Georginio Wijnaldum - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Family, Age, Facts, Career
Georginio Gregion Emile Wijnaldum, professionally known as Georginio Wijnaldum is a Dutch professional football player. He plays as a midfielder for English club Liverpool and the Netherlands national team. He started his youth career from Sparta Rotterdam in 1997. He then joined the youth system of Eredivisie side Feyenoord in 2004. He started his professional football career at Feyenoord in 2007 becoming the youngest player ever to represent the club. He later played for PSV and Newcastle United before joining Liverpool in 2016. He went on to win Premier League, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Super Cup, and FIFA Club World Cup with Liverpool. After a successful stint with Liverpool, he is set to join PSG in July 2021.
On the international level, he represented the Dutch national team at various age levels. He eventually made his senior international debut in 2011. He was named Dutch Footballer of the Year in 2015.
Georginio Wijnaldum Famous For
- Named Dutch Footballer of the Year: 2014–15.
Where was Georginio Wijnaldum Born?
Georginio Wijnaldum was born on 11 November 1990. His birth name is Georginio Gregion Emile Boateng. His parents are of Afro-Surinamese descent. His birthplace is in Rotterdam in the Netherlands. He holds Dutch nationality. He was born to his father Ramon van La Parra and his mother Maureen Wijnaldum. He has 2 siblings and one half-sibling, Rajiv van La Parra, Giliano, and Rogerio Wijnaldum. Following his parents' divorce, he moved in with his grandmother. He also took her maiden name "Wijnaldum".
His interest in football grew after he went to Sparta Rotterdam's opening day match with his cousin. The club's youth academy invited him. He won two championship titles in his first two seasons. He spent 7 years of his youth career in the club until 2004.
He then joined the youth system of Feyenoord in 2004.
- He was promoted to Feyenoord senior team in 2007.
- He became the youngest player ever to represent the club at the age of 16 years old.
- He spent five years at Feyenoord playing 135 matches and winning the KNVB Cup in 2008.
- He scored 25 goals in 135 appearances in all competitions for Feyenoord.
- He then joined PSV Eindhoven reportedly for 5 million Euro in 2011.
- He was an influential player for PSV that won the KNVB Cup 2011-12 and Johan Cruyff Shield in 2012.
- He played only 11 matches in the 2013-14 season due to a back injury.
- He captained PSV to their first Eredivisie title (2014-15 season) since 2008.
- He was also named the 2014-15 Dutch Footballer of the Year.
- He joined the English club Newcastle United in July 2015.
- He signed a five-year contract reportedly for a transfer fee of 14.5 million pounds.
- However, the club relegated to the Championship in Wijnaldum's first season at the club. He had scored 11 goals in 40 appearances in all competitions for Newcastle.
- Wijnaldum joined another English club Liverpool in July 2016.
- He signed a five-year contract with Liverpool for 23 million pounds plus 2 million in conditional add-ons.
- Wijnaldum helped Liverpool to reach UEFA Champions League finals twice in 2018 and 2019, winning the 2018-19 edition.
- Liverpool lost 1-3 to Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League 2017-18 final.
- Liverpool displayed one of their greatest comebacks ever when they defeated Spanish club Barcelona 4-3 on aggregate in the 2018-19 UEFA Champions League semi-finals. Wijnaldum came on in as a substitute and scored two goals in two minutes. Liverpool suffered a 3-0 loss in the first leg.
- Liverpool later won the UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup in 2019.
- He was also a key player for Liverpool that won the Premier League title for the 2019-20 season.
- His contract at Liverpool is set to end in July 2021.
- He then signed a contract with the French club, PSG as a free agent in June 2021. He will join the club in July 2021.
- He had received offers from Barcelona but PSG made the better offer to Wijnaldum.
- He represented the Netherlands national teams at various age levels.
- He has represented the Dutch U17, U19, and U21 football teams before making his senior international debut in 2011.
- He made his senior international debut against San Marino in September 2011. He was an unused substitute against Brazil in May 2011.
- He was a key player for the Dutch squad that finished third at the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
- He was also a key player for the Dutch squad that finished runner-up in the 2018-19 UEFA Nations League.
- He was named the Netherlands captain following an anterior cruciate ligament injury to Virgil Van Dijk in November 2020.
Awards and Achivements
- Eredivisie: 2014–15
- KNVB Cup: 2011–12
- UEFA Champions League runner-up: 2017–18
- FIFA World Cup third place: 2014
- Rotterdam talent of the year: 2007
- Dutch Footballer of the Year: 2014–15
Who is Georginio Wijnaldum's Wife?
Georginio Wijnaldum is not married. However, he is not single. The Dutch footballer has been in a relationship with Mirella Pereira. He was previously in a long-term relationship with Virginia Braaf with whom he shares two children together. Altogether, Wijnaldum has 4 children (Ki-yeann Lia Elouise, Jacian Emile, Julian Emilio, and Aysia-Mae) from two different relationships.
How Tall is Georginio Wijnaldum?
Georginio Wijnaldum stands at a height of 1.75 m i.e. 5 feet and 9 inches tall. He has a body weight of around 74 kg. He has an athletic body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. He usually keeps his hair short-trimmed. His sexual orientation is straight.
What is Georginio Wijnaldum Net Worth?
Georginio Wijnaldum earns from his professional football career. His income includes salary, bonuses, wages, contracts, and endorsements. PSV signed him for 5 million Euro in 2011. English club signed Wijnaldum for 14.5 million pounds in 2015. A year later, he joined Liverpool for 23 million pounds. His contract at PSG would pay him 10 million Euro in salary. As of 2021, his net worth is $14 million Euro.
Trivias About Georginio Wijnaldum You Need To Know.
- He wanted to become a gymnast or acrobat in his younger years.
- His parents are of Afro-Surinamese descent.