naturist movie "Nudist Memories" (1961).
- She then began her career as an extra in the comedy film "The Sandwich Man" (1966).
- She also had a small role as Carol White's neighbor in Ken Loach's kitchen sink drama film "Poor Cow" (1967).
- She then had a role as a schoolgirl in "Carry On Camping" (1969).
- Her next acting job was in the BBC sitcom "Wild, Wild Women".
- She next starred in the sitcom "On the Buses".
- After then, she had a role in another "Carry On film, Carry On Loving" (1970) in the final "food fight" scene, and appeared in an episode of "Dixon of Dock Green".
- She reprised her role in a spin-off film, "On the Buses" (1971). Two further spin-off films were made, "Mutiny on the Buses" (1972), and "Holiday on the Buses" (1973).
- Next, she returned to the theatre in 1974 and toured as Minnie in Who Goes Bare? and in Not Now, Darling as Miss Tipdale with Ian Lavender.
- After a year, she starred in a comedy pilot called "Milk-O" released under the Comedy Premiere series.
- She then had roles in the sitcom "...And Mother Makes Five" and in comedy sketch shows such as "The Kenneth Williams Show" and "The Dick Emery Show".
- From 1977 to 1978, she reprised the role of Olive in the LWT revival of the sitcom "The Rag Trade".
- Much of Karen's work in the 1980s and 1990s consisted of roles in the theatre.
- In 1981, she had a main role in the sci-fi children's film Stainless Steel and the Star Spies.
- From 1985 to 1986, she had a main role in the sitcom "Troubles and Strife".
- She also appeared in Roland Rat and The Sooty Show.
- In 1996, she played a supporting role in the film Beautiful Thing.
- She then appeared in the BBC soap opera "EastEnders".
- In 2006, Karen used her experience as a striptease dancer to act as a judge in the final edition of Channel 4's reality television documentary "Faking It".
- In 2008, she was a guest on Channel 4's "Sunday Night Project".
- In the year 2014, she had a role in an episode of Doctors while she later starred in the thriller film "No Reasons" (2016).
- She filmed scenes for Peggy's death in EastEnders in March 2016 and again in May 2016; when the scenes were broadcast, she was seen with a walking frame. She was later seen in a wheelchair during her final scenes in EastEnders in January 2017 and also at Windsor's funeral in January 2021, which would be her final public appearance.
- In 2017, Karen and several other members of the cast of Holiday on the Buses returned to the holiday camp in Wales where the movie was filmed as part of an On the Buses Fan Club trip. She regularly appeared at fan conventions until at least 2019.
Who was Anna Karen married to?
Anna Karen was a married woman. She tied the knot with her husband, Richard Smart (ex) in 1957. With Richard, she lived in Italy for several years while he trained to be an opera singer; however, the pair divorced and Karen returned to England. After that, she was married to actor/comedian Terry Duggan from 1967 until his death in 2008. She then lived in Ilford, East London. She had no children of her own whereas she brought up Gloria, Duggan's daughter from his first marriage. She was single at the time of her death. Her sexual orientation was straight.
How much was Anna Karen's Net Worth?
Anna Karen was a successful and very talented actress who had appeared in several movies and TV shows. Her main source of wealth comes from the entertainment industry. The net worth of Anna is estimated to have $17 Million as of 2022. She was making her salary in thousands of dollars from her profession. Prior to her demise, she was living a lavish lifestyle.
How tall was Anna Karen?
Anna Karen was a beautiful actress with a standing height of 5 feet 4 inches. Her exact body weight and her other body size have not been disclosed yet. Her body type was slim. Her hair color was grey and her eye color was green. She had a pretty smile.
Trivias About Anna Karen You Need To Know.
- She was born to Irish father and English mother.
- Aries was her zodia sign.
- She regularly taught drama on Saturday mornings at Brewers Academy, based in Hornchurch, East London.
- Karen was best friends with Dame Barbara Windsor, having met her during the filming of Carry On Camping.