Patti LaBelle Bio, Net Worth, Married, Husband, Daughter, Children, Age, Facts, Wiki, Height, Family, Albums, Songs, Tour, Religion, Real Name, News
Patti LaBelle is an American singer, actress, and entrepreneur who has sung the songs like "You are my friend", "If Only you Knew", "New Attitude", and "Stir it up". She is also popularly known as "Godmother of Soul". She has won a 1992 Grammy for Best Female R and B Vocal Performance for her album "Burnin" and also has been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and the Apollo Theater Hall of Fame. In her career span of 50 years, she has sold more than 50 million records worldwide.
What is Patti LaBelle famous for?
- Famous as the popular singer of 60s commonly identified as the "Godmother of Soul".
When was Patti LaBelle born?
Patti LaBelle was born on May 24, 1944, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States. Her birth name is Patricia Louise Holte. Her nationality is American. LaBelle belongs to African-American ethnicity while Gemini is her zodiac sign.
LaBelle is the second youngest child of Holte family born to Henry Holte(father) and Bertha Holte(mother). Her father was a railroad worker and club performer while her mother was a domestic. Her parents' marriage was abusive and even after their divorce, LaBelle at the age 12, was sexually molested by a family friend.
Patti has four siblings: two brothers Thomas Hogan Jr.(b. 1930) and Vivian Hogan(1932-1975), and two sisters Barbara(1942-1982) and Jacqueline(1945-1989).
LaBelle was interested in music since her childhood as she performed her first solo at the age of 12 after she joined a local church choir at the Beulah Baptist Church. She had a keen interest in listening to secular music styles such as R&B and jazz music.
LaBelle even won a talent competition while he was in her high school, "John Bartram High School" at the age of 16. Sooner then she and her classmate formed a singing group, "The Ordettes" in 1960.
LaBelle and her group was signed by local record label owner, Harold Robinson and were recorded as the Blue Belles. Later the name was changed to "Patti LaBelle and The Blue Belles" and then in 1965, the group was signed to Atlantic Records. Her group recorded several singles including "Down the Aisle", "You'll Never Walk Alone", "Danny Boy", "All or Nothing" and "Take Me for a Little While". By 1970, the group was dropped from Atlantic Records and then they signed as Labelle group with the Warner Music imprint Track Records and released their self-titled debut album in 1971.
Patti LaBelle's Career Highlights
- Patti LaBelle started her career with her group and released several songs and albums like Moon Shadow(1972), Pressure Cookin'(1973), Phoenix(1975) and Chameleon(1976).
- In 1974, the group signed with Epic Records and released their the most successful album to date, "Nightbirds".
- Their single, "Lady Marmalade" reached the no. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and sold over million copies. It also earned an RIAA gold.
- In October 1974, Labelle became the first rock and roll vocal group in the pop history ever to perform at the Metropolitan Opera House.
- In 1977, LaBelle signed a solo contract with Epic Records and released her first self-titled debut album the same year.
- The album included hit songs like "Joy to Have Your Love", "Dan Swit Me" and "You Are My Friend".
- Her most successful song, "I Don't Go Shopping" of her fourth album, "Release" was released in 1980.
- LaBelle then signed with Philadelphia International Records where she recorded a notable version of "Over the Rainbow" on the album "The Spirit's in It".
- In 1983, LaBelle released her breakthrough album, "I'm In Love Again" which included her top ten R&B singles "Love, Need and Want You" and "If Only You Knew".
- In 1984, LaBelle sang "Love Has Finally Come at Last" alongside Bobby Womack and appeared as a club singer in the film, "A Soldier's Story".
- In the same year, LaBelle recorded the songs "New Attitude" and "Stir It Up" for film, "Beverly Hills Cop".
- Her single, "New Attitude" released in late 1984 became her first crossover solo hit and a signature song.
- LaBelle then signed with MCA records and in 1986, she released her best-selling solo album to date "Winner in You".
- LaBelle released her solo album, "Burnin'" which earned her first Grammy Award in the Best Female R&B Vocal Performance category in the 34th Annual Grammy Award Ceremony of 1992.
- In 1994, she released her another album, "Gems" which featured the hit "The Right Kinda Lover"
- She then released her live album, "Live! One Night Only"(1998), which earned her her second Grammy.
- In 2006, she released her first gospel album, "The Gospel According to Patti LaBelle".
- On September 14, 2010, LaBelle made a return after two decades of her absence.
- In 2011, she appeared on "Oprah's Farewell Spectacular, Part 1" and was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the BET Awards.
- On June 10, 2014, LaBelle returned to Broadway as the cast and creative team of "After Midnight".
- In 2015, LaBelle was seen dancing on the 20th season of Dancing with the Stars alongside professional dancer Artem Chigvintsev.
- In 2017, LaBelle released her first jazz album, "Bel Hommage".
- Currently, she is scheduled to appear as a key advisor on the NBC series, "The Voice".
- On July 2, 2019, LaBelle was honored in Philadelphia with her very own street name Patti LaBelle Way.
- In November 2019, LaBelle was revealed to be the Flower on the second season of The Masked Singer.
Who is Patti LaBelle married?
Patti LaBelle is currently single. LaBelle was previously married to her husband, Armstead Edwards. Edwards was LaBelle's manager. The couple got married in 1969 and soon got separated in 1990 and divorced in 2003. The couple together has a son named Zuri Kye Edwards (born 1973), who is now her current manager.
LaBelle also has two other child-like her sons: Dodd and Stanley. Previously around 1964, LaBelle was engaged to Otis Williams. Williams is the founding member of The Temptations.
What is the net worth of Patti LaBelle?
The 75 years old, Patti LaBelle has a great earning through her professional career as a singer and entrepreneur. LaBelle has managed to amass a fortune worth million dollars through her several albums, and singles. Her estimated net worth is around $50 million.
How tall is Patti LaBelle?
Patti LaBelle is a beautiful lady. LaBelle has an average body physique. LaBelle stands tall with a height of 5ft. 5inch.(1.65m) while her body weighs around 64kg(141 lbs). She has a body measurement of 34-27-34 inches with her bra size as 34 A, her dress size as 6 (US) and her shoe size is 9 (US). LaBelle has a brown complexion with dark brown hair and dark brown eyes.