Last updated on August 22nd, 2023 at 05:23 am
Facts About Bernie Sanders
|81 Years Old
|Place Of Birth
|Brooklyn, New York City, U.S
|Brooklyn College University of Chicago (BA)
|Deborah Shilling (M. 1960; Div. 1969) and Jane O’Meara Driscoll (M. 1988)
|Carina Sanders, David Sanders, Heather Sanders, and Levi Sanders
|$ 2 million
|6 Feet 0 inch
|Source of Wealth
|As a Politician
|B.A. in Political Science
|Wikipedia, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
Bernie Sanders is an American politician who has been the junior United States Senator from Vermont since 2007. Additionally, he is the longest-serving independent in U.S. congressional history. He gained international recognition due to his campaign against Hillary Clinton for the party’s 2016 U.S. presidential nomination.
What makes Bernie Sanders famous?
The 2016 presidential campaign won't be leaving our memories anytime soon. In fact, it is probably forever burned into them. But, despite coming in a proverbial "third" in the race for the presidency, Bernie Sanders has managed to stay in the headlines. Whether it be taking to Twitter to disapprove of CEOs or persistently supporting the democratic party, Sanders has managed to keep in the public eye. And with the supporter base and funding from small donors to stay in the 2020 race for some time, he doesn't look to leave the public eye anytime soon.
Who are the Parents of Bernie Sanders?
Back to his early life, Bernie was born in Brooklyn, New York City, New York to father Elias Ben Yehuda Sanders, a paint salesman, and mother Dorothy “Dora” Sanders. Sanders became interested in the world of politics since his early life.
He had quite a rough childhood as his relatives in German-occupied Poland were killed in the Holocaust, including his father’s half-brother, Bernie’s uncle Abraham Schnützer. Sanders holds the American nationality. Furthermore, he belongs to the Ashkenazi Jewish ethnic background. Talking about his education, Sanders attended elementary school at P.S. 197 in Brooklyn. Additionally, he attended Hebrew school in the afternoons and celebrated his bar mitzvah in 1954. Furthermore, Sanders attended James Madison High School. He then studied at Brooklyn College for a year in 1959–60. Eventually, he transferred to the University of Chicago and graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in political science in 1964.
When did Bernie Sanders pursue his career as a politician?
- Bernie Sanders spent the next few years working in a succession of jobs including stints as a filmmaker and freelance writer. He also spent several months on an Israeli kibbutz. His interest in politics grew during the 1960s and he began his political career in 1971 as a member of the Liberty Union Party.
- He started working as a writer and the director of the nonprofit American People's Historical Society (APHS) after leaving the Liberty Union. In 1981, he was elected mayor of Burlington, Vermont, by only 12 votes.
- He implemented major reforms in progressive taxation, environmental protection, childcare, women’s rights, youth programs, and the arts. As mayor, he proved to be a very popular one and was ultimately re-elected three times, defeating both Democratic and Republican candidates.
- In 1990, he won a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. An independent candidate, he now needed to find political allies to advance his issues. So he entered into a caucus with the Democrats and co-founded the Congressional Progressive Caucus. As an outspoken man, he vocally criticized the Iraq War and was concerned about the social and financial impact it would cause. Sanders served in the House from 1991 until he became a senator.
- In 2006 he ran for the Senate against Republican businessman Richard Tarrant. He won the election and assumed office as the United States Senator from Vermont on January 3, 2007.
- As a senator, Sanders posted an open letter to Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson decrying the initial bank bailout proposal. in 2008, and received much media attention for his 8½-hour speech against the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010.
- Already a much-beloved politician, he received even greater acclaim following the speech. The citizens, impressed by his outspoken stance on tax and insurance, signed online petitions urging Sanders to run for the 2012 presidential election. He even received encouragement from prominent personalities like Rabbi Michael Lerner and economist David Korten who supported his progressive views.
- As a senator he has served on several committees such as the Committee on Budget; the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions; the Committee on Veterans Affairs and the Joint Economic Committee. Sanders is also a member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works and the Energy and Natural Resources Committee.
- Bernie Sanders has always been critical of U.S. foreign policy and an outspoken opponent of the Iraq War. He supports LGBT and civil rights and opposes racial discrimination in the criminal justice system and mass surveillance policies. In 2015, he announced that he was seeking the presidential nomination for the Democratic Party in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
- In February of 2019, Sanders became one of many to announce that they would be running for President in the Democratic primary. Much of his 2016 platform - healthcare reform, environmental reform, free college tuition, etc. - remained integral parts of his 2020 campaign.
- On April 15th, 2019, Sanders released ten years of tax returns, confirming his status as a millionaire. Sanders attributed this to the success of his book, telling the New York Times, "I wrote a best-selling book. If you write a best-selling book, you can be a millionaire, too."
Who are the wives of Bernie Sanders?
Reflecting his personal and love life, Bernie Sanders was married to Deborah Shilling who he divorced, in 1966. Then he became involved with Susan Campbell Mott who gave birth to his son, in 1969.
Years later in 1988, he tied the knot again with Jane O’Meara Driscoll. He considers Jane’s three children from a previous relationship as his own. He also has seven grandchildren.
How much net worth Bernie Sanders owns?
Sanders currently has a salary of about $174,000. Additionally, he has an estimated net worth of around $ 2 million. Compared to the current president, it's a bit meager. Still, the ultra-famous proponent of democratic socialism has had a pretty long career, spanning several different occupations.
How tall is Bernie Sanders?
Talking about his body measurement, Sanders has a height of 6 feet 0 inch Furthermore, his weight is 176 lbs, his hair color is grey and eye color is white. His other body information is yet to be revealed. In the case of revealed, we will let you know.
Trivias About Bernie Sanders You Need To Know.
- Mayor of Burlington, the largest city in Vermont, 1981-1989.
- In the summer of 1963, he was found guilty of resisting arrest during a demonstration against segregation in Chicago's public schools and was fined $25.
- On Tuesday, February 19, 2019, he launched his 2020 Democratic Presidential Campaign.
- He would be the first president born during World War II, the first and only Silent Gemeration President, the First Jewish President, the third divorced president along with Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump and the third President born in New York City along with Theodore Roosevelt and Donald Trump.