Facts About Rick Astley
|57 Years Old
|Richard Paul Astley
|Singer , Songwriter , Radio Personality
|Place Of Birth
|Newton-le-Willows City of Lancashire, England
|Being an English singer, songwriter and radio personality.
|Best Known For
|For his association with the production trio Stock Aitken Waterman; his 1987 recording of their song "Never Gonna Give You Up".
|Source of Wealth
|Singing, songwriting and radio personality career
|5 ft 11 inches
|Instagram Wikipedia Twitter
Rick Astley, born Richard Paul Astley, is an English singer, songwriter, and radio personality. His hit singles are "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Together Forever", and "Whenever You Need Somebody" among others. After giving several hit songs, he retired from music between 1994 and 2000 to focus on his family. He returned to the industry full-time in 2000 and released several projects. He was nominated for Grammy Award for Best New Artist in 1989. For his contribution to the music industry, he has won several other awards.
Astley became an Internet sensation in 2007 when the music video for his song "Never Gonna Give You Up" became integral to the Rickrolling meme which revitalized his career once again.
What is Rick Astley Famous For?
- His hit singles are "Never Gonna Give You Up", "Together Forever", and "Whenever You Need Somebody".
- Internet meme sensation, known as rickrolling.
What is Rick Astley From?
Rick Astley was born on 6 February 1966. His birth name is Richard Paul Astley. His birth place is in Newton-Ie-Willows, Lancashire in England. He holds an English nationality. He has 3 older siblings. He has a sister named, Jayne Marsh. He was born to his father, Horace Astley, and his mother, Cynthia Astley. He belongs to the white ethnicity and his religion is Christianity. His zodiac sign is Aquarius.
Following his parents' divorce, his father was brought up by his father. However, he distanced himself from his father after he found out that his father was the one who kicked his mother out of the house.
Rick Astley Career
- Rick Astley was only 10 years old when he began singing in a local church choir. He formed and played the drums in a number of local bands during his school days. He left school at 16 and started working as a driver in his father's market-gardening business. At night, he played drums on the Northern club circuit in bands such as Give Way.
- His music career started to get shape when he joined the soul band, FBI as a drummer. Morris was a guitarist in the band. After the band's lead vocalist left band, Astley became the lead vocalist of the band.
- Record producer Pete Waterman noticed Astley who persuaded him to come to London to work at the Pete Waterman Limited recording studio, with RCA Records publishing his records. Under the tutelage of the production team of Mike Stock, Matt Aitken, and Pete Waterman, known as Stock Aitken Waterman (SAW), Astley was taught about the recording process and groomed for his future career, supposedly starting off in the recording studio "tea boy". SAW also hired most of the FBI including Morris.
- Astley released his first single, "When You Gonna" in collaboration with Lisa Carter in 1987. He released his first solo single, "Never Gonna Give You Up" in August 1987 which became a worldwide hit. The song reached number one in 25 countries and became the year's highest-selling single. The song won Best British Single at the 1988 BPI awards (Now BRIT Awards).
- He released his debut studio album, Whenever You Need Somebody in November 1987. The album reached number one in the UK and Australia and reached No. 10 in the US. The album includes his hit singles, "Never Gonna Give You Up" and "Together Forever".
- He released his second studio album, Hold Me In Your Arms in 1988. It included his hit single, "She Wants to Dance with Me" which became a worldwide top 10 hit. It was the first single that he wrote himself.
- Astley left Stock Aitken Waterman in 1991 and moved his musical direction away from dance-pop and towards the soul. He released his third studio album, Free in 1991 and his fourth studio album, Body and Soul in 1993.
- Astley retired from music in 1994 solely to focus on his family. He returned from his retirement to full-time music in 2000. He released his first album (fifth overall) upon returning, Keep It Turned On in 2001. He released his covers album, Portrait in 2005.
- Astley became an internet phenomenon in 2007 when the music video for his song "Never Gonna Give You Up" became integral to the Rickrolling meme. The meme's popularity revitalized his music career.
- He released his seventh album, 50 to celebrate his 50th birthday in 2016. The album debuted at No. 1. He released his eighth album, Beautiful Life in 2018. He released his greatest hits album, The Best of Me in 2019.
- Besides music, he also occasionally worked as a radio DJ and a podcaster. He became a radio DJ for London's Magic FM in 2010.
Who is Rick Astley Wife?
Rick Astley is a married man. He is married to film producer Lene Bausager. They first met in 1987 when Lene was working as a promoter with RCA. The couple got married in 2003. They share a daughter, Emilie, born in 1992. Emilie has a master's degree in fine art and is a garden designer.
The family lives in the Surrey town of Molesey.
What is Rick Astley Height?
Rick Astley stands around the height of 1.78 m i.e. 5 feet and 10 inches tall. He has a body weight of around 70 kg. He has an average body build. His eye color is brown and his hair color is dark brown. His sexual orientation is straight.
What is Rick Astley Net Worth?
Rick Astley is a popular English musician. Having started his music career in the 1980s, he has released numerous albums and owns several worldwide top 10 songs to his name. He has sold millions of records worldwide. The majority of his income comes from his music career. At present, his net worth is estimated at around $16 million.
Trivias About Rick Astley You Need To Know.
- Rick worked as a driver and local night club performer after dropping out of high school.
- He got a Brit Grant for his brilliant performance.
- Rick Astley began singing with the congregation choir.
- The music video for Rick Astley's 1987 debut hit "Never Gonna Give You Up" has been remastered in UHD, allowing wily pranksters to rickroll people in magnificent 4K resolution.
- After finding out that his father was the one who kicked his mother out of the house, Astley distanced himself from his father.
- His parents divorced when he was five years old.
- He met guitarist David Morris while playing for local bands.
- He was nominated for Grammy Award for Best New Artist in 1989.
- He was voted "Best Act Ever" by Internet users at the MTV Europe Music Awards in 2008.
- He co-hosted the Chris Evans Breakfast Show on BBC Radio 2 with Peter Kay in 2010.
- He appeared on CBeebies Bedtime Stories in October 2019.
- He started his TikTok account during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- His song "Never Gonna Give You Up" is the fourth 1980s song to reach 1 billion views, achieved in July 2021.
- He maintains a home recording studio.
- He has a collection of guitars.