Richard Engel - Bio, Net Worth, Wife, Age, Family, Salary, Height, Son
Richard Engel is an American journalist as well as an author who is the chief foreign correspondent for NBC News. He is known for having covered the Iraq War, the Arab Spring, and the Syrian Civil War. Before he joined NBC in 2003, he reported on the start of the 2003 war in Iraq for ABC News as a freelance journalist in Baghdad. He received the Medill Medal for Courage in Journalism for his report "War Zone Diary". In the year 2004, he wrote "A Fist in the Hornet's Nest" about his experience covering the Iraq War from Baghdad. His most recent book, "And Then All Hell Broke Loose" was published in 2016.
What is Richard Engel Known For?
- Being a journalist and author.
- Being the chief foreign correspondent for NBC News.
Who are Richard Engel's Parents?
Richard Engel was born on September 16, 1973, in New York City, New York, USA. He holds American nationality and his ethnicity is Mixed as his father is Jewish, and his mother is Swedish. His present age is 48 as of 2021. His older brother, David, is a cardiologist at New York–Presbyterian Hospital. His father, Peter, a former Goldman Sachs financier, and mother Nina, who ran an antique store, feared for their son's future prospects because of his dyslexia. However, he overcame his problem and went on to have a successful education. He attended and completed his high school at Riverdale Country School. Later, he graduated from Stanford University in 1996 with a B.A. in International Relations. There, he occasionally wrote for The Stanford Daily. He spent one summer as an unpaid intern at CNN Business News in New York City. He graduated from Stanford in 1996 with a B.A. in international relations.
Richard Engel Career Timeline
- Richard Engel worked as a freelance reporter in Cairo for four years.
- He worked as the Middle East correspondent for The World, a joint production of BBC World Service, Public Radio International (PRI), and WGBH from 2001–2003.
- He was also a news reporter for USA Today, AFP, and Jane's Defence Weekly.
- Also, he served as a freelance journalist for ABC News. While working there, he masterminded covering the news of the Iraq war which was at the time, an international matter of concern. He was the only American television correspondent to remain in Baghdad for the entire war.
- In May 2006, he assumed his role as senior Middle East correspondent and Beirut bureau chief.
- He filed a number of reports from Lebanon during the 2006 Lebanon War.
- He became Chief Foreign Correspondent of NBC News in April 2008.
- In May 2008, he interviewed U.S. President George W. Bush, largely about his speech to the Israeli Knesset.
- In 2009, he was stationed in Kabul, Afghanistan, covering the country's August presidential election.
- He also covered the Libyan Civil War, where he was nearly shot in Benghazi.
- He also reported on the Israel-Gaza conflict of 2012, the continued violence stemming from the revolution in Syria and its consequent civil war, and the political transition of Egypt following the election of President Mohamed Morsi in June 2012.
- He is the host of the MSNBC special series On Assignment with Richard Engel.
- His latest documentary, Ukraine: Freedom or Death aired on April 22, 2022, and covered the first two months of the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Awards and Achievements
- 2006, RTNDA Edward R. Murrow Award
- 2006, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2007, Medill Medal for Courage in Journalism
- 2008, Peabody Award, for his coverage of the Viper Company, a remote U.S. Army unit in Afghanistan
- 2008, Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award
- 2008, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding Continuing Coverage of a News Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2008, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding Live Coverage of a Breaking News Story – Long Form
- 2008, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Best Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2009, George Foster Peabody Award
- 2009, Edward R. Murrow Award
- 2009, Society of Professional Journalism Award
- 2009, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding Continuing Coverage of a News Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2010, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Best Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2010, News & Documentary Emmy Award, Outstanding News Discussion & Analysis
- 2010, Gracie Award
- 2010, OPC David Kaplan Award for spot news reporting for a series of three reports from Afghanistan
- 2011, David Bloom Award, Radio and Television Correspondents' Association, for Excellence in Enterprise Reporting
- 2011, Daniel Pearl Award
- 2011, Overseas Press Club Award
- 2012, Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Award
- 2013, "Tex McCrary Award for Journalism Excellence, Congressional Medal of Honor Society"
- 2013, John Chancellor Award
- 2014, Peabody Award for his comprehensive look at the rise of ISIS
- 2015, Outstanding Coverage of a Breaking News Story in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2015, Outstanding Hard News Report in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast
- 2015, Fred Friendly First Amendment Award
- 2016, National Edward R. Murrow Award, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt Newscast, November 19, 2015, "Terror in Paris" Correspondent - Richard Engel
- 2017, New York Press Club, Feature Reporting, On Assignment with Richard Engel - "A Matter of Trust"
- 2019, Scripps Howard Award - National, International Coverage
- 2019, Edward R Murrow Award for Continuing Coverage, Network News.
- 2019, Sigma Delta Chi Award
- 2020, National Headliner Award
- 2020, George Foster Peabody Award
- 2020, National Press Club Edwin M. Hood Award for Diplomatic correspondence.
- 2020, New York Press Club Award.
- 2020, SPJ Sigma Delta Chi Award.
- 2021, Edward R. Murrow Award.
- 2022, NY Press Club Awards, Documentary National TV & Feature Reporting National TV.
- 2022, Deadline Club National TV Spot News Reporting.
- 2022, Telly Award Winner - Gold - On Assignment with Richard Engel, "Afghanistan: Graveyard of the Empires"
What is Richard Engel's Net Worth?
Richard Engel is a renowned journalist whose net worth is estimated to have between the range of $1 Million - $5 Million as of 2022. As per the sources, the average salary received by a journalist is around $40k per year. His main source of wealth comes from the journalism industry. He is living a lavish lifestyle at present.
Who is Richard Engel's Wife?
Richard Engel is currently married to producer, Mary Forrest. They married in May 2015. They have two sons: Henry, born in September 2015, and Theodore, born in August 2019. Henry Engel was born with Rett syndrome, a genetic disorder that is extremely rare in males; he died on August 18, 2022, at age 6.
Previously, Richard Engel was married to a fellow Stanford student; the couple divorced in 2005.
What is Richard Engel Height?
Richard Engel is a handsome journalist who stands at the height of 6 feet and his body weight consists of 60 KG. His body type is average. He has light brown hair and a pair of light brown eyes. He maintains his body a lot.
Trivias About Richard Engel You Need To Know.
- He speaks and reads Arabic fluently and is fluent in Italian and Spanish.
- Virgo is his zodiac sign.
- His grew up on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City.
- His father is Jewish, and his mother is Swedish.