Rocky Wirtz - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Wife, Children, Family, Facts, Awards, Career, Parent, Siblings, Height, Job, Company, Nationality, Education, Wiki
Rocky Wirtz is the owner and chairman of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks. Moreover, he is also the president of the Blackhawks' parent company, the Wirtz Corporation, a diversified conglomerate headquartered in Chicago. He oversees Wirtz Corporation's commercial and residential real estate companies, wine and spirits distributor, formerly Wirtz Beverage Group, now Breakthru Beverage Group, an insurance company, and banks in Illinois and Florida. He took over the Blackhawks following his father's death in 2007. His change in management style was praised by fans and, in 2010, led to the team's first Stanley Cup victory since 1961. His grandfather, Arthur Wirtz, bought the Blackhawks in 1954. Further, he is also half-owner of the Blackhawks' home arena, the United Center, along with Chicago Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf. He and Reinsdorf are co-chairmen of the arena's Executive Committee.
What is Rocky Wirtz Famous For?
- Being the principal owner and chairman of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks.
- Being the president of the Blackhawks' parent company, the Wirtz Corporation, a diversified conglomerate headquartered in Chicago.
Who are the parents of Rocky Wirtz?
Rocky Wirtz was born on 5th October 1952 in Chicago, Illinois, the USA. His birth name is William Rockwell Wirtz. By nationality, he is American and his ethnic background is American-White. His race is White. As of 2021, he celebrated his 69th birthday. About his parents, he was born to his father, Bill Wirtz, and his mother, Alice Wirtz. He also has four siblings namely Peter Wirtz, Gail Wirtz, Karey Wirtz Fix, Alyson Wirtz. His grandfather Arthur Wirtz bought the family’s first liquor distributorship in 1945. He grew up in the liquor business and assumed control of Wirtz Beverage Group in 2007. By 2014, Wirtz Beverage expanded outside the U.S. announcing it was taking over as the exclusive Canadian distributor for Diageo beer, wine, and spirits brands. The company was the first nationally established beverage alcohol broker in Canada. He follows the Christianity religion and his zodiac sign is Libra.
About his education, Rocky graduated from North Shore Country Day School in Winnetka, Illinois in 1971. In 1975, he graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in Communications.
Rocky Wirtz Career Timeline
- Growing up in the liquor business, Wirtz merged the $2.5 billion alcohol-distribution business with Charmer Sunbelt Group to create Breakthru Beverage Group in 2015. Today, Breakthru is one of North America’s leading distributors of wine, spirits, and beer brands with more than $6 billion in annual revenue and operations throughout the U.S. and Canada.
- At present, he currently serves as co-chairman of Breakthru Beverage Group.
- He inherited the Blackhawks upon the death of his father, Bill Wirtz, in 2007 becoming only the fifth principal owner in the franchise's 81-year history.
- His grandfather bought a stake in the Blackhawks in 1950, acquiring outright ownership in 1966 and selling a stake to Bill, who inherited full ownership upon Arthur's death in 1983.
- He stated in an interview that he would keep Dale Tallon as Blackhawks general manager and Denis Savard as head coach.
- He also affirmed at the time that Bob Pulford would remain as the team's senior vice president, but later reassigned him to Blackhawks liaison on NHL affairs.
- He announced the team negotiated with Comcast SportsNet Chicago (now known as NBC Sports Chicago, of which he is part-owner) to televise home games. It was on 22nd October 2007. That season, they began to show seven home games, with Wirtz citing pre-existing agreements Comcast had with another programming as a reason why the remaining 2007–08 home schedule could not air locally.
- Next, he hired former Chicago Cubs team president John McDonough, to become the new President of the team.
- The team even hosted the Detroit Red Wings in the 2009 NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field that season.
- After missing the playoffs for six straight seasons (and seven of the last eight), the team enjoyed a resurgence in 2009.
- Having built the team around a core of Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, and Brent Seabrook, the Blackhawks recorded their first 100-point season in 16 years.
- In the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Blackhawks defeated the Nashville Predators, Vancouver Canucks, and San Jose Sharks to advance to their first Stanley Cup Final since 1992. They later faced the Philadelphia Flyers in the Stanley Cup Final and won the Stanley Cup in six games on June 9, 2010.
- The Blackhawks eliminated the Minnesota Wild, Detroit Red Wings, and 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings to reach the Finals during the 2013 Stanley Cup where they defeated the 2011 Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins in six games, giving the Blackhawks a second championship in four seasons which marked the first game between Western and Eastern Conference teams all season due to the 2012–13 NHL lockout-shortened season.
- Further, it marked the first time since 1979 for an all Original Six Cup Final.
- After this championship, he alongside John McDonough, president, and CEO of the Blackhawks, took out a full-page ad in the Boston Globe thanking the city of Boston for respect and sportsmanship during the Cup Finals and praising their recovery from the Boston Marathon bombing.
- In the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Blackhawks eliminated the Nashville Predators, Minnesota Wild, and Anaheim Ducks to reach the Finals where they defeated the Tampa Bay Lightning in six games, giving the Blackhawks a third championship in six seasons which allowed them to win the Cup on home ice for the first time since 1961.
- Before the 2021–22 NHL season, former prospect Kyle Beach alleged he was sexually assaulted by a member of the Blackhawks' coaching staff in 2010.
- The Blackhawks conducted an internal investigation as well.
- Multiple executives and coaches on the team, including Stan Bowman, Joel Quenneville, and Al MacIsaac were aware of Beach's allegations in 2010 but failed to properly report the issue to police.
- The report also states that Wirtz was not aware of the allegations at the time. The Blackhawks and Beach ultimately reached an out-of-court settlement.
- On 2nd February 2022, he became agitated and responded harshly when asked about the incident during a town hall session with fans and reporters. He later apologized for his remarks.
Awards and Achivements
- Three-time Stanley Cup Champion (as the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks)
- 2014 Wine and Spirits of America Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2010 Chicago Innovation Awards Visionary Award
Rocky Wirtz Personal Life: Who is he married to?
Rocky Wirtz is a married man. He tied a knot to his beautiful wife namely Marilyn. The happily married couple is residing in the northern suburbs of Chicago. He has three children namely Kendall Wirtz, Hillary Wirtz, Danny Wirtz from a previous marriage with Kathleen Wirtz (ex-wife), along with a stepdaughter from his current marriage and six grandchildren. His son Danny Wirtz plays a large role in the Breakthru’s executive leadership as Vice Chairman, also serving on the company’s Board of Directors and Operating Committee. His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay.
How much is Rocky Wirtz Net Worth?
Rocky Wirtz is the principal owner and chairman of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks. As of 2022, the net worth of Rocky Wirtz is estimated to have $500 Million. His main source of wealth is from being Chairperson of the Chicago Blackhawks. His annual salary is around $25 Million-$50 Million. At present, he is living a luxurious lifestyle from his earnings. The Wirtz family became famous for owning the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks but got rich running a $2.5 billion wine and liquor distributor. In 2015, Wirtz merged the $2.5 billion alcohol-distribution business with Charmer Sunbelt Group to create Breakthru Beverage Group. Today, Breakthru is one of North America’s leading distributors of wine, spirits, and beer brands with more than $6 billion in annual revenue and operations throughout the U.S. and Canada.
How tall is Rocky Wirtz?
Rocky Wirtz is a 69-years-old who is a handsome man at the time of his era. He stands at the perfect height matching with his body weight. His body type is slim. He also wears a spectacle which suits him well. His hair color is salt and pepper whereas his eye color is green. Overall, he has got a healthy body with a charming smile attracting a lot of people towards him.
Trivias About Rocky Wirtz You Need To Know.
- Rocky Wirtz is the principal owner and chairman of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks.
- His grandfather Arthur Wirtz bought the family’s first liquor distributorship in 1945.
- His zodiac sign is Libra.
- In 1975, he graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in Communications.
- He merged the $2.5 billion alcohol-distribution business with Charmer Sunbelt Group to create Breakthru Beverage Group in 2015.