Jacob Collier - Bio, Net Worth, Girlfriend, Father, Height, Age, Facts
Jacob Collier is an English musician who rose to fame in 2012 after his split-screen covers of popular songs started to go viral on YouTube. Further, he is renowned for his energetic live performances, in which he often conducts the audience to sing multiple-part harmonies or percussions. His music incorporates elements from many musical genres and often features extreme use of reharmonization and close harmony. Besides this, He is known for fusing several music genres and for his liberal use of reharmonization. He was signed on by legendary musician Quincy Jones' management company in the year 2014. He released his debut album "In My Room" (2016) which was self-recorded, arranged, and produced in a small room of his family home in London. After a year, he was awarded Grammy Awards for his arrangements of "Flintstones" and "You and I" in 2017. He began working on "Djesse" in 2018 and released "Djesse Vol. 1" in December 2018. The second, "Djesse Vol. 2" was released in July 2019. He next won Grammy Awards for his arrangements of "All Night Long (All Night)" from Djesse Vol. 1 and "Moon River" from Djesse Vol. 2. The third volume, "Djesse Vol. 3" was released on 14th August 2020 winning a Grammy Award for "He Won't Hold You" in 2021.
What is Jacob Collier Famous For?
- Being a singer, music composer, producer, and multi-instrumentalist.
- For fusing several music genres and for his liberal use of reharmonization.
- Being the first British artist to receive a Grammy Award for each of his first four albums
Who are Jacob Collier's parents?
Jacob Collier took birth on 2nd August 1994. His real name is Jacob Moriarty. He is from North London, England. By nationality, he is British and he belongs to mixed ethnicity as he is of English and partly Chinese (through his maternal grandmother's) descent. He is Christianity by religion and as per his birthdate, his zodiac sign is Leo. He celebrated his 27th birthday in 2021. About his parents, he was born to his father, Patrick Moriarty, and his mother, Susan Collier. His mum is a violinist, conductor, and professor at the Royal Academy of Music Junior Academy whereas his dad Patrick Moriarty is an Amateur Musician. He grew up and spent his early life with his two siblings, Sophie Collier (Younger Sister), and Ella Collier (Younger Sister).
About his educational qualification, he went to Mill Hill County High School in north London and The Purcell School for Young Musicians in Bushey, Hertfordshire.
Jacob Collier Career Timeline
- Initially, Jacob Collier started his music career by uploading homemade, multi-instrumental content to YouTube in the year 2011. He released vocal arrangements of "Pure Imagination" from the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the "Chocolate Factory".
- Next, he released a multi-instrumental rendition of Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" in the year 2013.
- He alongside Ben Bloomberg, a Ph.D. student at the MIT Media Lab constructed multimedia live experience.
- In the year 2015, he launched a live show, touring Europe and the US. The show debuted at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London.
- Moreover, he opened for Hancock and Chick Corea at the 2015 Montreux Jazz Festival.
- In July 2015, Beats by Dr. Dre reached out to Collier to provide the music for the 'The Game Starts Here' England Rugby World Cup campaign.
- Further, he recorded a cappella version of the hymn "Jerusalem" for the commercial, which aired on national television before each England match.
- After he performed with WDR Big Band in a concert in Cologne, Germany; he began preparing his debut album "In My Room" in 2015 which was released on 1st July 2016 through the independent record label Membran Entertainment Group.
- He next embarked on a one-man world tour including the 2016 Montreux Jazz Festival.
- Also, he launched the "#IHarmU" campaign through Patreon, where 100 patrons sent him 15-second video clips of melodies, which he harmonized with multiple vocal parts with his multi-screen layout, and uploaded to social media.
- He was featured on Snarky Puppy's album, "Family Dinner - Volume 2" in February 2016.
- He also took part in a Quincy Jones tribute concert at the BBC Proms in the Royal Albert Hall in London on 22nd August.
- He next collaborated with 150 students at MIT to produce a 10th December live concert in Kresge Auditorium titled "Imagination Off the Charts" in December 2016 which residency was the subject of a documentary film, "Imagination Off The Charts".
- He won two Grammy Awards: Best Arrangement, Instrumental or A Cappella for the Stevie Wonder song "You and I" and Best Arrangement, Instrumental and Vocals for a cover of "Flintstones" in February 2017.
- He next made his US television debut on "The Tavis Smiley Show" where he performed a rendition of "You And I" with jazz-gospel a cappella group "Take 6" in 2017 and also he recomposed Samsung's signature ringtone, "Over The Horizon", for the new Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ in the same year.
- Moreover, he was co-producer on two songs from Becca Stevens's album, "Regina".
- Later, he was a guest on the daily weekday talk show "Harry". He was also a speaker at the annual TED conference in Vancouver, Canada.
- He performed a cover of "Under the Sea" which was released on 10th November 2017
- He toured internationally for two and a half years (between 1 July 2015 and 18 December 2017).
- After that, he performed again with the Metropole Orkest and Jules Buckley at the North Sea Jazz Festival on 9th July along with Cory Henry.
- He collaborated with American Pop/R&B singer Tori Kelly to record a "Cappella" YouTube video cover of the Christmas song "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas in December 2017.
- In December 2017, he announced that the One-Man-Show's final performance would be in Rome on 18th December 2017.
- On 29th October 2018, he announced a new four-volume, 50-song musical project, titled "Djesse". "Djesse" (Vol. 1) premiered live in Kresge Auditorium on 8 December 2018.
- The first single of the Djesse project, "With The Love in My Heart", was released on 2nd November.
- His two further singles, "Ocean Wide, Canyon Deep" and "All Night Long", were released in late November.
- Djesse Vol. 1 was released in full on 7th December which features collaborations with Voces8, Laura Mvula, Hamid El Kasri, Take 6, and his mother, Suzie Collier.
- In January 2019, he began the "Djesse" World Tour backed by a band, including Portuguese singer and multi-instrumentalist Maro, bassist Robin Mullarkey, and drummer Christian Euman.
- The first single from Djesse Vol. 2, "Make Me Cry", was released on 12th April 2019.
- On 26th April, he released the second single from the album, a cover of The Beatles' song "Here Comes The Sun" in collaboration with Dodie Clark.
- The third Vol. 2 single was then released on 13th June.
- The fourth and final single from "Djesse Vol. 2", "It Don't Matter" featuring vocals of American singer-songwriter JoJo was released on 5th July.
- On 19th July 2019, "Djesse Vol. 2" was released featuring cover artwork by Astrig Akseralian and further musical collaborations with Lianne La Havas, Oumou Sangaré, Chris Thile, Sam Amidon, Steve Vai, Kathryn Tickell, Becca Stevens and Maro.
- On 29th November 2019, he released the first single from Djesse Vol. 3, "Time Alone With You" in collaboration with Daniel Caesar. The video was premiered on YouTube on 5th December. As of 2022, it is his most viewed non-live performance video on the platform.
- Next, he appeared on Coldplay's eighth studio album, "Everyday Life", providing backing vocals for the tracks "Cry, Cry, Cry", "Everyday Life" and "Church".
- He was scheduled to continue touring in 2020 before the tour was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- He next released the second single "In My Bones" from Djesse Vol. 3 on 25th March 2020. In 2021, the three singles "All I Need", "He Won't Hold You" and "Running Outta Love" was released. The album Djesse Vol. 3 was released on 14th August 2020.
- After that, he performed songs from the album on various TV and radio shows which included performances of "All I Need" with Mahalia and Ty Dolla $ign on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, and with Mahalia on Later... with Jools Holland; a performance of "Running Outta Love" with Tori Kelly on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert; and a three-song set for a Tiny Desk Concert, performed from Collier's home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- On 13th January 2021, he alongside Mahalia performed "All I Need" on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
- On 26th January 2021, he performed "Sleeping On My Dreams" on The Late Late Show with James Corden.
- On 20th November 2020, he released a capella arrangement of "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)".
- He also released the book Songs of Jacob Collier, which includes arrangements for solo piano and the voice of 19 of his songs.
- On 1st January 2021, he released a voice memo recording of an original song "The Sun Is In Your Eyes" which was originally recorded in 2019, and a studio recording attempt was disregarded in favor of the original phone recording. Another version of the song premiered in a TED Connects Livestream on 10th April 2020.
- On 24th September 2021, Coldplay and BTS released their single "My Universe", to which Collier contributed background vocals. The track was debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on 4th October 2021.
Awards and Achievements of Jacob Collier
- Grammy Awards for Best Arrangement, Instruments, and Vocals for his work in "Flintstones" in 2017
- Grammy Awards for Best Arrangement, Instrumental or A Cappella for his work in "You and I" in 2017
- Grammy Awards for Best Arrangement, Instruments and Vocals for his work in "All Night Long" in 2020
- Grammy Awards for Best Arrangement, Instruments and Vocals for his work in "Moon River" in 2020
- Grammy Awards for Best Arrangement, Instruments and Vocals for his work in "He Won't Hold You" in 2021
- Jazz FM Awards for Digital Initiative of the Year in 2016
How much is Jacob Collier's Net Worth?
Jacob Collier is a talented and successful musician who has made a cool amount of money from his career work. Jacob Collier's net worth is estimated to be around $2 Million as of 2022. His main source of wealth is from the music industry and he is leading a modest lifestyle at present. His salary is thousands of dollars per year. Additionally, he has a YouTube channel which also helps him to boost his net worth.
Who is Jacob Collier's Girlfriend?
Jacob Collier is an unmarried guy and he is not dating anyone as of now. At present, he is living a single life, and he is focusing on his music career. No dating or affair news of Jacob romancing a woman is known to the public yet. He has never been romantically linked to a girlfriend by the media. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
How tall is Jacob Collier?
Jacob Collier is a cool musician standing at the height of 5 ft 9 in or 175 cm. His body type is slim. Jacob Collier's bodyweight measures 65 kg or 143.5 lbs. He has a pair of hazel eyes and his hair color is dark brown. His charming personality and glowing face have attracted a lot of people to him. His other body measurements are still to get disclosed yet. Overall, he has got a healthy body and he maintains his body a lot by doing frequent exercise. As well, he is conscious of his food intake.
Trivias About Jacob Collier You Need To Know.
- In 2017, he reinvented the ringtone Over The Horizon for the launch of Samsung’s Galaxy S8 smartphone.
- At the age of 10, he portrayed the role of Tiny Tim in the play A Christmas Carol, where he was credited as Jacob Moriarty, his birth name and real name.
- His debut album titled In My Room (2016) was self-recorded, arranged, and produced in a small room of his family home in London and his arrangements for 2 of the tracks from the album earned him Grammy awards.
- He belongs to mixed ethnicity as he is of English and partly Chinese (through his maternal grandmother's) descent.
- He is the first British artist to receive a Grammy Award for each of his first four albums.