Malcolm Gladwell Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Parents, Facts, Career, Wiki
Malcolm Gladwell is an English-born Canadian journalist, author, and public speaker who is best known for publishing seven books: The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (2000); Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (2005); Outliers: The Story of Success (2008); What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures (2009), a collection of his journalism; David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants (2013); Talking To Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know (2019) and The Bomber Mafia: A Dream, a Temptation, and the Longest Night of the Second World War (2021). He is also known as the host of the podcast Revisionist History and co-founder of the podcast company Pushkin Industries.
What is Malcolm Gladwell Famous For?
- Being a Canadian author and journalist.
- For working as a staff writer at The New Yorker since 1996.
- Being one of the most successful journalists turned authors as his first five books made it on The New York Times Best Seller list.
What is Malcolm Gladwell Ethnicity?
Malcolm Gladwell took birth on 3rd September 1963 as Malcolm Timothy Gladwell. His place of birth is n Fareham, Hampshire, the UK. He is Canadian by nationality and he is of English and Afro-Jamaican ethnicity. He is the son of an English father, Graham Gladwell, and an Afro-Jamaican mother, Joyce Gladwell. His father is a mathematics professor and his mother is a psychotherapist. He celebrated his 58th birthday as of 2021. At the age of six, he moved to Ontario, Canada with his family and he spent his entire childhood in Canada. He has two brothers. Throughout his childhood, he lived in rural Ontario Mennonite country, where he attended a Mennonite church. His great-great-great-grandmother was of Igbo ethnicity from Nigeria, West Africa. He completed his school education at Ontario High School. After high-school graduation, the University of Waterloo granted Gladwell an honorary doctorate in 2007. In the spring of 1982, Gladwell interned with the National Journalism Center in Washington, D.C. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in history from Trinity College of the University of Toronto, in 1984.
Malcolm Gladwell Career Timeline
- Initially, Malcolm decided to pursue advertising as a career due to his fewer grades.
- He began his journalism career with The American Spectator and moved to Indiana for the job.
- He worked as a writer for Insight on the News, a conservative magazine.
- In 1987, he was hired by The Washington Post, where he began covering business and science. He left the job in 1996 and became a staff writer for The New Yorker the same year.
- He gained popularity with two New Yorker articles, both written in 1996: "The Tipping Point" and "The Coolhunt".
- He wrote his first book in 2000 "The Tipping Point", for which he received a $1 million advance.
- He also served as a contributing editor for Grantland, a sports journalism website founded by former ESPN columnist Bill Simmons.
- Five years later, he published his second book titled, “Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking” (2005). His book entered The New York Times Best Seller list that year.
- His third book, Outliers, was published in 2008, and his fourth book, What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures, was published in 2009.
- His fifth book, David and Goliath, was released in October 2013 and examines the struggle of underdogs versus favorites.
- His sixth book, Talking to Strangers, was released in September 2019.
- His seventh book, The Bomber Mafia: A Dream, a Temptation, and the Longest Night of the Second World War was released in April 2021.
- Since 1996, he is working as a staff writer for The New Yorker and he has written several articles for which he has gained huge popularity.
- In 2005, he commanded a $45,000 speaking fee.
- Also, he is the host of the podcast "Revisionist History".
- He also has a music podcast with Bruce Headlam and Rick Rubin, titled Broken Record where they interview musicians. It has two seasons, 2018–2019 and 2020 with a total of 49 episodes.
Awards and Achievements
- 2005 – Time named Gladwell one of its 100 most influential people
- 2007 – American Sociological Association's first Award for Excellence in the Reporting of Social Issues
- 2007 – honorary degree from University of Waterloo
- 2011 – honorary degree from University of Toronto
- 2011 – Order of Canada, the second highest honor for merit in the system of orders, decorations, and medals of Canada
What is Malcolm Gladwell Net Worth?
Malcolm Gladwell is a successful journalist, author, and public speaker by profession. As of 2022, the net worth of Malcolm is estimated to have $30 Million. His main source of wealth comes from his journalism and author career. As per sources, he reportedly charges well over $40,000 for each of his planned presentations. In 2008, Gladwell invested in his first mansion in Manhattan’s West Village. He bought a fourth-floor apartment in an 1850s building at 23 Bank Street that cost him $1.5 million. He bought another apartment in 2012 in the same West Village. The third story of the same 1850s building at 23 Bank Street took almost $1 million out of his pocket. He is a big car enthusiast. He owns a 2003 BMW M5, with a base price of more than $70,000. He had a charming little Japanese sports sedan called the Lexus IS 250. He is living a luxurious lifestyle. He has endorsed only a few products in his career. He made an appearance in several “General Motors” television advertisements. With a six-month contract, he endorsed its electric vehicle technology project.
Is Malcolm Gladwell Married?
Malcolm Gladwell has never been married. He has never previously been married. He has kept his personal life very low profile. There are no rumors of his past and present relationships. He remains silent when it comes to his personal life. His sexuality has long been a source of contention. Many have accused him of being a closeted gay due to his lack of a woman in his life and his continual advocacy for LGBT rights. Whereas there is no solid proof about his sexuality being gay.
Malcolm Gladwell Height and Weight
Malcolm Gladwell has a perfect height of 5 feet 9 inches (1.75m) and his body weight consist of 58 kg. His hair color is brown and he has a pair of Hazel eyes. He wears a spectacle which suits him well. His body type is slim. He has a charming smile. He has curly hair.
Did You Know?
- He is an avid supporter of charities and NGOs.
- In 2016, he cameoed in the television series “The Jim Gaffigan Show.”
- In 2005, he was declared one of the 100 Most Influential People by Time magazine.
- He received an honorary doctorate from the University of Waterloo in 2007.
- He was among Canada's fastest teenagers at 1500 metres, running 4:14 at the age of 13 and 4:05 when aged 14. In college, Gladwell ran 1500 metres in 3:55. In 2014, at the age of 51, he ran a 4:54 at the Fifth Avenue Mile. At 57 he ran a 5:15 mile.