Olivia Newton-John - Bio, Net Worth, Death, Husband, Age, Facts, Wiki
Olivia Newton-John was a British singer, songwriter, actress, and activist. In a career spanning more than five decades, she has sold over 100 million records worldwide. Newton-John’s honey voice and sweet personality assured her success in a variety of genres, including pop, country, and adult contemporary. By the late 1970s, she established herself as the most prominent vocalist in America, garnering several gold and platinum records.
How did Olivia Newton-John Die?
At the age of 73, Olivia Newton-john died on August 8, 2022, at her Ranch in Southern California after suffering from breast cancer for more than 30 years. Breast cancer was cited as the cause of Olivia Newton-John's death.
Olivia was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992 - on the same weekend that her father passed away - and was given the all-clear after undergoing chemotherapy and a mastectomy. In 2013, the actress found out that she had cancer in her shoulder, and then in 2017 she revealed the breast cancer had spread to the base of her spine.
In August 2019, it was announced that the cancer had progressed to Stage 4. At that time, Newton-John revealed that she was selling, among other possessions, her iconic leather jacket and pants from Grease, with portions of the proceeds being donated to cancer research facilities in Australia.
Newton-John had openly talked about using cannabis oil to ease her cancer pain and has become an advocate for medical cannabis. Her daughter Chloe also owns a cannabis farm in Oregon.
What was Oliva Newton-John known for?
- Selling more than 100 million records worldwide, making her one of the world’s best-selling artists of all time.
- Being an activist for environmental and animal rights issues.
- Starring in the musical film Grease in 1978.
Where was Olivia Newton-John born?
Recalling her early life, Olivia was born in Cambridge, England. Her father Welshman Brinley "Bryn" Newton-John was a Welsh immigrant and an MI5 officer and her mother Irene Helene was the daughter of the Nobel Prize-winning atomic physicist Max Born. Her family emigrated to Melbourne, Australia in 1954, when she was six years old.
She demonstrated musical talents early, winning several talents contest and making television and radio performances while still in her teens. She formed a short-lived girl group, Sol Four, with her three classmates at the age of fourteen.
She was the youngest of three children, following brother Hugh, a doctor, and sister Rona. Regarding her education, She attended Christ Church Grammar School, and then University High School, near Ormond College.
When did Olivia Newton-John pursue her music career?
- Olivia Newton-John started her musical career in the mid-1960s after winning a talent contest on the television program Sing, Sing, Sing. Shortly after, she traveled to England and started performing at London pubs and cabarets. She signed a recording contract with Decca Records and released her debut single, “Till You Say You’ll Be Mine”, in 1966.
- Newton-John released her first solo album, If Not For You, in 1971. The title track peaked at number six on the UK Singles Charts and became the first of her twenty-seven U.S. Top Forty hits. Five of her singles topped the US Hot 100 charts, namely “I Honestly Love You” (1974), “Have You Never Been Mellow” (1975), and “You’re the One That I Want” (1978), “Magic” (1980).
- Newton-John’s love for country music resulted in soft-rock ballads that crossed over to the country-and-western radio stations. In 1974, she won the Country Music Association’s Female Vocalist of the Year Award. By the late 1970s and early 1980s, Olivia Newton-John cemented her reputation as the most important female vocalist in America, earning various gold records and Grammy Awards.
- In 1981, she released her highly successful album Physical. Its title track became the biggest-selling single of the decade, and two other singles “Make a Move on Me” and “Landslide”, also became huge international hits.
- Her other albums are Soul Kiss (1985), The Rumour (1988), Warm and Tender (1989), Gaia: One Woan's Journey (1994), Back with a Heart (1998), Indigo: Women of Song (2004), Stronger Than Before (2005), Grace and Gratitude (2006), Christmas Wish (2007), A Celebration in Song (2008), This Christmas (2012), Liv On (2016), and Friends for Christmas (2016).
- On 25 June 2019, The New York Times Magazine listed Olivia Newton-John among hundreds of artists whose material was reportedly destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire.
- In January 2021, Newton-John and her daughter Chloe Lattanzi collaborated on the duet "Window in the Wall", a song about unification.
How was Olivia Newton-John's Acting Career?
- Newton-John has had a notable acting career. She appeared in a number of movies, television series, and documentaries, including Grease (1978), Two of a Kind (1983), A Mom for Christmas (1990), A Christmas Romance (1994), and 1 a Minute (2010).
- She also made appearances as a guest judge in some reality television series including American Idol, RuPaul's Drag Race, and Dancing with the Stars.
- Her last film appearance was in the Australian Comedy film, The Very Excellent Mr. Dundee in 2020.
What are the achievements of Olivia Newton-John?
Olivia Newton-John has won numerous awards and accolades in her career, including four 4 Grammys, 10 American Music Awards, and nine Billboard Awards. She was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II in 1979. Newton-John received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1981.
Was Olivia Newton-John married or not?
Reflecting on her personal life, Olivia Newton-John had been married twice in her life. She married her long-time boyfriend, actor Matt Lattanzi, in 1984. Their only daughter, Chloe Rose Lattanzi, was born in 1986. The marriage ended in divorce in 1995.
In 2008, Newton-John married her second husband, John Easterling, an American businessman and environmentalist. John currently serves as the CEO and Chairman of Amazon Herb Company. The couple was together at the time of her death.
How much net worth did Olivia Newton-John earn?
Olvia Newton-John was involved in the music industry for a long time before she passed away and had sung many songs. From her singing career, Olivia had earned a decent amount of money. She further added money from her acting career. At the time of her death, her estimated net worth was said to be $60 million.
How tall was Olivia Newton-John?
Observing her body physics, Olivia stood at a height of 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighed around 60 Kg at the time of her death. She had a pair of light blue eyes and blonde hair color. Her body measured 34-23-34 inches. Her sexual orientation was straight.